New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    typical scenario: my car is hit by another car. the other car has comprehensive insurance. but when it comes to repairs, we all know insurance companies have their own list of accredited repair shops to do the work. my question is, how do i demand from the insurance company that all works on my car be done at the shop of my choice, and that they pay for all cost?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    err, you can't.

or more strictly speaking, malaking sakit ng ulo unless you have it done at the accredited shop. anyway most of these accredited shops are dealerships, so not exactly holes in the wall.

pwede din yata na you just ask them to fork over the cash tapos ikaw na pagawa. pero in that case ang alam ko you have to show them a quote from the shop of your choice tapos medyo babaratin ka pa. better to just do things their way.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    another thing is, the insurance company will not pay for all your costs. look at the insurance terms closely. lalo na if your car is >5 years old, you will pay 40% of the cost of all parts!!!!!

insurance will only shoulder the entire cost of parts (less participation of course) if the car is 0-3 years old. this is a very big gotcha which can end up costing lots of money.

although i can say from experience that in the case of People's General, they will waive the 40% share requirement if you agree to accept replacement or surplus parts. Since in my case it was a fender and cornering light, I was all too glad to save the 40% from leaving my pocket.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    You could demand that your car be repaired by your preferred shop. However, you would be paid based on its evaluation, which is based on the lowest estimate of its accredited shops. I suggest that you check first who are their accredited shops. Baka may magustuhan ka duon. Less hassle if you would allow your car to be repaired by its accredited shops. If you do, you should periodically inspect the progress of the repairs.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanx for d info.. will clarify this issue with standard insurance before renewing the contract with them...

dealing with insurance companies