New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron
    From my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong), he was accosted for being parked in a no-parking zone; he resisted, but did not initially brandish his firearm. He claimed he was on a mission. This scenario requires calling in the police to verify that there IS indeed a mission and that the recalcitrant individual IS a policeman.

However, knowing how security guards are, they decided to play the hero and ganged up on him in which -- I am told -- there even was an altercation when the guards went after him, which caused him to bring out his long firearm and call up his SWAT friends.

If he was already brandishing his weapon, then yes... the guards are in their rights to point their guns at him and even shoot him. But from what I know he was accosted presumably while he was not yet wielding his firearm.
    Nevertheless bro.,- being a police officer, he should not have brought out his firearm, as he is just being accosted for illegal parking.....
    brought out his firearm plus called in SWAT support. wtf is that, right? a responsible police office would have sought to diffuse the situation instead of escalating it further.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    nakakuha ng katapat na maangas si insp. kaya di sya pumayag naglabas ng mahaba

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Nevertheless bro.,- being a police officer, he should not have brought out his firearm, as he is just being accosted for illegal parking.....

11.7K:samurai:

I totally agree that the cop was stupid for brandishing out his firearm like that.

But my original point was that if the security guards had any doubt about the cop's identity (before the escalation that resulted in the long firearm display), they should have called for police presence, not attempt to handle the situation themselves.

I imagine it to be something like this:

Guard approaches vehicle on a no-parking zone. A person sits inside.

Guard: Pre, no parking dito... di ka pwede dito

Cop (not yet known to the Guard): Pulis ako. May misyon ako dito.

Guard (not believing/not impressed with cop's claim): E hindi nga pwede dito eh, bawal. Kelangan mong lumipat sa ibang lugar

Cop (begins to be irritated): Di ba sabi ko sa iyo pulis ako? Wag ka makialam dito. Police business ito.

Guard calls for backup and other guards arrive. Argument heats up, words exchanged, and irate bad-egg cop brings out long firearm. And everyone loses.

The lesson here is that guards should be trained better, in both guard duties (including knowing how to keep a situation form escalating into something bad), and in relating to the public. I've been a witness to so many instances where a guard is even more arrogant than a cop in dealing with civilians.

But to reiterate.. that was a very stupid thing the cop did... which also requires for better training and monitoring amongst their ranks as well.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    ang galing...illegal parking na sya pa ang ganang magpahuli sa nanita sa kanya...what an arrogance!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    most Ortigas guards are arrogant po coz I live here. actually ang built nila eh yun mga 6 footer na malalaki ang katawan. I think that's the reason why they are hired to roam around our area in the first place.

i think there are 2 types of guards: yun naka-motor and yun naka isuzu crosswind/suzuki apv na roving black guards.

we've had so many brush ups with these guards, from delivery trucks na inorderan namin as well as nun nagpapaconstruct kami, sobrang strict sila talaga.

but i do like their presence here in Ortigas. makes Ortigas safe from the elements, kasi talaga bawal pumarada sa kalsada and i-spy-an kami mga naninirahan dito

one thing i can't understand however, is the Ortigas guards somehow favor yun mga cars na may UNO stickers and other networking pyramiding people with modified cars here. kasi nakakapark sila sa Emerald.

another thing i noticed is meron mga cigarette vendors after 12am dito sa'min na okey ang itsura, makes one think kung sigarilyo lang ba ang binenbenta nila sa mga call center agents.

kaya siguro andyan ang Pasig Police to investigate.

well, it's a good thing these happened para ma-stop na kung ano man yun ang puno't dulo issue at hand and Ortigas become safe again

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    kung may undercover mission ka, na ayaw mo mapansin ka ng iniimbistigahan mo na mga tao, bakit ka magpapark sa mapapansin ka like NO PARKING ZONE, etc.

well I guess this is one of the EPIC FAIL moments for a "INIT NG ULO INUUNA" policeman, but not all police here are like that kind of police. meron parin nman maayos at malinis magtrabaho. nadudumihan lang naman sila sa isang maduming tao, "kasalanan ng isa, damay ang lahat."

