New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieseler View Post
    And people wonder why I spend so much time looking for the best and right tire for my rides. Bagong labas pa lang ng casa eh palit na kaagad? And they wonder why I refer to a certain tire as Goatyear?
    Pareho pala tayo... I hate those tires.

Actually, I was thinking of getting the Fortuner's Forteras (despite my sentiments on grip), because they are better, at least, than the stock XUV tires... but after this... uhhhh... we're probably just getting a better vehicle... and it probably won't be a Fort. :lol:

Anyone know what the stock tires on the Santa Fe are?

SOP ko rin when I buy a car, look at rims and tires. Rims are optional, but tires are a must. Just didn't do it with the Lynx, because the stock tires (Advan) were darn good.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hankook DynaPro HP (plus?) on 17" 5-spoke magwheels.

The grip of that thing is fantastic (although there might be better). I can make 100kph-0 stops easily with no skids. My problem with Santa Fe CRDi is the speed, it picks up speed quite fast for such a big car and it's unnoticeable without looking at the speedo (i think every santa fe driver experienced that) due to the lack of noise and body vibration.

My experience with Goodyear is quite bad, it's easy to make the tires screech from 0 and sudden stopping from high speed. Didn't notice that with Bridgestones though.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ukh... the local Santa Fe has 16" rims, I think... I'll go check it out later... oops... sobrang OT na...

RE: Tires... again, I'd expected the Forteras to be better than that, but most trucks here are equipped with tires built to last 200,000 kms... not to provide decent grip and/or safe handling.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hmmm, ill check. it's either 17 or 18" but definitely not 16.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i'm not defending mr. quintal...but when people say "slow down" when the road is wet, how slow dapat? Considering that the max speed in Skyway is 100kph, and he was driving at 80, that in itself can mean that he slowed down (- 20 kph). "Slow down" is very subjective.

I think we have max speed limits for wet weather though...60 i think?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    My fellow enthusiasts, first of all I would like to put on record that never will it be morally right to blame the vehicle or the driver without a thorough and speedy investigation first... this said we must all remember that a life was lost here. And it would be to the very least fair by giving justice to that life lost and get to the bottom of it all.

In the US at least, if an accident like this would happen you would have the major authorities involved instantly solving these kinds of situations in the soonest timeframe... and since transportation vehicles are involved you would see the NTSB breathing down the necks of the makers of these vehicles to see if there were indeed flaws in their manufacturing processes or defects in all vehicles involved... that's how they value life there.

Dito may namatay na ... hesitant pa rin tignan kung may pagkakasala sa mga vehicles tapos sabay turo kaagad sa driver...( although in this incident, the driver of the fort has claimed all responsibility for the accident... bakit kaya? abangan!)

It's just like a plane crash that most of the time when all passenger's perish and no immediate errors on the plane are found... they conclude... pilot error.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    it depends on the situation. Just the other day, it rained so hard that even with the wipers at max speed with foglights and high beams, i still can't see anything. I found 30kph suitable so i maintained 30kph.

I have 20/20 vision.
    Last edited by Horsepower; October 12th, 2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: secret

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Driv3er View Post
    i'm not defending mr. quintal...but when people say "slow down" when the road is wet, how slow dapat? Considering that the max speed in Skyway is 100kph, and he was driving at 80, that in itself can mean that he slowed down (- 20 kph). "Slow down" is very subjective.

Maximum speed anywhere is a "lawful recommendation".

However, speed is (personally) defined by the max speed recommended, speed of the other vehicles on the road, condition of the road, weather condition, who are with the driver, time of the day, etc.

:starwars:

9. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Driv3er View Post

At those conditions, it is the driver's decision {but when people say "slow down" when the road is wet, how slow dapat?} how much he can slow down and control the steering of the vehicle to prevent accident. Each drivers has different skills depending on experiences and know how. The problem is there are times drivers become aggresive.
    What is important is to practice what we call defensive driving. Take note : we can prevent accidents.

Sympathy and condolences to the victims and to the drivers of both Isuzu and Toyota, hope this serve as a lesson, drive cautiously and defensively.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Whoa... slow down people on the speculation about poor tires, hydroplaning, overspeeding, etc.

We have yet to receive HARD facts from the ones involved in the driver and the only thing that we know about the accident is taken off a few sentences in a newspaper.

RE: Tires of the Fortuner. If it were Forteras then AFAIK it would have an "A" rating for traction. These are street-biased tires against its rival the Dueler (which have a traction rating of "B" only). That is if it was rolling on stock tires since every other Fortuner that I've seen is sporting bling-blings on high performance tires.

===

On AWD & Hydroplaning. In some situations an AWD vehicle (which the Fortuner is) which hydroplanes has a greater change of losing control. This can happen when only the front wheels lose traction and power is suddenly transfered to the rear tires. If the driver panics and hits the brakes - he can spin out the vehicle easily (if the vehicle is not equipped with a traction control system).

In the Rav4 (another AWD vehicle), I've felt the front wheels lose traction a few times already but it recovered itself (after transfering more power to the rears then back again to a 50/50 split once it gained traction in the fronts). All I had to do was just ease on the accelerator and keep the vehicle pointed straight.
    Last edited by mazdamazda; October 12th, 2006 at 03:52 PM.

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured