New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should there be "8" plates?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Okay lang

3 7.69%
  • Nope dapat pantay pantay lahat

34 87.18%
  • Doesn't really matter

2 5.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    Just read in the newspaper ( The Philippine Star ), the family of the guard has agreed to an out of court settlement with the Malapitans...they thought that the case would not prosper in court hence they agreed for a settlement.
    as expected. kung wala ka namang pera pang habla at oras maghintay e di settle na lang. kung daanin pa sa proseso baka di pa sila mabayaran.

back to topic, kung gusto ng mga congressman ang anonymity, why don't they just use their regular plates? and what's the purpose of having an '8' plate and proclaim that they don't demand special treatment?

nograles is just passing the buck and still living in a dream world. he's being blind to the reality that the number 8 plate is being used to intimidate not only traffic enforcers but everybody.

tanggalin na yang plaka at privilege na yan! para pagnagka initan sa daan, magagamit nila ang oh so famous and super intimidating line: "di mo ba ako kilala??!"

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ans_lim168 View Post
    the family of the guard has agreed to an out of court settlement with the Malapitans...
    Sino si Malapitan? Siya ba yung congresistang nagpagamit ng "8" na plaka niya kay Bautista?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by russpogi View Post
    To TS: please post the link to the article. Also, take time to read this:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43559

Thanks
    Sorry. The following is the link:

http://www.philstar.com/archives.php...0818176&type=2

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    sorry double post
    Last edited by architect; August 27th, 2008 at 09:40 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    From Philippine Star -

The 8 Plate Debate
    BACKSEAT DRIVER By James Deakin
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I came across this article the other day that explained how some police forces around the world insist on their officers being subjected to an attack by their own non-lethal enforcement weapons. I’m serious. For example, if a cop is issued an electric stun gun, he or she must first zap themselves a couple of times in order to know exactly how it feels and witness first hand how it actually immobilizes another person. If it is mace that they are issued with, they have to have it sprayed into their face at least once before they are allowed to carry it. After peeling myself off the floor in my hotel room, laughing from the mental picture that took a full two weeks to get out of my head, it got me thinking.

Why not try that here with our own authorities? Just think, if our lawmakers and enforcers had to actually experience the direct result of their laws, schemes, comments and actions, perhaps they would build a little more empathy for us and come up with programs that actually work, instead of just working to get more programs.

When the embattled LTO chief came out and said he would like to talk to congress about how to enforce the abuses made by vehicles wearing the controversial and highly privileged 8 plates, he was slammed immediately and told, “Why should you have to ask our permission to do your job? Just treat every car equally, whether it has an 8 plate or a regular plate” Ummm… lets see, maybe because the last security guard that tried doing that ended up getting run over and killed.

It is a lot easier said than done. While the statement may print well, it is incredibly naïve to think it would work on our gritty streets. To prove the point, I would like to see some of our politicians dress up in an MMDA uniform and try to stop a three-ton tinted sport truck that is speeding towards you. Maybe then they could understand why more and more traffic aides just turn a blind eye. The last time I stood my ground against a gaggle of polo-barong-clad Neanderthals in their ozone depleting back up SUVs, I had my fender kicked in by their rent a cop on a bike.

I once saw a very brave MMDA officer jump out in front of one of these arrogant convoys to stop them from using the yellow lane on EDSA; the lead black SUV with privileged plates went straight for him without so much as a token lift off the throttle. The MMDA officer narrowly missed becoming a hood ornament and dived over to the sidewalk. I stopped my car and offered to give chase. The MMDA officer simply shook his head and basically said that it would not be worth it. “They most likely have guns,” he explained to me in Tagalog. “If I don’t get shot, I’ll end up fired anyway.” He finished off in an extremely defeated tone.

A couple of weeks ago I was having lunch with some of the mobile patrol officers of the SCTEX. As we swapped stories over iced tea and pizza, one of the patrol officers shared his experience when he apprehended a relative of a congressman that had the 8 plates on his car. He had pulled him over for traveling at over 200km/h on the newly opened toll road. He followed procedure and showed the driver the photo and print out of his speed and asked for his license. The politician’s relative reminded the patrol cop of who his tito was and how powerful he was, blah, blah, blah. You know the script.

After a lengthy stand off, the patrol cop was able to stand his ground and confiscate the license. Around a week or so later, however, the patrol cop was summoned to the LTO in East Avenue, only to be told that he would have to personally deliver the license back to the reckless driver’s home in Ayala Alabang and give him a formal apology. All on his own personal time and at his own personal expense.

All of a sudden zapping someone with 1,800 volts or spraying them with mace doesn’t seem as funny now, does it?

My own brother was rammed on the skyway a couple of years back by one of these convoys for absolutely no reason. He was simply passing them on his own lane. They didn’t like that. He ended up crashing into the barriers from the impact of the back up vehicle. If that wasn’t bad enough, as he hopped out of his smoking car, he was surrounded by this idiot’s bodyguards who had all drawn their guns and were pointing it directly at his head.

When the Skyway cops turned up, instead of questioning and investigating, they actually assisted the VIP car out and refused to identify him to my brother. To this day, he still doesn’t know who the coward in the black Lincoln Town Car was. And needless to say, he was never compensated for the damage to his car.

Banning these special plates, whether it may be congress, senate, regional trial court plates or those endless and utterly useless commemorative plates that the LTO sell you one day and then fine you the next, may not be the answer. But it’s a start. It sends the right message. Nobody should be above the law. Especially those that make them.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Nograles seeks probe of solons’ alleged misuse of ‘8’ plates
    By Maila Ager
    INQUIRER.net
    First Posted 11:55am (Mla time) 08/27/2008

MANILA, Philippines -- Speaker Prospero Nograles has filed a resolution seeking a congressional inquiry into the reported misuse of special plates, particularly the number 8 plate issued to members of the House of Representatives.
    House Resolution 744, which was filed Tuesday but released to media Wednesday, directed the committee on transportation to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation on the enforcement of Executive Order 400, which regulates the issuance of protocol license plates by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) for motor vehicles of government officials.
    Nograles said the inquiry should also touch on issues pertaining to LTO's operations, including allegations of registration and license fixing, and smoke emission test fixing.
    He underscored the need for the House to find out the truth behind LTO chief Alberto Suansing’s allegations that the protocol license plates issued to House members were being used illegally.
    “The current Assistant Secretary of the LTO singled out the misuse and abuse of protocol license plates without specifying instances thereof, presenting evidence in regard to the involvement of any Member of the House of Representatives in any incident of abuse or misuse of such license plates, thereby subjecting the House of Representatives and its Members to public suspicion, ridicule, and even contempt,” the Speaker said in the resolution.
    The LTO chief denied, however, making any statement that some congressmen were selling number 8 plates and have tried to pressure him to register smuggled cars and sports utility vehicles.
    Nograles did not buy Suansing’s denial.
    “Is he [Suansing] making liars out of the media men who quoted him in their stories? I am more convinced that this blanket denial of LTO chief Suansing is just an excuse because he doesn't have proof to substantiate his claims,” he said.
    “It is also an obvious attempt to smokescreen the inefficiency and incompetence of the LTO in carrying out its mandate,” he added.
    Nevertheless, Nograles called on the public to report cases of abuse on the use of protocol plates as he assured confidentiality on the identity of the complainants.
    “Kung meron kayong alam na ganyan, sulatan niyo ako [Write to me if you know anything]. You can write to the Office of the Speaker, we really have to correct it,” he said.

hmmmm??! sana totoo na mapansin nya mga sumusulat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
SUV with "8" Plates runs over and kills man.