New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was on duty yesterday when firetrucks along A.H. Lacson St., apparently responding to a fire, hit the right front of a Corolla AE101 taxi who got stuck in the Dapitan crossing when the trucks ran the red light.

SOP for crashes involving emergency (fire/police/rescue) and high value target (e.g. money trucks) vehicles is that they leave some sort of identification (even just throw it out the window) so that whatever matter has to be settled, can be settled at a later time. [Remember how we had to sue Land Bank when their money truck rammed our Sentra and ran off?]

Unfortunately, the firetrucks just ran off leaving the wrecked taxi on the street.

I'm not sure if anyone got the plates. Halo-halong trucks na kasi sila. Volunteer at BFP trucks.

Granting they were on their way to a legitimate emergency, they should also be responsible enough for their actions. Medyo nasira tuloy ang tingin ko sa mga bombero. Mahiya naman sila. Their job is to save life and property...but if they wreck stuff and endanger lives in doing so, bale wala din.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Malas naman ng taxi ... teka matanong lang po, if mangyari sa akin yon and unfortunately hindi ko nakita ang plate number, paano insurance claim nun?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Isn't it partly the taxi's fault for blocking the way? Vehicles are supposed to keep intersections open. If you ask me, at least it taught some people a lesson about following traffic regulations. What if it was an ambulance with a victim inside and the taxi blocked the intersection. Although, I was not there so it's hard to judge.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From my point of view, the taxi was not blocking the intersection. The taxi was on the greenlight and had stopped crossing to let the emergency vehicles pass. Unfortunately, its nose still got nudged by the firetruck.

Nevertheless, fault or no-fault, the firetruck should have executed the proper protocol for such situations.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ah yes, tama si sir otep. they should be responsible enough. but let us not judge at once. the firetruck "may be" responsible enough that they knew they did something and after the emergency they went back to check on the taxi, sometimes sa police report na nila nakikita kung sino yung taxi, and would pay or help their due to the taxi (victim).

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Haha, kung BFP yan good luck. Kung may sunog ka, you should have a lot of cash to pay em to hose your fire (kung wala, malas mo). After the fire, they'll accompany you into your place hoping you're retrieving some valuables and if you do, then.... you become a victim of the fire. Tsk tsk. SOP na nga that they slash the hoses of the Volunteer trucks para wala talagang magawa yung property owner.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Oh, I stand corrected then.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They should have left their number, but they didn't.

Even if it is the fault of the fire brigade, it's impossible to make claims against vehicles responding to an emergency.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Even if it is the fault of the fire brigade, it's impossible to make claims against vehicles responding to an emergency.
    No, its not impossible. Remember the ambulance that crashed head-on onto a schoolbus? What if the firetruck was on its way to rescue a cat from a tree and in the process rammed another vehicle injuring its occupants? Even when responding to emergencies, there are still risks and benefits to be weighed.

In PGH, ambulance crews can't even use the siren of their ambulances (esp. the IVECO Lightning units) without doctor's orders.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    while we all don't know what the circumstances sorrounding the taxi and the firetruck are, chances are, it was unavoidable.... if the fire truck had any other recourse, i'm sure he would have done everything to avoid the cab... no one would want to wreck another vehicle on the road anyway, considering that it would also damage the fire truck which they maintain out of their own pockets...

there are a lot of motorists, both public and private vehicles who ignore the wails of sirens of emergency vehicles... we all know this, maybe you have even seen one, or maybe you are even guilty one time or another (i know i am)...

maybe when they see the emergency vehicle, they think its still far anyway, so it's ok to overtake the vehicle in front of them (or cross) and use the fire/emergency lane in doing so... (which ever lane the emergency vehicle is on is an emergency lane wherein all vehicles should give way)...

we have to understand that a firetruck is no ordinary vehicle considering the momentum that it sustains while moving... so the stopping power is definitely not as good as a car's...

just last night, i saw this happen at the slex where a fire truck was on the passing lane, doing about 100kph, lights and sirens blaring... a cab about 700meters away in front overtook another vehicle (maybe he thought that the fire truck is still far away anyway, and he could make the pass) at 60kph... it would take no genius how fast the fire truck would catch up with the cab who was going slower... put into consideration the weight of the water the fire truck is carrying, you could only imagine what might have happened... fire truck almost hit the cab... i even heard the wheels of the fire truck lock for a moment....

another time, i witnessed 2 firetrucks coming from mabuhay rotonda along espana who were going to cross forbes... again, lights and sirens blaring, mmda stops forbes traffic to let the fire trucks cross... fire truck 1 sees mmda clear traffic, resumes acceleration (maybe doing about 60-70kph at the time) towards morayta/ust.. guess what happens next... truck is about 100meters away from intersection

college kid on a white honda city (maybe late for a class, coming from nagtahan) thinks he can make it accross, turns on his siren (yes, he has a siren), darts accross the intersection... thing is, pedestrians were crossing forbes since the mmda officer already stopped forbes traffic to let the trucks pass... so there he was, blocking the intersection coz of the pedestrians on the pedestrian lane, while the fire trucks get closer and closer to the intersection... honda city stud didn't expect to get stuck in the intersection...

case in point, in both cases, fire truck driver is in a dilemma...

truck on espana :
    if he brakes, he may be rearended by the truck behind him who also assumed a clear intersection; if he change lanes or swerves to avoid the city, he might and would hit other vehicles to the side, worse, he would be endangering not only those other vehicles on the road, but most of all, his passengers who should be his utmost concern... he has decide in a split second...

truck on slex :
    he's on momentum, remember the weight, if he swerves, not only might he hit the vehicles beside him but risks turning over (add to the fact that it's the two lane section of slex)....
    if he brakes too hard, he would skid and might hit other vehicles, and most of all, would endanger those on top of the truck;
    if he doesn't brake hard enough, he would hit the cab in a not so hard kind of way... (he's already deccelerating, so maybe a nudge?)...

truck driver has to decide which countermeasure he has to employ in order to minimize if not avoid any mishap...

what i'm trying to say is this : if you hear or see an emergency vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter, which seems to be obviously rushing to some sort of an emergency, do give way at all times... like the ust student driving the city, there are a lot of variables on the road which may go wrong, so just be safe and give way... besides, it won't add more than 5mins to your travel time anyway...

Mahiya naman sila. Their job is to save life and property...but if they wreck stuff and endanger lives in doing so, bale wala din.
    As i've mentioned earlier, when the situation turns out to be bad or dangerous either way, the firetruck driver had to choose which course of action or counter measure would entail the least in doing so.... considering the safety of the fighters on the truck topmost...

SOP for crashes involving emergency (fire/police/rescue) and high value target (e.g. money trucks) vehicles is that they leave some sort of identification (even just throw it out the window) so that whatever matter has to be settled, can be settled at a later time. [Remember how we had to sue Land Bank when their money truck rammed our Sentra and ran off?]

Unfortunately, the firetrucks just ran off leaving the wrecked taxi on the street.
    imo, no better identification to the trucks than their markings.. all fire trucks are clearly marked on all sides as to their identity or affiliation... most even have big fone numbers posted on the sides... and the SOP for firetrucks involved in accidents while responding to fire calls is simply to radio to their base that they hit a certain vehicle, its general description and location...

and whatever matter to be settled that must be settled at a later time will never be settled if it involves emergency vehicles.. all the driver has to prove is that it was unavoidable considering the circumstances...

as i always tell my friends and family members, if it's a fire truck, do give way... it won't delay you a lot anyway....

O/T : boss otep, peace tayo ha... :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Taxi hit and run by firetruck...