New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As long as there's truth in advertising, nothing the government can do about it.

Remember the Super Tubo... errh... Turbo Charger?

"up to 10% fuel savings..."

In other words... 0% fuel savings count... as in 0% up to 10%.

They don't guarantee 10%.

Which is a convenient excuse not to go after them. The US government has the same problem with fuel savers over there. Some are even more blatant about it... 0-10 additional hp... bull-fragging-sh*t.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I was at a carshop with a dyno (having something fixed in my car) when the DOE & DOST people came in to have a new fuel saving gadget tested. (hey niky, you missed the circus! hehehe)

While they were doing and observing the testing, I just kept my mouth shut (I felt I could get lynched by the gadget inventor and his supporters). In the end, my conclusion of the test results as "inconclusive of any gains of power". Unfortunately the people from the DOE/DOST and inventor saw what they wanted to see.

Then after lunch, they left for the "fuel economy" test. It was a two lap test along the NLEX. One lap without the gadget and the second, with the gadget active. I just rolled my eyes as I heard their method of testing for fuel economy.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 2nd, 2007 at 05:04 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    ika nga - brain drain nga talaga ba sa scientific community natin?
    Sometimes it is just a matter of the lack of proper scientific methods of testing.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    maganda din pala kung may local mythbusters? o send nyo sa actual mythbusters.
    Unfortunately such a local venture has to be financed by someone. In the end, it will still be biased since our commercial and entertainment industry is so linked and tied up with each other.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hahaha... what did the boys have to say?... I can just imagine Sid's face now...

[off-topic]: I'm short on money, but I'm gong to go have my shocks shimmed or slapped with some spacers this weekend... my new tires are rubbing a bit (when I corner over 1g... ) because my off-set is all wrong. But before that, I'm a-gonna go back to solid rubber engine mounts... I'm still waiting to... errh... gauge against your new pet, but a run at 8.9 to 100 km/h has finally convinced me to change my execrable engine mounts for some stiffer stuff... too.much.wheel-hop!!! [/off-topic]

What the DOE really needs is an EFI engine with a full set of emissions equipment and vacuum fittings on a platform in a temperature controlled room running at steady rpms... but then, we knew that already, right?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I was at a carshop with a dyno (having something fixed in my car) when the DOE & DOST people came in to have a new fuel saving gadget tested. (hey niky, you missed the circus! hehehe)

While they were doing and observing the testing, I just kept my mouth shut (I felt I could get lynched by the gadget inventor and his supporters). In the end, my conclusion of the test results as "inconclusive of any gains of power". Unfortunately the people from the DOE/DOST and inventor saw what they wanted to see.

Then after lunch, they left for the "fuel economy" test. It was a two lap test along the NLEX. One lap without the gadget and the second, with the gadget active. I just rolled my eyes as I heard their method of testing for fuel economy.
    Ah where was your video cam when you needed it? could've embedded it here too. Now if only "filthy voyeur" had lent you his for that momentous vid opp. But I heard he was busy at the mall escalator.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ah where was your video cam when you needed it? could've embedded it here too. Now if only "filthy voyeur" had lent you his for that momentous vid opp. But I heard he was busy at the mall escalator.

I was able to slip a couple of camera-phone pics of the device installed but not much beyond that. I had a N80 so I could had recorded an hour's worth. But I would have been too conspicuous if I was "filming" the entire event for tsikot.com prosperity.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Hahaha... what did the boys have to say?... I can just imagine Sid's face now...
    Sids arrived after the circus left town (literally).

[off-topic]: I'm short on money, but I'm gong to go have my shocks shimmed or slapped with some spacers this weekend... my new tires are rubbing a bit (when I corner over 1g... ) because my off-set is all wrong. But before that, I'm a-gonna go back to solid rubber engine mounts... I'm still waiting to... errh... gauge against your new pet, but a run at 8.9 to 100 km/h has finally convinced me to change my execrable engine mounts for some stiffer stuff... too.much.wheel-hop!!! [/off-topic]
    I think your car would be a bit faster than mine since I opted for some "street" tires when I got new wheels. I am thinking of at least swapping the front pair to something stickier though. Currently, my car's in the shop. They trying to sort out my speedo problem.

BTW, 8.9secs to 100kph. My old B13 Sentra 1.6 all-motor does 8.8 secs to 100kph. :D I have no idea with my B14 though. Anyway, once the car's fixed, I could get some numbers via my trusty G-Tech Pro meter.

What the DOE really needs is an EFI engine with a full set of emissions equipment and vacuum fittings on a platform in a temperature controlled room running at steady rpms... but then, we knew that already, right?
    A good condition surplus engine with complete fittings with an engine dyno attached would have been a good start.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:13 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    [OT continued]: yes, the suckage of this car's weight and transmission continue to astound me. When I first got it, I kinda felt that my automatic SR20 was faster... ...oh well, it's still a better cornering car. Damn those built GAs! But the B13 is a much lighter car, and I reckon your all-motor set-up was putting as much to the ground as mine did, stock. I'm still practicing, though. The Focus event reminded me how much I suck at launching. With fresh motor mounts (mine are very soft replacements), I should get 8 flat.[/OT Off]

Hehe... if Sid was there for the test, there might have been a brawl... I can imagine him laughing and laughing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
If gas savers don't work what are authorities doing about them?