New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 37 of 93 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Boy Bastos:
    In our last highschool reunion naman, the middle-incomes(employees most of them), arrived in Fortuners, Monteros, CRVs, etc. and talked about their achievements in life after highschool. Business owners and rich clan heirs are just using Citys, Vios and an old Nissan Pickup and talked about the good ol' days.
    vinj:
    Yep, for them (the long-time established ones), there's really nothing to prove. You're there to see old friends and reminisce.
    yung mga matagal nang mayaman (as in generations) wala sila kailangan patunayan. everyone knows they're rich. they'd rather NOT have people think they're rich. kaya they tend to be low profile. in casual conversation they don't talk about money. it's too private for them

yung mga bagong asenso lagi meron gusto patunayan. they wanna show everyone how far they've come. everywhere they go they have this in-your-face attitude na "mayaman na ako". sila yung mahilig sa status symbols. in casual conversation, they love telling people how much money they make, what they bought, what places they travelled to etc

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    Boy Bastos:

vinj:

yung mga matagal nang mayaman (as in generations) wala sila kailangan patunayan. everyone knows they're rich. they'd rather NOT have people think they're rich. kaya they tend to be low profile. in casual conversation they don't talk about money. it's too private for them

yung mga bagong asenso lagi meron gusto patunayan. they wanna show everyone how far they've come. everywhere they go they have this in-your-face attitude na "mayaman na ako". sila yung mahilig sa status symbols. in casual conversation, they love telling people how much money they make, what they bought, what places they travelled to etc
    yung tipong, "papayaman ka palang, mayaman na ako" parang papunta ka pa lang, pabalik na ako

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    moral lesson of that story: hindi lahat ng naka-FX ay cheap, (naka-FX din ako, DATI) hehehehe..!!!!joke lang. or let's say don't judge the asset of a person by means of a car he drives. meron nga ako kilala atty. na e, pero lite-ace lang ang gamit.
    It's hard to establish/acquire your own assets nowadays. Ako, atty. na rin for 5 years but still driving a 1997 mitsu galant. 2nd hand ko pang nabili nong 2009. Here in our province, most lawyers and prosecutors are using late 90's model cars and early/mid 2000 plus. Only some judges in their 60's are buying brand new cars/suv's. Some judges and prosecutors in their late 30's, 40's or 50's are buying brand new cars/AUV's in installment or buying slightly used SUV's. kaya I don't feel discriminated even if I'm driving a 14 year old car. In fact, in our office, it's only me out of 6 lawyers who owns a car. Ako naman kasi ang chief nila. Yong 1 owns a multicab, pero bihirang gamitin.

priority kasi ng karamihan is to acquire their own house and lot, as we all know, it is the most expensive investment. But some of us chose to buy first the 2nd most expensive investment out of necessity, and that is a car. kaya karamihan, 2nd hand car lang muna ang binibili out of their own money, while saving a budget for buying their own house and lot. I bought a car kahit 2nd hand for me and my family's safety and of course, for personal comfort and convenience.

maswerte yong mga galing sa maykaya/mayayamang pamilya, mga studyante pa lang, may sasakyan na. O kaya, some of them receive a car as a graduation gift or gift for passing bar or board exams.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    May mang-discriminate pa kaya nito?

[SIZE=1]picture grabbed from: Vintage Car Club's multiply page[/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Bastos View Post
    Guys, this is not a fiction or an urban legend. It's a first hand experience. The area is near Eng Bee Tin, 711, et al. in Binondo. The building is relatively old and I didn't see the building owner.

To continue the story. The Matrona-looking lady just hop back to her Fortuner and I presumed she looked for another parking space.

My family is into manufacturing and trading. I have met a lot of individuals.

There was this guy in a province down south of Luzon who drives around in an old Willys jeep. Yet, he lives in a ranch and big mansion. Another one in Nueva Ecija, Willys jeep din ang type. Pero he owns a few commercial buildings and a big farm land.

In our last highschool reunion naman, the middle-incomes(employees most of them), arrived in Fortuners, Monteros, CRVs, etc. and talked about their achievements in life after highschool. Business owners and rich clan heirs are just using Citys, Vios and an old Nissan Pickup and talked about the good ol' days.
    In our high school reunion, we always talk about the good old days. it's good to remember the happy memories. But even if you don't talk about your personal achievements, your high school friends already know what you achieve, so, your achievement speaks for itself. Most achievers are of course proud of themselves, but they need not to brag or tell everyone about it.

Pa-OT lang ulit ha, personal achiever-this is mine!/governor/mayor/congressman/lawyer/doctor/engineer/high ranking L.E.O. na ako ngayon, i have the power and authority! vs. business owner/rich clan heir-this is ours/sa pamilya namin yan/here's my share to our family business.

Pero yong pagiging low profile/humble vs. mayabang/maangas/matapobre, personal characteristics yan ng individual. Merong mga rich pero low profile/humble pa rin, meron namang middle class pero grabe kung makaasta.

Personally, di na ko umaasa sa mana. Baka pag-aawayan lang namin ng mga siblings and cousins ko yan someday if it is not settled by our parents. Personal observation ko rin, even business owners/rich clans could be bankrupt if their businesses is/are mismanaged by the heirs.

To share something, the grandparents of my mother were the richest couple in one of the municipalities in our province. They own several businesses and farmlands. However, the couple died at early age due to a tragedy. Their heirs divided their properties among themselves, yong kawawa kong lola, mga 50 hectares lang (pinakamaliit na share) na farmland ang nakuhang share at yong pinakamalayo pa. But my grandparents (lola & lolo) concentrated in their farm and other businesses and made it sure that their children would finish their education. Kaya meron silang mga anak na lawyer (Justice na ngayon), Doctor, teacher, and Chief Nurse and CPA who are both working in New York. While some of my mother's cousins enjoy their wealth but did not finish their education. Worse, yong iba pa, nagwaldas lang ng pera sa kasusugal, kaya ngayon, marami akong 2nd cousin na naghihirap kasi naubos ng grandparents at parents nila sa kakabenta yong mga properties nila.

