New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Karma at 100mph!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Well, ganun talaga. Cops are more tolerant on the interstate maybi giving you a +10 mph given the right conditions (light traffic, visibility, etc.), but residential areas are criticial man, I understand thay might have been rude in not giving you time to show your docs, but you could always contest that in court.

I was caught speeding in Illinois on my way to Mississippi from Michigan, 2 kami nahuli. The cop was on an unmarked vehicle and it was 10pm. I did not contest, I said sorry, he said he undertands. I just have to attend a seminar and pay a fine and they won't put my violation on record.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Dagdag ko lang, the funny thing is and I am not kidding, while he was running my license he said, "We have a problem sir, your registration is on an 03 Accord.." I said, this is an 03 Accord and showed him my registration. He said, "Oh I 'm sorry, your car really looks sharp, looks new to me. " I said, "well, thanks to Meg's and Mother's!", hehehe..Detail na ulit!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I guess if you realize where the cops are coming from, you will learn to be patient with them and give them due respect.

As my neighbor cop in Fremont, CA told me, every situation could potentially be their last. A lot of cops have been killed over seemingly minor traffic violation stops that escalated quickly and violently either due to hot tempers, hidden drugs or outstanding warrants.

Thus even for what are minor infractions for us (like speeding, beating the red light, California stop, etc.) the arresting cop is usually on heightened alert and tense as s/he approaches our car. That is why you often see the cop with a hand by the side, ready to draw.

It helps to calm them down considerably when they see the driver comply with the standard guidelines - sitting still in the driver's seat, both hands on the steering wheel where the cop can see them, eyes straight, not moving until instructed otherwise. It further puts them at ease when the driver addresses them politely as "sir" or "ma'am" and speak in a calm voice.

If you follow the above, you stand a good chance of the cop letting you off with just a warning, specially if it is a minor infraction.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    One of the things I hear about being pulled over is that some cops just pull them over and have a chat about the car, saying they used to have one back in the day, etc. Now that would be a surprise!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by forza1 View Post
    That's why be careful. From exprience, you will know where the cops hide etc. If you think there was an error in the cops part, you can contest your ticket.
    This is very true in the U.S. I actually learned about it in a funny way. My car then was a Toyota Corolla liftback. For some reason, the "Corolla" sticker emblem at the back cracked so I peeled it off. The screw-on "Toyota" on the grill also cracked so I took that off, too. So my car was left without any Toyota signage. In fact, the only brand on it was a Cerritos Mitsubishi plate frame I got from my friend.

So once I was ticketed for parking on a streetside in San Francisco on a day I wasn't supposed to park there (streetcleaning day). I was so sure the cop had made a mistake re the actual date I decided to contest the ticket. As I was explaining my case to the judge, I mentioned my car being a Toyota Corolla. The judge interrupted me and said it says Mitsubishi on the ticket. Apparently the cop wasn't familiar with the model of my car and had assumed that it was a Mitsubishi because of the plate frame! She dismissed the case right there and then, even though the color and plate number were correct.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    One of the things I hear about being pulled over is that some cops just pull them over and have a chat about the car, saying they used to have one back in the day, etc. Now that would be a surprise!
    Not if you've been speeding. The closest a cop had chatted with me was when back in Nevada, a local cop (huge red-necked looking fella but really friendly) yelled at me, "Jun! Change those fu*&$&% bald tires (on the Laser) today or I'm telling your uncle!" They're both active in the local Catholic church and he knows I fear a lot more being chewed out by my uncle than being ticketed by him.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    :lol:

----

Depends on how big an enthusiast the cop is, I guess. If your car is something he's really fond of, and you aren't endangering anybody, he might just let you off with a warning and a friendly chat.

Of course, you shouldn't expect it to happen...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by missZ View Post
    Everybody hates a cop until they need one....

Pigs? Pigs? when cops bust you, they are pigs.
    they are. especially Los Angeles and Oakland cops.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing View Post
    You can contest the proof of insurance thing. You can also contest the entrapment thing. They might have quotas.

I do have friends in Daly City who had similar experiences with cops hiding in wait.

Bottom line, sign or no sign, let your the road conditions be your guide.
    Broadmoor cops sila. Broadmoor (tabi ng Daly City) is a very small town. cops there are not busy. this was a case of two bored cops who had nothing better to do. nakatago lang sa dilim.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
got pulled over for doing 35 on a 25..