The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^probably diliman papers.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn_duke View Post
    "Y" plates? what is with the "Y" plates?
    I am visiting in Cebu right now and I see almost all brand new cars here have the Y plates.
    I even saw some in Ormoc and as far as Legaspi City.
    The plate prefix denotes the region where the vehicle was registered.
    Y - Cebu (before it used to be G)
    R - Central Luzon (Region 3)
    B - Cagayan (Region 2)
    A - Region 1
    L - Southern Mindanao
    K - Northern Mindanao
    H - Leyte area (if i recall correctly)
    F - Bacolod/Iloilo

Plates from different regions that travel in the NCR are usually flagged down and checked. Especially if its an imported car as the provincial ports have been known to have issues on smuggling.
    Last edited by vinj; February 1st, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I am a B plate guy myself, I think people bash the conversion process on these vehicle who have not actually seen it done or inspected some of the newer vehicles that are coming out of there. I personally took a trip to Cagayan a few years ago, posted some stuff about it on the forum. But the larger converter shops like on the main strip were most of the vehicles are being done were being done with kits vs cut and weld. Many of these vehicles have a none Japanese version of the steering as well as the instrument panels. Japan figured this out long ago. Many vehicle has extra long wire harness so you don't have to cut and hack everything up wire by wire simply move it over.

I spent a good 6 hours talking with the guys working on these things and watching vehicles being converted, For example my Elgrand is equivalent to a US Nissan Pathfinder and overseas Terrano so a conversion of the steering system is not really a issue just Like a Honda Fit.

My van rides better and steers better than a Fortuner, There is not one weld or cut to the suspension to make this set up work, Those days are over unless you go to a low end backyard conversion shop, Every electronic item on my vehicle works perfect.

I support people who want to buy local produced or dealer sold vehicles but with out these imports there would be a lot less vehicles on the road. And with the income inequality in the Philippines not every can throw down for a 700000p or 1.2 million peso vehicle for about 450000P to 350000P you can get a nice fully loaded Van with some actually horsepower and features.

I could easily buy a Fortuner, but I can't find the 600000P difference over my current Elgrand Highway star. Plus the parts and supplier support these vehicles create, give a lot of jobs that would not be there.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've driven some good conversions... but I've driven some awful ones. It's at the lowest end of the price tree where you see the worst work being done, as on some Delicas which have experienced spectacular failures.

I guess it's caveat emptor. It's just with non-converted vehicles, there's less to look out for... unless they've been Ondoy'd .

Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    does someone have a list of ASEAN countries that sell average cars, and what prices they are selling these cars compared to here in the phlippines?
    Pointless. Different tax structures.

Malaysia has higher prices than we do for non-Mallaysian made cars, but they had to relax that due to AFTA.

I think Indonesian and Taiwanese prices are similar. There might be less tax on Taiwanese.

Last I heard, Vietnam's car taxes are pretty high.

Singapore's car taxes are completely ridiculous, even compared to ours.
    Last edited by niky; February 1st, 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    I am a B plate guy myself, I think people bash the conversion process on these vehicle who have not actually seen it done or inspected some of the newer vehicles that are coming out of there. I personally took a trip to Cagayan a few years ago, posted some stuff about it on the forum. But the larger converter shops like on the main strip were most of the vehicles are being done were being done with kits vs cut and weld. Many of these vehicles have a none Japanese version of the steering as well as the instrument panels. Japan figured this out long ago. Many vehicle has extra long wire harness so you don't have to cut and hack everything up wire by wire simply move it over.

I spent a good 6 hours talking with the guys working on these things and watching vehicles being converted, For example my Elgrand is equivalent to a US Nissan Pathfinder and overseas Terrano so a conversion of the steering system is not really a issue just Like a Honda Fit.

My van rides better and steers better than a Fortuner, There is not one weld or cut to the suspension to make this set up work, Those days are over unless you go to a low end backyard conversion shop, Every electronic item on my vehicle works perfect.

I support people who want to buy local produced or dealer sold vehicles but with out these imports there would be a lot less vehicles on the road. And with the income inequality in the Philippines not every can throw down for a 700000p or 1.2 million peso vehicle for about 450000P to 350000P you can get a nice fully loaded Van with some actually horsepower and features.

I could easily buy a Fortuner, but I can't find the 600000P difference over my current Elgrand Highway star. Plus the parts and supplier support these vehicles create, give a lot of jobs that would not be there.
    Nice one sir! Paano ginawa yung dashboard niyo? At narelocate ba yung gear shifter?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Dash is a kit, It's not cut up, except for one section at the bottom but it's smooth and looks OEM. Shifter cable has the extra length to be moved to the opposite side. As I stated manufactures there caught on to this a while back because the laws and inspection regulations and cost of owning a vehicle of 10 year or older is prohibitively expensive, It's cheaper to buy a new car. And they know there are markets that require the steering to be on the other side especially the Philippines so there is a good sized market for producers of these conversion kits to get these vehicles sold especially to one of the closest markets of them which is the Philippines.

Now you will have to deal with a few oddities of these vehicles like headlight aiming, side view mirror aiming, or the turn signal lever being on the opposite side of the steering wheel ect. Oh and the fuss box now being behind the glove box, little things like that but I can't see paying 600000P more for stuff I can deal with or work around.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    Dash is a kit, It's not cut up, except for one section at the bottom but it's smooth and looks OEM. Shifter cable has the extra length to be moved to the opposite side. As I stated manufactures there caught on to this a while back because the laws and inspection regulations and cost of owning a vehicle of 10 year or older is prohibitively expensive, It's cheaper to buy a new car. And they know there are markets that require the steering to be on the other side especially the Philippines so there is a good sized market for producers of these conversion kits to get these vehicles sold especially to one of the closest markets of them which is the Philippines.

Now you will have to deal with a few oddities of these vehicles like headlight aiming, side view mirror aiming, or the turn signal lever being on the opposite side of the steering wheel ect. Oh and the fuss box now being behind the glove box, little things like that but I can't see paying 600000P more for stuff I can deal with or work around.
    Napakadetailed talaga ang conversion mo ah. So far after all these years, I've only seen one column mounted shifter on a converted vehicle on the right side of the steering column and that was on a 4x4 Space Gear. Hindi mo na pinaayos yung headlight aim and side mirror mo bro?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Not much you can do about the colum shifter being on the left, For me not a big deal it does not get in the way with anything. Your headlights you can adjust by using washers as spacers to get them aimed correctly since they are designed for use in Japan and can semi blind oncoming drivers. The passenger side side mirror if you have power ones like I do just get blind spot mirrors. Mine will not fully turn out as far as I would like. But as I said not worth a 600000P difference to me.

Here's my shifter, I have no issues with it. Elgrand is 4 times better than a crosswind any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    BTW, napansin ko na ang mamahal nga ng mga PhDM na kotse dito, compared to US prices of course

(OT)
    Honestly, may tampo ako sa local car manufacturing dito sa pilipinas, I mean they need to STOP MAKING THOSE F*CKIN JEEPNEYS!...naunahan na tayo ng malaysia sa car industry, kasi imbis na magfocus tayo sa pag-manufacture ng production vehicles ay walang ginawa kundi gumawa ng kaha ng jeepney at salpakan ng isuzu engine....haaay! ANFRA! can you hear me?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wala naman tayong sariling atin eh. Kahit ba naman ang jeepney ay hindi totoong atin being actually an American design. And then later on based on Japanese truck platforms and using reconditioned Japanese truck engines.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
"Cagayan" imports, pro or anti?