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    When our protectors become our predators
    AS I WRECK THIS CHAIR By William M. Esposo

(The Philippine Star)
    Updated January 06, 2011 12:00 AM

Philippine National Police (PNP) Senior Inspector Oscar Magsibang of Pasig City had placed in a very bad light the organization he represents that’s tasked to protect the people and the community.

Last December 31, 2010, ABS-CBN’s Henry Omaga Diaz reported on TV Patrol how Senior Inspector Magsibang had menacingly wielded his Baby Armalite as he went berserk in Pasig City over being accosted by an Ortigas Complex security guard for a [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]parking [COLOR=blue ! important]violation[/color][/color][/color]. If it’s not bad enough that Magsibang had terrorized the community after he identified himself as a PNP officer and wielded an assault weapon - he even called for backup!

A Chair Wrecker relative happened to be nearby at the time Senior Inspector Oscar Magsibang went “ballistic” after being accosted by the Ortigas Complex security guard. My relative asked not to be named as the source of information and the reason for this request should be dead obvious to everyone. Few Filipinos really trust our cops, never mind if they say there are a few good ones.  

Magsibang was described as having been abusive, arrogant and threatening. With an assault weapon in tow, he challenged the Ortigas Complex security guard to draw his weapon in a tone that the other party can only interpret as an invitation for a fatal counterstrike. “Sige, bunutin mo, bunutin mo! (Go ahead, draw your weapon, draw it!)” Magsibang dared.
    Of course, we’re all too familiar by now with hearing the usual story about cops declaring ‘self-defense’ while evidence and witness testimony point to a rub-out.

Not content with projecting rage and invincibility with his Baby Armalite, Magsibang showed more cowardice in the overkill of calling for a backup [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]SWAT [COLOR=blue ! important]team[/color][/color][/color]. It was at this point that my informer thought that it was best to leave the vicinity.   

President Noynoy Aquino (P-Noy) had banned the use of the ‘wang-wang (siren)’ and has stood firm in applying this ban even to himself and his office. This should serve as a warning to those who live by abuse and arrogance that P-Noy means business with DAANG MATUWID (Straight Path).  

Magsibang’s behavior demonstrated what most Filipinos already believe - that most policemen are bullies, liars, immoral, wicked, and devious - in short, criminal. No wonder [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]criminal[/color][/color] elements can so easily get away pretending to be cops.  

Compared to the feeling of security we used to have with cops during the 1950s and 1960s, cops now instill feelings of fear and dread in many citizens. From law enforcer, they’ve become not only the law breaker but are now also predators of the law.    
    Legislators are trying to outdo each other in increasing fines for offenses without looking at the big picture. What they don’t realize is that the problem with [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]law [COLOR=blue ! important]enforcement[/color][/color][/color] can be traced to the law enforcers themselves. By increasing fines and by creating unrealistic procedures, they’re forcing violators to strike up an informal [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]settlement[/color][/color] of a lesser ‘fine’ - bribe - with the policeman.     
    As predators of the law, the crooked policemen make fools of us all. They mock every Congressman and Senator who delivers fiery speeches on raising fines to deter criminality because these dirty cops know that higher fines mean heftier bribes to them.
    The most arrogant of these cops will make us feel like serfs bowing before a local feudal lord. Our taxes pay for their salaries yet they don’t consider themselves public servants.
    Former Metro Manila Chair Bayani Fernando had made it profitable for traffic aides and cops to apprehend erring motorists by giving them a commission from the fines. The objective may be good - which is to reduce violations - but it only emboldened the dirty cop and traffic aide to harass motorists to just pay the more convenient bribe. Instead of creating traffic sanity, traffic enforcers focused on making a quick buck from erring motorists even if the act of [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]apprehending[/color][/color] causes a major traffic obstacle. For all his good intentions, Bayani Fernando was among the last to know that the traffic officials around him continued taking favors from fake bus and jeepney operators.
    [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Traffic [COLOR=blue ! important]law[/color][/color][/color] enforcement is, of course, the least of our worries. The more terrifying reality is finding cops involved with criminal syndicates dealing with drugs, kidnapping, prostitution and everything else of the underworld.  
    In high profile cases, the policeman can rise to the occasion and demonstrate great [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]police [COLOR=blue ! important]work[/color][/color][/color] and behavior. But if every day instances and personal experiences of each of us with law enforcers do not validate this supposed picture of the model cop, no amount of press statements or public appearances will convince the Filipino that the policeman is our protector.
    Magsibang’s outburst is largely perceived as typical cop behavior. It smacks of cowardice and repugnant arrogance. There is also a dangerous brotherhood that seems to bond our cops together, which is hard to break. That’s why the SWAT team responded quickly when Magsibang called for them.
    We need to review not only our laws but also their enforcement. We need to step back and refocus on whom the law is meant to serve.     
    It’s a big challenge to seed and nurture a counter-culture in our despicably rotten [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]police [COLOR=blue ! important]force[/color][/color][/color]. Winning back public trust takes a long time, maybe even longer than it took to lose it.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    sa pagkaalam ko policemen have authority over security guards, not the other way around.

