New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Question, sir Redorange, since you have extensive training on this, if for example, you hold the suspect's face and fire the pepper spray directly under his nose (directly targeting his sinus), will that have any long-term bad effect? That kind of got me curious.

I know stun guns can cause myocardial infarction though like what happened to a fellow at a Canadian Airport.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    No long term effect other than lots of snot coming out in the short term. But no LEO should ever do what you mentioned because it's a good way to get fired. As for the Canadian incident, officers have to consider the situation and choose the most appropriate device, that particular time they were in doors with HVAC and if they sprayed you would need to evacuate the building because other people would react to the spray as it passes through the HVAC. The non-deadly choice was the tazer but in this incident it fell on the small percentage that caused it to become deadly. Even with the spray if you have the suspect lay face down they can die from being unable to breathe which is why we prefer they sit up with legs crossed.

3. Join Date
    May 2009
    Hello again, redorange!

What if the badguy were holding your arm when you tazed him? Will you also be electrocuted?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yes, which is why LEO's do not use the prong tazers but the kind that shoot out like a gun. Although some plain clothes use the prong tazers as it is less bulky. I did part of my training with the prong tazers and in one instance we formed a circle of 10 officers holding hands and one person stuck their hand in the prong, the voltage was strong enough for everyone to be electrocuted. It wasn't fun either with the circle or as solo to be tazed, the spray on the other hand was more enjoyable for me(if one can actually enjoy being sprayed). We did have one officer who elected to smoke a cigarette immediately after the scenario rather than washing off the spray because it didn't affect him at all. You can really block it off mentally if you can stand the burning in your eyes as we are trained and maintain your vision of the suspect and still be able to shoot your target to stop him.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Hinayupak na Towing Service!!