New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I want to know what kind of barrier yung nakalagay. Dati kasi medyo nagkaganyan na ako. It was night, walang ilaw sa area and raining, suddenly naramdaman ko na lang nahulog ako. Luckily mababaw lang at wala pang nilalagay na cement. Walang damage yung car. I got out kahit umulan and saw na wala kasing maayos na warning sign at barrier yung ginagawa. nagiwan lang sila ng some sort of pile of rocks sa magkabilang dulo ng road repair area. Walang warning signs o kahit matinong barrier. Yung mga tricycle driver dun sa labas, sabi nila may muntik na raw maghulog din dun. The next day nung dumaan ako, ayun meron nang mga warning signs. Sa looban ng ugong/mapulang lupa valenzuela ito nangyari.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    maliwanag dun sa article...

"Mind you, the barrier was clearly under a light to emphasize that the road was closed."

3. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Sa Batangas, usong uso yang pile of rocks, sand, etc... and to top it off, tali lang ang nakaharang.

Magiging immediate instinct mo na agad na mag bagal para iwas shoot sa balde Dude ignores no-entry barriers, drives his Ranger onto wet cement in QC

Sent via Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    common sense.

you know....

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Hopefully the foreman of the construction comapany didn't loose his job...

http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/m...-20160219-lfrm

Hi, Top Gear. I am responding to your article entitled: "Dude ignores no-entry barriers, drives his Ranger onto wet cement in QC." I was the driver of the said white Ranger pickup. This incident happened just a few days ago on Speaker Perez Street. I had just come from one of my friend's house and picked up a puppy that I was going to give to my son for his birthday.

Contrary to what the original poster said, the road wasn't closed on the day this incident happened. I live in Barangay Sta. Teresita, so I know that it wasn't closed. It was just random road reblocking, but cars were still allowed to pass. Passing cars were even gawking at how I had immortalized my Ford Ranger in stone.

As you can see, there is a photo of the street from which I had entered Speaker Perez corner Maria Clara. It shows a makeshift mesh barrier in front of a newly cemented street block. As you can see, there was no signage that said "Do not enter"--not even a yellow strip. Half of the street block was open, so I proceeded.

A few meters ahead, I went to the right side of the street (which is the right side of a two-way street), then I fell into the newly cemented road. Which was almost indistinguishable from concrete because they were probably using quick-dry cement, and the top portion was already dry. What the original poster did not show was the back of the car.

I have a picture of the alleged barriers they were referring to. As you can see, there were two black-and-yellow poles parallel to each other; one of the poles was on the right side of the street, and the other one was in the middle of the street. Take note of the third black-and-yellow pole, also on the right side of the street. And as you can see even in the photos of Barangay Lourdes, there were no damaged poles in front of the pickup, because I hit all air. The dimple in the front bumper had been due to an old traffic miscue--I just haven't had the time to have it fixed due to my busy schedule (I'm a surgeon).

After pouring the wet concrete, someone had probably forgotten to put the third pole in the middle of the first and second ones, to signify that the road was not passable. There weren't even warning signs pointing to the fact that there was wet concrete freshly poured, or a sign as to which side of the road you should pass. And to add to that, the area was also too poorly lit for such a hazardous road construction area.

There also wasn't a construction worker in sight directing traffic when this happened. I had to walk approximately 300m just to ask help and rant how unsafe their construction work was. If this had taken place in another country, they would have been neck-deep in lawsuits. But we're here in the Philippines--it is an accepted fact of life.

After the heavy equipment had pulled the Ranger out of the wet cement, I wanted to file a complaint to the barangay and to the police about the incident, just so the people responsible for this project would change these practices. It was almost 11:30pm, and I was tired as hell. It was a good thing there was still an open car wash at that time; I was their last customer. By the time the car wash was done, my anger had already subsided.

It occurred to me that if I filed a complaint, the foreman and maybe a few construction workers might lose their jobs. I have been working as a resident physician for six years in a government hospital, and I know firsthand the plight of the jobless and the underprivileged, and the effects of unemployment on their families. I might get what I wanted and I might get compensated by the contractors, but I would also end up being responsible for the termination of a handful of people.

And by filing a complaint, I wouldn't even make a dent on this institutionalized unsafe practices that are currently in place. The DPWH should be the one requiring this from the contractors it hires.

After the car wash, I just decided to go home. I realized that the cost of a car wash and an underwash (and maybe a good pair of shoes) was not worth the jobs of a few people. So whoever believes that I was "knee-deep" in wet cement on a less-than-1ft road work must have his facts all messed up. The unpaved road was just a short jump from the pickup, as you can see in the photos.

I don't know the intentions of the original poster, but boy, he must have a lot of time in his hands, and he probably needs a new pair of glasses. Or he must have been high on some seriously good stuff because I sure as hell didn't see any sign or barrier whatsoever, and the pics will attest to that. I assume he must have been that guy there happily taking photos of my situation, rather than helping someone in need. Instead, he just judged me based on a plot he made up in his head.

Well, I forgive him.

Also, sorry to disappoint my bashers, but I was not drunk and I'm not a privileged rich kid who disregarded the "law" and tried out what his new pickup could do just for the heck of it. It was just plain and simple negligence and disregard for the general safety of the road users on the part of the contractors. Some signs and a few lights could have done wonders in preventing a mishap.

I just can't believe that an irresponsible post could lead to so much hate. Ignorance begets hate, and on the Internet it is multiplied a thousandfold.

By the way, the Ford Ranger had been loaned to me by my father. I originally was driving a Mazda 3, but due to the flooding here in Manila, my dad decided to switch cars with me so I could attend to emergency calls from the hospital despite the unexpected weather. But I really wasn't expecting wet cement to be part of those hazards.

Thank you, Top Gear, for hearing me out. I chose the Ranger for my dad based on specs and articles we read on your website, and you're spot-on correct. I hope this clears things up. Thanks again for the articles. Your website has been a big help to us. Even my dad reads it and talks to me like he's an all-knowing expert in cars.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    maliwanag dun sa article...

"Mind you, the barrier was clearly under a light to emphasize that the road was closed."
    the driver is telling us otherwise. with pictures pa. Mukhang yung nangyari sa kanya katulad nung sa akin. Malas lang nya kasi may semento na yung binagsakan nya. Kung totoo yung sinasabi nya malaki chance talaga na mahulog ka dyan accidentally. Mukha sigurong tuyo na yung semento. E ang road pa naman sa atin iba iba ang shade ng pagkagray at itim. Kulang talaga ang government natin maglagay ng safety warning sa mga road projects.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    It also happened to me.. Car naman ang gamit ko.. Raining hard-- no signs-- pag daan ko.. Malambot yung kalsada na tinanbakan ng contractor.. Ayun Yung putik abot hangang half ng tires ko..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234