New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Bud_wiser
    there was a big issue about diplomatic immunity and traffic violations when a foreign ambassador to the UN killed a motorist (a family pa ata, if I remember correctly) while driving drunk. All the US police could do is just ask that he be declared persona non grata and have him kicked out of the us. But the drunk driver was naver charges or spent time in jail at all.
    yes they can. they can also do anything at their embassy / consulates as these are extensions of their nation. our laws do not apply there.

but to note also that this same privelege is also extended to our FILIPINO diplomats working overseas.

I don't know if these diplomatic plates are really true or not. If there were diplomats in the car, shouldn't they be driving like diplomats? I've seen some diplomatic cars go like crazy in the streets. Not very diplomatic I suppose
    yes, they are valid. to note also that OUR own FILIPINO drivers drive a whole lot crazier than them. my place of work is near the ADB but I have yet to see a reckless driver going or coming to the ADB. Name a car and they've got it: M3, X5, etc. Although many of them still use "ordinary" cars like CR-Vs, Sportage, Camry, etc.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by notEworthy27
    If there were diplomats in the car, shouldn't they be driving like diplomats? I've seen some diplomatic cars go like crazy in the streets. Not very diplomatic I suppose. :D
    keep in mind that most of these cars are not usually driven by the diplomats themselves - they might have pinoy drivers ;)

also, the service vehicles of the ADB, UN, WB, etc. are all driven daily by Filipino employees of those organizations.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    btw, papano kung opposite, i.e. pinoy ang nakadisgrasya ng diplomat?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What if the driver of the car with a diplomatic plate is a pinoy and he runs over someone?

Immune ba siya? I noticed kasi a lot of those rekless drivers are hired drivers lang, and they are usually like that when they are driving alone. (feeling yatang may-ari at immune kasi ).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    follow up din, pano kung hindi naman nakasakay ang diplomat tapos yung pinoy driver yung naka-disgrasya?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try, once may nag counterflow na diplomat car ( i forgot ah benz yata) sakto ako ang nasa harapan niya, i did not move a bit, its his three pointed star or my TJM bumper.

when he opened the door he apologizes to me.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    yup. the pinoy drivers are probably the more reckless ones behind the wheel. let's face it, discipline is not one of our strongest virtues.

I'm not a lawyer but I think a pinoy driver of a diplomatic car is immuned from suit. but he can be fired by his employers and I don't know if he becomes liable when he loses his "immunity by proximity" LOL

kimpOy, pinoy yung driver ng counterflowing car or foreigner?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    yung filipino driver (presumably a filipino citizen or permanent resident of the philippines) of the diplomat or foreign embassy is still liable. he can be charged in our local courts (ref: art 37, 1961 vienna convention on diplomatic relations)

only the members of the diplomatic corp are not liable for arrests (refs: art 29 & art 31, supra) or the premises of the diplomatic mission or means of transportation are even immune to searches (ref: art 22[3], supra).

just my contribution lang po, hehehehe :D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bud_wiser,
    pinoy yung driver, pero my hunch is inutos ng foreigner yung driver to counterflow, hunch lang im not sure

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Benderbot..astig resourceful ah..san mo nakuha yan?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Diplomatic Plates