Medyo nakinabang pa naman ako sa proceeds ng mana ng mother ko kasi nakatulong naman ng konti sa pagpapa-aral sa aming magkakapatid. Unfortunately, their property was surrendered to the gov't's. Comprehensive Agrarian Reform program.

Sabi ko nga, ano kaya kung sa commercial center ng Makati or somewhere in NCR ang location nong property na minana ng lola ko? I might have enjoyed a better life.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by galant E SS View Post
    To share something, the grandparents of my mother were the richest couple in one of the municipalities in our province. They own several businesses and farmlands. However, the couple died at early age due to a tragedy. Their heirs divided their properties among themselves, yong kawawa kong lola, mga 50 hectares lang (pinakamaliit na share) na farmland ang nakuhang share at yong pinakamalayo pa. But my grandparents (lola & lolo) concentrated in their farm and other businesses and made it sure that their children would finish their education. Kaya meron silang mga anak na lawyer (Justice na ngayon), Doctor, teacher, and Chief Nurse and CPA who are both working in New York. While some of my mother's cousins enjoy their wealth but did not finish their education. Worse, yong iba pa, nagwaldas lang ng pera sa kasusugal, kaya ngayon, marami akong 2nd cousin na naghihirap kasi naubos ng grandparents at parents nila sa kakabenta yong mga properties nila.
    Same thing happened to the generation of my great-grand parents back in Sugarlandia. The relative who had the most mana lost it all eventually.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    May mang-discriminate pa kaya nito?

[SIZE=1]picture grabbed from: Vintage Car Club's multiply page[/SIZE]
    Puwede ba akin na lang byung chevy single cab pick-up. Cool! :cool2:

If you want to be really rich, you need to be in business. A salaried person can have millions but won't be really rich to ever really matter to the Taipans level or even the Don's
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zap.FREEDOM View Post
    moral lesson of that story: hindi lahat ng naka-FX ay cheap, (naka-FX din ako, DATI) hehehehe..!!!!joke lang. or let's say don't judge the asset of a person by means of a car he drives. meron nga ako kilala atty. na e, pero lite-ace lang ang gamit.
    I know someone from my previous school yung family niya (graduating siya ng HS next year) naka Tamaraw FX sila may construction business sila.

Yung isang classmate ko parents niya ay OB Gyne and Dermatologist. Mga sasakyan nila is a 1994 Tamaraw FX and a 2004 Kia Pregio. Heck hindi siya nadidiscriminate.

Other one HS Classmate ng mother ko may trucking business sila (sikat sila sa Pasig City) mga sasakyan nila were a 1998 Mitsubishi Adventure, 1999-2000 Honda Civic VTi (can't determine the year, nakaspecial plate eh) and a 2002 Nissan Patrol. Medyo old nga sila and no word from them kung bibili ng bagong sasakyan considering the income of their business.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Puwede ba akin na lang byung chevy single cab pick-up. Cool! :cool2:

If you want to be really rich, you need to be in business. A salaried person can have millions but won't be really rich to ever really matter to the Taipans level or even the Don's
    Parati ko nakikita yung pick-up dito sa may amin. Ang ganda. Haha.

Hindi ako maghuhugas kamay, I discriminate] old cars, but only those who are dilapidated and the like. I NEVER discriminated well kept ones, regardless of their year kasi alam ko naman kung gaano kamahal mag-restore/maintain ng ganyan. And I'm pretty sure to bring someone else's junk back to its former glory can cost you an arm and a leg. And because of that, I really appreciate the owner for spending so much time on his vehicle hence the need of some praise rather some discrimination.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by galant E SS View Post
    It's hard to establish/acquire your own assets nowadays. Ako, atty. na rin for 5 years but still driving a 1997 mitsu galant. 2nd hand ko pang nabili nong 2009. Here in our province, most lawyers and prosecutors are using late 90's model cars and early/mid 2000 plus. Only some judges in their 60's are buying brand new cars/suv's. Some judges and prosecutors in their late 30's, 40's or 50's are buying brand new cars/AUV's in installment or buying slightly used SUV's. kaya I don't feel discriminated even if I'm driving a 14 year old car. In fact, in our office, it's only me out of 6 lawyers who owns a car. Ako naman kasi ang chief nila. Yong 1 owns a multicab, pero bihirang gamitin.

priority kasi ng karamihan is to acquire their own house and lot, as we all know, it is the most expensive investment. But some of us chose to buy first the 2nd most expensive investment out of necessity, and that is a car. kaya karamihan, 2nd hand car lang muna ang binibili out of their own money, while saving a budget for buying their own house and lot. I bought a car kahit 2nd hand for me and my family's safety and of course, for personal comfort and convenience.

maswerte yong mga galing sa maykaya/mayayamang pamilya, mga studyante pa lang, may sasakyan na. O kaya, some of them receive a car as a graduation gift or gift for passing bar or board exams.
    understood na naman rin yun sir, napakamahal kasi mag-aral lalo na Law pa yung sa inyo ilang taon din yan, million din ata pagsinuma-total ang gastos sa pag-aaral ng abogasya, kaya pagka-graduate ng isang pangkaraniwang student, 2nd hand lang muna ang nabibili, ok lang at least graduate ng college, law pa! kaya swerte talaga yung mga galing sa bigtime na pamilya,kuha agad ang luho. natural talaga pagka-graduate e ubos ang pera,

Do people discriminate against old cars?