New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kahapon lang nung papuntang office, I made a left entering our basement parking, 3/4 of my car already occupied the entry point, so if you're equating that to a sidewalk, the sidewalk is already perpendicular to my front doors, this idiot ran towards the front of the car, he could've easily walked BEHIND the car and by the time he took his 2nd step, my car will clear the walkway already.

Why are there so many idiots who try to out-run the car laterally? 9/10 times, it's easier to just walk towards the rear of the car since you KNOW the car is moving forward anyway...

Dami talagang tanga.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ehehehe to borrow afrasay's post...

"may electromagnetic hoohah" that's messing up jaywalker's brains.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    tinanong ng tito ko kay angelito vergel de dios tungkol sa nangyar sa akin kahapon... mas malakas daw ako kung magfafile ako ng case.... first and foremost, according to the mmda, the streets and roads are not the right-of-way of the pedestrians.. second, sa don antonio road malaki ang sidewalk kasya 3 persons... kaya nga may wet flag campaign ang mmda para madisiplina mga pedestrians na wag gamitin ang mga kalsada sa paglalakad maliban sa pagtawid.... yung tito ko na PD ng mindoro also said na hindi ako matatalo kasi nasa right-of-way ako... tsaka ang busina ko is beep-beeeep!! one short and one 5 sec long syempre ako na young driver pa lang natatakot na mabangga i did honk my horn and step on the brakes really hard....
    tanong mo kay vergel de dios kung sakaling ma-incapacitated iyong pedestrian, tanungin mo kung sino talo. :-D

right of way or not, the thing here is pag nadale mo sila napakalaki ng chance na talo ka. and besides ano ang mas may value buhay or right of way?

may violation iyong pedestrian na tanga kung sakaling nagkamali sila, pero pare maski sa Amerika (particularly CA and FL) pili lang ang pedestrian na hinuhuli pag nag violate sila though I must say most of them are disciplined. Dito ganun din baka nga walang hinuhuli eh. Tignan mo sino ang lagi hinuhuli pag sa mga ganyang mga kaso?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Sa Taft Ave dami din ganyan, yung area na pag kanan mo from Edsa southbound. One time meron parang naglalakad sa Luneta sa gitna ng kalsada nung binusinahan ko aba, nag dirty finger pa. Buhay nga naman...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    hindi ko naman siya nasagasaan, nasagi ko at low-speed driving... alam mo ba ang difference ng nasagi at nasagasaan? kung nasagasaan ko siya eh dapat tumuba siya eh pagkasagi ko naglalakad pa rin siya ng normal parang walang nangyari

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    If anybody hits a pedestrian without the latter sustaining any injury and you file a complaint.- You might win the case.

But if these walker suffer injuries or worst ended six feet below the ground.- Then you're in liability and will never win whatever case you have.

It's always better to be a defensive driver and not an offensive one and it takes only seconds to hit your brake pedal than hit a pedestrian and attend a court hearing.

Sometimes we have to consider that these people are also in some sort of problem kaya minsan may tumatawid na parang wala sa sarili dahil sa problemang iniisip.

So, ingat2x lang.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    A comment from a foreigner:

Chaos on Philippine Roads

Driving in the Philippines is something else. The average Filipino would believe they are the best drivers in the world. The opinion of just about anyone from the West is that they are among the worst. In many ways the conduct of the Filipino on the road reflects their entire culture. They have a total disregard for all rules and all other drivers. The idea of cooperation is totally alien to driving in the Philippines. Much of the traffic problems they complain about are caused by their own selfish attitude to driving.

Anyone that has been to the Philippines will have observed the apparent chaos on the roads. Things that Filipinos do to each other here would result in extreme road rage back home. Here is just accepted that others will cut you off and not give even the slightest allowance to others. The driving style here is very aggressive but the actual driver is not really in an aggressive state. It’s a give no one else a break attitude because they will not give you a break. Occupying every bit of space on the roads is the norm and often results in four traffic lanes being created where the road is only designed for two. This exacerbates the traffic problem but the Filipino is only thinking of himself.

