New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Comparing driver behaviour in Taipei and Manila:

This is a scene in one of Taipei's busy business district. Disciplined ang mag citizen dito sa Taipei. Look at how they all stay in their designated stop zones while waiting for the green light.

Below naman sa Pilipinas:

Cars riding on the pedestrian lane, motorcycles in the yellow box.

We Filipinos should learn a lot of things about driving discipline in Taipei. A recent visit to Taipei reveals that the Taiwanese are very disciplined drivers.

1. Pedestrian Lanes - drivers respect the rights of pedestrians here, they wait until all of the people walking in the pedestrian lanes are all through before driving through. In Manila, you see a lot of drivers even bullying pedestrians.

2. Horn - In the Philippines, I think one foreigner who visited Manila I know is correct when he says that people seem to use their horns for communication - like cursing other drivers perhaps. In Taipei, I hardly hear anybody honking his horn in this place. Our hotel is Xinyi road (major road in the business district) and I have not heard any vehicle honking his his horn in a weeks stay here.

3. Bus Stops - Buses in Taipei stop only at designated bus stops, they don't open their doors until it's safe to let people get off or get in by making sure it is nearest to the curb. They have a designated lane also and they stay there. In the Philippines, chaos - stop anywhere the driver feels like it.

4. Bus drivers - they are very courteous, say Xie-xie (Thank you) after you pay or when you leave the bus. This is perhaps second nature to most Taiwanese - courtesy and I certainly admire them for it.

5. Designated waiting spots - while waiting for traffic light to turn green, motorcycles, bikes cars and buses have their own boxes to wait and all drivers patiently stay put in their designated boxes until it is their turn to go. In the Philippines, you find Public Utility vehicle drivers jostling for position as if their entire career depends on getting ahead of everybody.

I'm not saying all drivers are like this in the Metro Manila, most of them are courteous but there are a few lot who need to be understood. For most of us setting the right example in road courtesy is a good start.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DonCamote View Post
    Comparing driver behaviour in Taipei and Manila:

This is a scene in one of Taipei's busy business district. Disciplined ang mag citizen dito sa Taipei. Look at how they all stay in their designated stop zones while waiting for the green light.

Below naman sa Pilipinas:

Cars riding on the pedestrian lane, motorcycles in the yellow box.

We Filipinos should learn a lot of things about driving discipline in Taipei. A recent visit to Taipei reveals that the Taiwanese are very disciplined drivers.

1. Pedestrian Lanes - drivers respect the rights of pedestrians here, they wait until all of the people walking in the pedestrian lanes are all through before driving through. In Manila, you see a lot of drivers even bullying pedestrians.

2. Horn - In the Philippines, I think one foreigner who visited Manila I know is correct when he says that people seem to use their horns for communication - like cursing other drivers perhaps. In Taipei, I hardly hear anybody honking his horn in this place. Our hotel is Xinyi road (major road in the business district) and I have not heard any vehicle honking his his horn in a weeks stay here.

3. Bus Stops - Buses in Taipei stop only at designated bus stops, they don't open their doors until it's safe to let people get off or get in by making sure it is nearest to the curb. They have a designated lane also and they stay there. In the Philippines, chaos - stop anywhere the driver feels like it.

4. Bus drivers - they are very courteous, say Xie-xie (Thank you) after you pay or when you leave the bus. This is perhaps second nature to most Taiwanese - courtesy and I certainly admire them for it.

5. Designated waiting spots - while waiting for traffic light to turn green, motorcycles, bikes cars and buses have their own boxes to wait and all drivers patiently stay put in their designated boxes until it is their turn to go. In the Philippines, you find Public Utility vehicle drivers jostling for position as if their entire career depends on getting ahead of everybody.

I'm not saying all drivers are like this in the Metro Manila, most of them are courteous but there are a few lot who need to be understood. For most of us setting the right example in road courtesy is a good start.
    The reason why there are discipline driver's not only in taiwan but some countries in the world with strict issuance of driving license...you have to go a driving lessons then aquire and pass the driving exam...Unlike here in the Philippines, even a blind can get a professional driver's license.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Taiwan , China ,Macau almost the same rules and regulation regarding traffic .One month vacation in macau and very satisfied in commuting bus going to different places they have designated bus stop and route number of the bus .Even though you dont know how to speak chinese you will not mislead were your going to. One thing i noticed in macau you can never see any bus ,motorcycle , cars that are smoke belcher .I dont know if they are strict on there emission or the gasoline they put in there car. Most cars are right hand drive .Drivers are discipline .It looks like they dont use horn. Lots of nice cars most i see has full body side skirt. and custom decals on it. In the evening you can hear the roaring engine and muffler.Lots of performance parts. Most of the Filipno work on autoshop as helper .A friend of mine His boss name Daniel tam who use to be an owner of auto accessory like RECARO SEAT and lots of racing parts .The owner own a red FERRARI CAR As it enter the garage you can here the roaring of the engine even not revving. They have also a racing GO CART were most of our filipino gocart racer practice in there track in Macau. Street in macau were very narrow but the drivers are very fast .They have a long bridge going to Macau Tower and has a Radar Detector on it. Have a nice time in macau all i do is to buy an accessory on my Big Bike and car.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    You can't say anything more, here we get the kind of drivers basically because of how the LTO issues driver's licenses. Strict issuance and political will is the key.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Discipline can only be seen on real, civilized, and master-planned cities.
    Metro Manila is the best (and maybe the only) jungle city. The only excuse is, agree or not, we're still a third world country...

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    walang katapusan debate tong topic. lack of proper education kasi ang problema dito sa Phils., matira-matibay ang style dito kasi.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Napapagusapan lang . Kung may mga rules and regulation tayo sa batas traffic . Kung ang bawat driver hindi naman sinusunod wala ring mangyayari . Ganoon din sa mga nagpapatupad nito sa mga traffic enforcer wala ring mangyayari. Dapat matagal na kumbaga sa puno matigas na ang sanga dapat habang maliit pa itinatama na. Bakit pag sa loob ng subic ingat na ingat ang mga driver . Paano alam nila na kailangan silang sumunod sa batas traffic sa loob kung hindi huhulihin ka talaga at noon pa ipinatupad iyan kaya alam ng mga driver sumunod ka sa batas ng traffic sa loob.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Well it all boils down to strict implementation of the traffic rules by the traffic enforcers.

Kaya marami nag kakabarilan sa daan dahil walang nagpapatupad ng batas at ung mga nag gigiit ng tama sila un ang nananalo nang bubully sa daan, pag alam mo tama ka at depend mo na tama ka, mababaril ka pa.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KERSMcRae View Post
    Discipline can only be seen on real, civilized, and master-planned cities.
    Metro Manila is the best (and maybe the only) jungle city. The only excuse is, agree or not, we're still a third world country...
    Believe it or not, Manila actually had a master plan designed by no less than Daniel Burnham, who also designed Chicago (and Baguio), among others. Needless to say, Manila's master plan was not followed.

Filipinos are actually cursed with a peculiar sense of proxemics that doesn't translate well into discipline in traffic. We can only define space as perceived by physical boundaries. Lanes delineated by mere paint or markers remain invisible to us. Hence local drivers tend to try to insert themselves in between two cars, or between a car and the curb. It is also the reason why MMDA needs to put up its pink fences - these are very physical barriers that we can sense and follow.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    +1 on stricter policies on driving license issuance.
    that's the root cause of the problem. next is stricter implementation of traffic rules. tignan nyo sa subic, ambabait natin mag drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Driver discipline - Taiwan vs Philippines