New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I have no idea why there's still no decent law against drunk driving here in the Phils.

I suggest:

1.) PhP 50,000 fine deductable from the salary/SSS/GSIS/Bank account or any source of income of the offender. It's not that high but people would be wary of throwing away 50K in cash. Convertible to 1 year in prison.

2.) In the event of an accident, the fault will automatically be on whoever is drunk (defined as anyone who has ingested any amount of alcohol). Screw the percentage. Since the threshold for each and everyone is different, measuring percentage is moot. 10 year imprisonment and payment of fine (PhP 1 Million).

3.) Cancellation of driver's license.

I don't drink so these penalties are cool with me as I am totally sure I won't violate any of them. Tingnan natin kung may mag drunk driving pa. hehehe.

To prevent enforcers from accepting bribes, every person they catch will merit them to a promo that will be given at the end of the year. 300,000 in prizes or something to that effect. Or pwede rin na may points, which will help them get promoted, and get higher percentage of the fine revenues. Tax free. Anything to prevent them from accepting bribes.

We can also give the same penalty to the erring enforcer and a cash reward (or tax relief) to the whistle-blower.

Now, about those pesky smokers slowly killing the public...

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post

2.) In the event of an accident, the fault will automatically be on whoever is drunk (defined as anyone who has ingested any amount of alcohol). Screw the percentage. Since the threshold for each and everyone is different, measuring percentage is moot.
    I have to disagree with this. Did you know that some very common oral preparations contain alcohol? Take mouthwashes for example: Mouthwashes, an example is Listerine (the older kind which doesn't have "no alcohol content" printed on its label) contains 26.9% alcohol? That's more than twice the alcohol content or wine (12%). We can argue that we don't drink listerine-- true, but did you notice that, after spitting away the mouthwash, you can still taste it when swallowing your saliva? Some of its components remain in your mouth and are subsequently ingested when you swallow. What more if you've just used a mouthwash and a police officer suddenly pulled you over while driving and had you take a breathalyzer test?

Most foods where they add chinese wine, gin, or any alcoholic beverages actually retain 4-85% of their original alcohol content. The amount of alcohol that burns off depends on the cooking method used and how long the alcohol is cooked. In one study, a flamed dish retained 75% of the alcohol, while a recipe simmered for 2 ½ hours retained 5% of the alcohol. The recipes ranged from chilled foods such as brandy Alexander pie to foods with a long simmering time such as pot roast.

So defining drunkenness as
    as anyone who has ingested any amount of alcohol would be impractical. That's why some countries have a lower maximum blood alcohol level, to differentiate those who accidentally ingested alcohol in their food and those who actually drank an alcoholic beverage.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    narinig ko na din ang discussion dyan dati sa isang radio program.. ang sabi nung isang congressman.. pinagtatalunan daw kasi kung ilang percent na alcohol ang allowable or considered as drunk na.. tapos pinagtatalunan din na wala daw tools ang mga police to check this kaya useless din.. so ang ginagawa for the meantime eh kada CITY or Municipality eh nag pa pass na lang nang city ordinace regarding this.. under reckless driving..
    Ayaw lang yata aminin ni Congressman na maraming lasenggo't manginginom sa kanila at sa mga kamag-anak nila. Kaya pinagtatalunan ang percentage ng alcohol...

"Ekskyos mi gintilman prom Manila, but I ken drink wan keys op bir en nat pil drank. My son ken drink wan batel op iskatch en not pil drank. En my wayp ken drink wan batel op gin en nat pil drank... hic..."

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004

at sino nag sabi sa inyo na merong drunk drivers dito sa pilipinas?

mga kababayan ko (na mga gwapa at gwapo), sino ang bumabangga sa poste, pader, kapwa sasakyan, pedestrians atbp ? ang lasing ba? di ba ang mga sasakyan? so, ang sasakyan ang lasing dahil di niya kayang iwasan ang mga iyon.
    kagaya iyan sa mga nakikita ko sa tv balita, yung mga bumabangga sa mga concrete barriers, lasing yung mga sasakyan o kaya kasalanan ng mga concrete barriers o pader o poste dahil hindi sila umilag ng parating yung sasakyan.
    Hope you all get what I mean, that here in the Philippines, pag pwede maka lusot, magpapalusot. Kaya ang bansa natin ay lalong nagugusot.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    Wahahah!

Dagdag ko lang din ang walang katapusang "sira ang preno" at "nawalan ng control ang sasakyan".

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Most accidents I have responded to are often caused by drunk or intoxicated drivers. These accidents vary from very minor cases like abrassion to more serious ones like severe trauma to the head.

For now there is no law against drunk driving. In fact Former Sen Manny Villar proposed Senate Bill 83 or the Alcohol and Drug Testing Act entitled, "An Act defining as a crime the act of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of liquor and/or prohibited drugs and providing graduated penalties therefor."
    Stating that "A law must be in place to provide stricter penalties for accidents caused by drunk drivers"

I am all with this...

But my question is the same as yours... when will this be implemented?
    I once responded to this accident in new manila (near Nestle ) involving a delivery and a nissan sentra sedan. Driver of the sedan had on passenger (girlfriend) beat a read light thinking that there'd bo no cross traffic on a sunday morning (5am) then out of nowhere, a delivery truck (which side has a green light) and t-boned the sentra. Rendering the girl unconscious. Upon arriving to the scene is saw him with a heated argument with the driver of the delivery truck. When I approached them I heard a cry coming from the inside the car. I saw his girlfriend drenched in her own blood. Immediately called assistance from the nearby HPG group stationed in ST Pauls QC (good thing they were there) the guy had very heavy smell of alcohol even if I was 3 meters away from him and even arguing that he is not drunk...

I mean, how many more would have to suffer?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Most accidents I have responded to are often caused by drunk or intoxicated drivers. These accidents vary from very minor cases like abrassion to more serious ones like severe trauma to the head.

For now there is no law against drunk driving. In fact Former Sen Manny Villar proposed Senate Bill 83 or the Alcohol and Drug Testing Act entitled, "An Act defining as a crime the act of driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of liquor and/or prohibited drugs and providing graduated penalties therefor."

Stating that "A law must be in place to provide stricter penalties for accidents caused by drunk drivers"

I am all with this...

I once responded to this accident in new manila (near Nestle ) involving a delivery and a nissan sentra sedan. Driver of the sedan had on passenger (girlfriend) beat a read light thinking that there'd bo no cross traffic on a sunday morning (5am) then out of nowhere, a delivery truck (which side has a green light) and t-boned the sentra. Rendering the girl unconscious. Upon arriving to the scene is saw him with a heated argument with the driver of the delivery truck. When I approached them I heard a cry coming from the inside the car. I saw his girlfriend drenched in her own blood. Immediately called assistance from the nearby HPG group stationed in ST Pauls QC (good thing they were there) the guy had very heavy smell of alcohol even if I was 3 meters away from him and even arguing that he is not drunk...

I mean, how many more would have to suffer?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMEDIC11 View Post

I am all with this...

I agree. We have to start somewhere. Maraming dahilan kung bakit kesyo hindi mag-wo-work dito satin, etcetera-etcetera. Meron din dahilan kung bakit kailangan na natin ang batas na 'to, wag nang hintayin na madagdag pang dahilan ay ang pagkamatay ng mahal sa buhay dahil sa drunk driving.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm for this - we should have something in place.

kahit wag na yung breathalizer, imo. gawan nalang ng field sobriety test. madami dyan nagda-drive na hindi papasa dito. mas lower ang potential for abuse nito compared to "swerving" and "traffic light" violations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
No Law Yet Penalizing Drunk Driving?