New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski View Post
    Guys, let's not be quick to judge...

We found out from experts here that we don't have to speed that much in order to hydroplane. Maaring below the speed limit sila when the accident happend. It may be that the road and weather conditions just conspired against the drivers involved.

Ingat na lang talaga tayo mga partners, especially when driving during inclement weather.
    Ang sabi ng driver ng Fortuner nasa 80 kph ang kanyang takbo.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post

Siya yung pinakita kaninang umaga napanood ko to sa Unang Hirit. Sinabi pa nga nyang hindi nya tatakbuhan financial obligation sa mga biktima.
    what about the legal obligations?

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Dapat may criminal liability din itong taong ito. Although unintentional , his action killed someone. Swerte nya nabuhay yung driver ng Trooper na binangga nya. Kung hindi, multiple murder kaso nito.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    I think it was indeed a couple of months ago when I opened up the topic regarding the stability of the Fortuner due to its height vs. width and center of gravity that was indeed too high and thus distribution of weight would indeed make physics dictate that it was indeed very unstable for roll overs and skids... However many argued that despite these obvious observations of many, a lot seemed to defend the vehicle... I therefore kept my silence and learned from these comments... but after this personal experience yesterday of witnessing a falling vehicle just beside my own SUV on the opposite lane of SS Hiway and with my family with me... I said these things always and only happens in the Philippines due to our very poor concern for the value of safety measures. " falling vehicles from the sky?..." Damn ... how unlucky can one get?!

After all these news and investigations here and there it seems that indeed there was no race or overspeeding! the Toyota Fortuner was indeed within speed limits of 70 - 80kph ... there was a heavy downpour of rain during that time... I was a witness to that so I myself kept it to a speed of 70 to 80 on the north bound lane of SLEX.

Hydroplaning at 80kph makes it even worse for the Fortuner!... witneses and the driver stated that he lost control of the vehicle and began to swerve left to right and spin hitting the Trooper which in turn went out of control and overshoot the railings...

Now isn't that a thought to contemplate on...

BTW it can't be murder because there was no premeditation of the crime... only homicide will do with multiple physical injuries...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Tsk tsk. Sure hope the actions of 1 idiot doesn't have repercussions on responsible speeders.

Manslaughter ang kaso nito. Indirect e.
    Last edited by Flagg; October 11th, 2006 at 09:59 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i hope that car manufacturers would move to put high-end tires on their brand-new cars. bakit ba parating budget tires (e.g. Taiwan Bridgetone on Vios, Thai Bridgetone previously on CR-V's) ang gamit ng manufacturers? hindi iyon dapat tinitipid.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc GM View Post
    I think it was indeed a couple of months ago when I opened up the topic regarding the stability of the Fortuner due to its height vs. width and center of gravity that was indeed too high and thus distribution of weight would indeed make physics dictate that it was indeed very unstable for roll overs and skids... However many argued that despite these obvious observations of many, a lot seemed to defend the vehicle... I therefore kept my silence and learned from these comments... but after this personal experience yesterday of witnessing a falling vehicle just beside my own SUV on the opposite lane of SS Hiway and with my family with me... I said these things always and only happens in the Philippines due to our very poor concern for the value of safety measures. " falling vehicles from the sky?..." Damn ... how unlucky can one get?!

After all these news and investigations here and there it seems that indeed there was no race or overspeeding! the Toyota Fortuner was indeed within speed limits of 70 - 80kph ... there was a heavy downpour of rain during that time... I was a witness to that so I myself kept it to a speed of 70 to 80 on the north bound lane of SLEX.

Hydroplaning at 80kph makes it even worse for the Fortuner!... witneses and the driver stated that he lost control of the vehicle and began to swerve left to right and spin hitting the Trooper which in turn went out of control and overshoot the railings...

Now isn't that a thought to contemplate on...

BTW it can't be murder because there was no premeditation of the crime... only homicide will do with multiple physical injuries...
    certainly yes, this is a thought to contemplate on... but whatever you ride is, you should be extra cautious... i experienced Hydroplane while driving a galant cruising along sta. fe (NV) at 80 kph.. i didnt blame the car.. i blame myself for not being judicious...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Granted that some vehicles are more idiot-proof than others, I wouldn't blame any vehicle for this crash. It is the responsibility of the driver to know the vehicle's limitations and capabilities. There is no idiot light on the dashboard for that.

At least the vehicles performed well during the actual crash. I couldn't say the same for the innocent jeepney, though.

Btw, the Fortuner is a 3.0 D4d unit. It has fulltime 4wd.

I wonder if this crash will be featured in 'C!'?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Granted that some vehicles are more idiot-proof than others, I wouldn't blame any vehicle for this crash. It is the responsibility of the driver to know the vehicle's limitations and capabilities. There is no idiot light on the dashboard for that.

At least the vehicles performed well during the actual crash. I couldn't say the same for the innocent jeepney, though.

Btw, the Fortuner is a 3.0 D4d unit. It has fulltime 4wd.

I wonder if this crash will be featured in 'C!'?
    Especially considering the driver is as experienced as Quintal is, who should realize the limitations of the Fortuner's set-up.

I wouldn't go so far as to accuse him of manslaughter, as the speed you drive in the rain is down to personal judgement and discretion (as DocGM said, he himself was also going about 80, a speed many drivers feel is the maximum safe speed in the rain), but this should be a humbling experience for him, and a reminder to him to stay vigilant. Very traumatic din siguro... even if you tell yourself: "it was just a freak accident", you'll know in the back of your mind if you'd done something different, or driven slower, or picked somewhere else to overtake, that wouldn't have happened.

And like I said in my previous post and in previous threads... AWD doesn't mean squat once you really lose it. No grip means no difference between AWD and anything else.

He'll probably write it up in a column, with a public apology, probably. It's what I would do.
    Last edited by niky; October 11th, 2006 at 11:14 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

no manslaughter here in 'pinas. homicide.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Just wondering, was Quintal really speeding? There seem to be lots of conflicting reports. Some say he was speeding and some claim he wasn't speeding. Btw, was the incident because of driver error or machine failure or both.

Vehicle falls from Skyway; 4 injured