New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    The cop had to pull out his gun. It was a judgement call. Just think of these.

1) Traffic
    2) 2 people armed and ready to beat the hell out of each other. Possibly one falling down dead due to brain hemorrhage.
    3) The Cop is in a hurry. Cops have lives too you know.
    4) The Cop needed to resolve it fast. Time is of the essence.

Sure he should have just showed his badge but you are forgetting something. THis is the Philippines with 90% abusive people called Filipinos. He had to pull out his gun. Let's be realistic for a moment here. Respect for Authority??? That's a nice joke you got there.

In most cases, the mediators are the ones that get hurt in fights like these, so it's really important to declare your authority in an instant such as pulling out your gun if the parties don't seem to respond in a favorable way.
    Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He was there and knew and seen what's happening. He was in civilian clothes and probably the quarrelling parties did not believe he is a policeman so he had to show convincing proof. Baka hindi rin paniwalaan ang badge.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlight View Post
    I still think that the cop over reacted. He does not need to show his gun to pacify whatever it is he was trying to help out with or even just to assert his authority. He can show his badge instead or tell the people involved in the altercation that he is a cop.

Wow. ang dami na nagreact sa update ko. Well, tama nga na hindi natin alam ang lahat nanangyari during that time so all of our comments here are conjectures and assumptions. Pero this is what's good about Tsikot, we can express what we feel and have healthy discussions.

Sorry to be generalizing and I know that there are a lot of good cops out there but I still can't help being cynical about gun-toting cops. peace all
    Last edited by greenlight; August 20th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last night, na-feature sa Imbestigador ang 1 pulis Makati na ang sideline ay tricycle driving. He is not a member of the association, so the other drivers made a complaint. I was not able to watch the whole segment though. But I understand, he would be subjected to administrative charges for bringing his gun while off duty.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Last night, na-feature sa Imbestigador ang 1 pulis Makati na ang sideline ay tricycle driving...
    Hey, I saw that segment too. Abuse of authority din ang isang ikakaso sa kanya, at ipinatigil sya ng Napolcom sa pag-sideline nya. Kapal kasi ng cop na yon, hindi na nga sya member ng TODA, kung dumating pa sya, uunahan nya yung mga nasa pila na mga driver. Ipina-aresto pa nya yung isang leader ng TODA on trumped up charges nung una itong nag-reklamo laban sa kanya.

This is the kind of cop we need less of :down:

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    i think in this case minsan kelangan ginugulat ng konti para tumigil. i guess kung di siya bumunot di siya papansinin nung dalawang motorista. Ive seen cops in the US pull out and "POINT" their guns at people for far less than that. This is just to put things in to perspective.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    lets make another scenario. suppose the cop did not pull out his gun, he stopped the fighting men by showing them his badge, and in the process he himself got hit and one of the motorists in critical condition in the hospital, just because the other motorist did not heed his call since he was not afraid of the police since he has a weapon and the police has a badge, gun in holster, shouting "police ako, wag kayo mag away!"

would we say that the police is st*pid because he did not draw his gun, and because of this they were both injured?

i say he was there we were not he knew what was going on, we are all just speculating!

If we were the aggrieved party and the police will just shout and showing his badge and we get hurt, we would blame the police on why he did not draw his gun to stop the attacker! right?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    meron kacing kasabihan ang mga pulis eh!. sabi daw nila: kapag di mo daw
    nilabas ung baril mo sa gulo, para ka daw pulis na walang underwear.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laklak View Post
    ... Ive seen cops in the US pull out and "POINT" their guns at people for far less than that. This is just to put things in to perspective.
    It may have appear far less than that when the police pull their weapon but for all you know the person may be known felon with a long criminal history. In the US we can't pull our weapon unless there is a threat to ourselves, the public, i.e. the 2 people fighting w/ chains and pipe, the person has a criminal history for being armed and dangerous, or the person has commited an armed felony. But the first rule of thumb is if you see a weapon then you draw your weapon if the 3 things are met, 1) opportunity, 2) means, and 3) intent. I don't know what the rules of engagement in the RP is but in the US the gun is the last option unfortunately police in the RP don't always have the other equipment we use such as steel baton, pepper spray, and tazer before going to the gun and even then we have to explain why our guns was pulled from the holster.

As for the people who think the cop over reacted, nobody knows exactly the situation why the cop drew his gun, as has been said everyone is just speculating so just give him the benefit of the doubt. Until you've been a cop you can't know for sure the dangers of the job. Don't judge good cops based on what bad cops do.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    well siguro the end justifies the means. nobody got hurt. that's a quick thinking cop. and too bad for the slanderous media writer.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Hot-headed gun owner photo on Philippine Star