Very few people use indicators. Most of the will abruptly turn in front of you cutting you off. Likewise many do not seem to use the review mirror. The onus is on the driver behind to use their horn to alert the driver in front that they want to pass or that should not attempt their lane change/turn or you may hit them. At that point they will usually look and assess the situation. If they still think they can proceed they will. Most of the time it is a game of bluff. Two vehicles edge closer and closer to a single objective. With only inches between them one vehicle will be triumphant and gain right of way.

Might is right is also another aspect of driving on the road here. The bigger your vehicle the more right-of-way you will receive. This law of the Jungle goes all the way down to pedestrians who are at the bottom of the pecking order. [SIZE="4"]A pedestrian must give way to any vehicle at all times, not from a legal perspective as I don’t even know what the laws are concerning pedestrians, but from a matter of self preservation. There are lots of pedestrian crossing in the Philippines but the only time I have seen a vehicle give way to one is when a Traffic Officer is guiding people over it (and that is very seldom).
    [/SIZE]

As I said at the beginning the Filipino driver really thinks he is a better driver so nothing is going to change in a hurry. The problem is also inherent in Filipino culture and their attitude to the fellow citizen. The police can try to enforce more sensible and responsible driving but as soon as they are out of site, the Filipino will revert to his selfish attitudes on the road. I also said that the situation on the road is a reflection of how the Filipino conducts themselves in most other aspects of Filipino life. In a nutshell the Filipino selfish attitude to their fellow citizens needs to change before we will see any real improvement on the road.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Kahapon lang nung papuntang office, I made a left entering our basement parking, 3/4 of my car already occupied the entry point, so if you're equating that to a sidewalk, the sidewalk is already perpendicular to my front doors, this idiot ran towards the front of the car, he could've easily walked BEHIND the car and by the time he took his 2nd step, my car will clear the walkway already.

Why are there so many idiots who try to out-run the car laterally? 9/10 times, it's easier to just walk towards the rear of the car since you KNOW the car is moving forward anyway...

Dami talagang tanga.
    They wouldn't want to be exposed to the moving traffic. Here in the US we do give way to the pedestrians. Even if they walk slow. Even if they abuse it. You hit them, they sue you. But it's not out of fear that I've grown to follow this rule, respect na rin sa mga tumatawid. And here, you will know they appreciate you because they will smile when you let them pass. Even more pag matanda na. When you're in the right turning lane and a pedestrian is crossing the lane your front wheels are occupying, you should yield by reversing until the pedestrian lane is clear so they can pass safely. Then you can continue on driving. Social courtesy na rin ito.

Pero I think the thread is about stupid pedestrians. In this case, do your best to avoid them like stop and yield if you can. A pedestrian is more vulnerable, and given the level of education sa atin, alam mo nang some pedestrians don't know any better (like the drugged one on the very first post).

Given the first posted thread, I would yield. Bakit? What if you don't, and the driver behind you only sees that you just went straight, he/she will continue on driving without stopping and might hit the pedestrian. Like what j_avonni posted, "The idea of cooperation is totally alien to driving in the Philippines."

Drive (and walk) safe, everyone!

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    mga bossing ingat din sa pag busina ng malakas at matagal .
    .minsan naka busina ako ng mejo may idad..nagulat .mali mali tapos nahirapan huminga..natakot ako .baka may sakit sa puso , atakehin at mamatay....

buti na lang nahimasmasan at napainom ng tubig ...

sa tutuo lang kinabahan din ako ..don sa matanda at sa mga tambay sa daan

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    "The idea of cooperation is totally alien to driving in the Philippines."

It's a matter of stringent rules in force at a time for a certain areas rather than the above, i think.- Kasi ang pinoy kapag nasa ibang bansa ay obedient naman.

One example sa sarili nating lugar ay ang SUBIC. Kapag nagawi ka dito, makikita mo na ang pinoy ay disiplinado rin naman pala, kasi nakasanayan na mula pa ng maging base ito ng US. Makikita mo dito mga sasakyan humihinto sa markings kahit walang stop light or taong tumatawid, which is a good example para sa lahat to keep our roads safe kahit nasaan ka mang lugar.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
stupid pedestrians....