New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    *yebo: I agree with you completely. Anyone in that situation can insist on right of way and throw courtesy out of the window and still be in the right. But many courteous drivers will see the lack of courtesy as a fault, not a fault in driving skill but a fault in the personality of the person. But again that comparison is relative to each person's courteousness.

Not giving way may not make him a bad driver, but definitely it does not make him a good one as well.

Dito ka mali.

it is a suggestion for keeping yourself out of trouble from drivers who do not know the rules of the road

Road courtesy extends beyond this. It is also a suggestion to share the road and give other drivers fair use of public roads.

I never said extending courtesy is a law nor is it obligatory - isa pang mali mo.

Saan yung 50% kong mali? Mali ako to promote defensive driving? Mali ako to suggest that people be more polite on the road? Mali ako na maganda kung mag bigayan tayo sa daan? Mali ako dahil kapag meron akong nakitang hirap na hirap lumipat ng lane ay pinagbibigyan ko?

In stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic, you will almost never get that 3-4 car length window to cross over to the next lane. You won't even get a 1-2 car length window. This is where road courtesy helps in keeping traffic in order.

BTW, I agree with your example regarding right of way at an intersection. These rules were made to remove the confusion and to put order as to who goes first and who goes next. But they're no were related to changing lanes or merging.

Ako din meron example.

When being passed (overtaken)
    The driver of a vehicle to be overtaken and passed by another vehicle approaching from the rear shall give way to the overtaking vehicle, and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

But then again, just like your example, even this example may not be relevant.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010

Rule 3: Yield Anyway!

Yield Anyway!

"Nobody ever yielded their way into a collision." Think about it. If you are in doubt about who has the right of way, give it away. The other guy may be wrong, but you can end up hurt or dead. We often say no one HAS the right-of-way until it is yielded to them. (Keep in mind I'm talking defensive driving practices, not traffic law.) Right of way rules are often misunderstood, and there are situations where the rules may not be clear to everyone. If there is uncertainty about which vehicle should have the right of way, give the other guy the road. When it comes to driving safely, it's not the principle, but the outcome, that counts.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    There was no mention of using signals lights....
    The TS already noticed that the Accord is squeezing his way.... he could have evaded if he wanted to.... those are the things that i found lacking....

Maybe the accord driver is aggressive but the fact is we don't know the whole story.... baka matagal na silang nag-gigitgitan....

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    It's not the issue of who went first and who has the right of way but who is man enough to give way.

I myself, give chances to others who are merging into my lane as long as a part of their cars are already " in ", I would not try & squeeze myself just because I'm in the position to do so -- i had the right of way.

However, if one was just signaling to cut into my lane then, if he would not make a move abruptly I would surely pass him. But if he signals, especially when he let his hand out and tells me if he could pass through, then definitely I would let him.

Yes, you have the right of way but that does not give you authority to become a bullsh!t on the road. It's like having a gun with papers ... yes, it is legal for you to carry one but to show it off to scare people is a different thing. Same goes with having a license, you are entitled to drive a car but does not give you the authority to sh!t someone off on the road.

It's usually a give and take basis. Give way, and next time you will cut yourself though, you will most probably be also given way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Unruly driver of Honda Accord with plate WJM 177