New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've been pondering on this for the last few weeks: Do people generally discriminate against old cars?

We have a bone-stock B13 1.4L Nissan Sentra in our garage which my family bought brand new way back in 1993 and never sold since it has been quite handy as an extra car. We get more utility in keeping it rather than selling it since its cheap to maintain, everyone learned to drive in it, we use it to the market, when we go to "alanganin" places, for quick trips to the grocery, etc. Its still has all its original paint with a couple of dents but the body is generally still straight and clean. Its not an eyesore really and still runs strong and quiet (mileage is at 114K kms).

I still like driving it due to its easy handling and the unassuming character it has so i started taking it to the office once or twice a week, since it has been left at my garage to be cared for. I noticed though that the following happens to me more often when i drive this old car:
    1. Other cars (especially SUVs) tend to tailgate me more often (although i still drive at the same pace).
    2. When i fetch my wife at the Ayala Ave. passenger pick-up points after work, the traffic guards signal me to get moving almost immediately (with other cars, they don't even mind me and even assist my wife as she boards the car at times).
    3. More idiots speed up and give me the headlight flash when i signal to properly switch lanes.
    4. Passers-by give it a strange second look at the office when its parked next to all the car-planned Monty Sports, Camrys, Accords, Civics, CR-Vs, Corolla Altises and Fortuners at middle/senior management parking lot. (seeing this also makes one easily realize how cars have really grown in size/dimension over the last two decades)

I could also swear the valet at Shangri-La Makati must have breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing i wasn't going to have the car valet parked when i went there for a lunch meeting.

When i drive this car, it makes me realize how superficial some people can become because of what they drive and not who they are.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    yes people do look down on people who drive old cars

tingin nila poor ka lang di ka makabili ng new car

ganyan ka-superficial ang tao

well kasi superficial talaga ang pinoy

puro image lang

so pinoys also judge other people superficially

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    at the other end of the spectrum pansin mo ang treatment sayo pag naka high end luxury or exotic car ka

they allow you to park where they don't allow other cars to park

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Well yan ang ugaling pinoy.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ugly truth is, to most people...
    money ears respect...
    or money is repect

ganun talaga.. ewan ko ba..based on experience...

pag gamit ko ung kia pride, grabe, mga kasabayan mo sa road, di ka papasingitin, masingitan mo mumurahin ka sa tingin... kahit yellow boys, papahintuin ka kahit alam na nauna ka na sa kanto...

kaya pag dati kong xtrail ang gamit ko, aba, bumabawi ako... nagtatabi at VIP ang treatment...pero....

ang gusto ko lang sa pride, pag sakaling magkaroon ka ng legal na huli....makakapagbargain ka ng mababang "padulas.. samantala kung sasakyan mo ay bago/SUV... fixed ang amount...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Same sa celphone. Pagnaka iphone, rich ka daw...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    Same sa celphone. Pagnaka iphone, rich ka daw...
    iba tingin ko sa mga naka iphone, mga nakabaon sa utang sa credit card yun

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    iba tingin ko sa mga naka iphone, mga nakabaon sa utang sa credit card yun
    hahaha.. hindi naman lahat... XD iphone user ako hehehe....
    but i have to agree most people i know who has an iphone try to cut their eating budget just to buy one hehehe
    research says that people who are often updated on gadgets, has unresolved issues during their childhood... hehehe

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    research says that people who are often updated on gadgets, has unresolved issues during their childhood... hehehe

buti na lang wala akong iphone........

Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
Do people discriminate against old cars?