if a security guard or a group of security guards is challenging a policeman, then that also has some serious implications, like are they above the law?

policemen are law enforcers. security guards are private security.

if indeed the policeman is on a mission, then the security guards botched crime prevention.

always remember, the security guard has no mandate to protect us citizens but to protect the private enterprise that he is representing, while a policeman has the sworn duty to protect us.

so be easy on our policemen.

one thing i find odd in the story is why were there so many guards to confront the lone policeman? if it happens that the policeman is not what he says he is, but is an armed criminal/terrorist pretending to be a policeman. still they dont have any right to shoot it out coz madaming civilians dun.
    diba dapat they should call for policemen backup to verify? may mobile patrol din naman Pasig Police sa Ortigas ah.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    DUWAG na Pulis. Hamunin mo ng suntukan yan hindi papalag. Overweight Doucebag.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaboot View Post
    sa pagkaalam ko policemen have authority over security guards, not the other way around.

if a security guard or a group of security guards is challenging a policeman, then that also has some serious implications, like are they above the law?
    this argument doesn't hold water. di naman obvious na police yung guy when they initially challenged him for the parking infraction. yeah, their one mistake is they should've verified the guys identity right away. makulit lang yun officer and the situation quickly escalated.

policemen are law enforcers. security guards are private security.

~

always remember, the security guard has no mandate to protect us citizens but to protect the private enterprise that he is representing, while a policeman has the sworn duty to protect us.
    this private security is there for the general peace and order of ortigas, not just for the protection of physical assets in ortigas center.

if indeed the policeman is on a mission, then the security guards botched crime prevention.

~
    so be easy on our policemen.
    championing the cause of this policeman? your statements are true for responsible police officers.

"be easy on our policemen". hah. not when it's guys like this asshole. from the way he acted, his "on a mission" excuse is just that - an excuse. nung di sya pinagbigyan lumabas na wala pala sya mission when he went ballistic, called for backup and drew attention to himself. kung meron talaga mission yan, the completion of that mission is the first thing on his mind instead of the guards.

one thing i find odd in the story is why were there so many guards to confront the lone policeman?
    this is not odd at all, ortigas guards usually patrol in groups. they have patrols on bikes, motorcycles, and suvs.

if it happens that the policeman is not what he says he is, but is an armed criminal/terrorist pretending to be a policeman. still they dont have any right to shoot it out coz madaming civilians dun.
    diba dapat they should call for policemen backup to verify? may mobile patrol din naman Pasig Police sa Ortigas ah.
    teka... sino ba unang bumunot ng baril? di ba yung policeman? it shows he is the irresponsible idiot he is. from your statement eh nasa guards pa din yung fault.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong but aren't these guards connected to Barangay San Antonio security (since Ortigas Center is in San Antonio)? I remember them having a fleet of Honda Super 4's about 5 years back. talo pa nila Pasig police na nagpa-patrol dati.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Pasig Police Officer vs Ortigas Security