New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO-V View Post
    Yes and no.

First we need to understand that the notion of "poor people being poor because it is their choice" is rubbish. No one wants to be poor. But if you are born poor with little to no access to basic nutrition and health care, let alone education and opportunities for self-improvement, where do you really go from there? Or those people who found themselves here and are unable to return home?

City governments are realizing that urban poor populations are depriving their coffers of much needed income. More often than not, these squatters are cost centers that burden everyone. It really just comes to whether a city has come to that tipping point, wherein the cost of the votes have been superceded by the cost of squatting.

In my opinion, the only politicians with an incentive to keep the status quo on squatters are those on the left. Where else will they get their huddled disgruntled masses after all?

The bigger problem on a national scale are the rural poor who migrate to the city in search of opportunities. These are the people that local and national politicians often rely on for votes.
    Good points...But it is not only politicians affiliated with the left who harbor squatters. I remember a discussion I had with our messenger a few years back when he relayed to me his neighborhood's glowing appreciation for the courage of Cong. Crisologo and Cong. Daza in their defense for the rights of the poor. He continued that, Cong. Crisologo and Daza were always with them "kapit bisig" whenever a demolition team sent by the city Government appeared in their community. Thus, he said that these two lawmakers will forever have their support even through generations.

Our messenger was a local leader in his community and I asked him if he knew of any proposed law, a resolution or any action filed by their favorite Congressmen that would help improve their lot in life. He responded in the negative. Obviously these two Congressmen would rather have the a status quo with the squatters and would love to continue with their "heroic" theatrics come demolition time, lest they lose votes during elections. Well, the Daza's have been one of the most successful political clans in QC. they have been around for years thanks to the vote of the great unwashed.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    ang reklamo ko lang sa mga illegal settlers ay yung napakaraming bata tapos walang nagbabantay na magulang, katakot umabante eh baka me masampolan.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Yes and no.

First we need to understand that the notion of "poor people being poor because it is their choice" is rubbish. No one wants to be poor. But if you are born poor with little to no access to basic nutrition and health care, let alone education and opportunities for self-improvement, where do you really go from there? Or those people who found themselves here and are unable to return home?

City governments are realizing that urban poor populations are depriving their coffers of much needed income. More often than not, these squatters are cost centers that burden everyone. It really just comes to whether a city has come to that tipping point, wherein the cost of the votes have been superceded by the cost of squatting.

In my opinion, the only politicians with an incentive to keep the status quo on squatters are those on the left. Where else will they get their huddled disgruntled masses after all?

The bigger problem on a national scale are the rural poor who migrate to the city in search of opportunities. These are the people that local and national politicians often rely on for votes.
    Their choice without even knowing it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Yes and no.

I never said poor people chose to be poor. You're correct that nobody wants to be poor and live a hand-to-mouth way of life. But I still do believe that it is up to the person to change. I have staff who are the sons of farmers and household help who have turned their lives around such as our sales head who now lives a very comfortable life.

I have yet to see a politician face the squatter problem squarely in the face. I doubt this issue will be solved within my generation.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Therapeutic din naman magbasa (at mag-post) ng thread na ito. Nailalabas ang mga hidden angst at pent up emotions. Hehe.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I.L.L. View Post
    I never said poor people chose to be poor. You're correct that nobody wants to be poor and live a hand-to-mouth way of life. But I still do believe that it is up to the person to change. I have staff who are the sons of farmers and household help who have turned their lives around such as our sales head who now lives a very comfortable life.

I have yet to see a politician face the squatter problem squarely in the face. I doubt this issue will be solved within my generation.
    Linya ng mga politico yang "poor people don't have a chance to better their lives" therefore it's not their choice to be poor.

Go to the slums, tanong mo kung magkano ang kinita ni mister at ni misis then tanong mo kung ilan ang anak nila. Mapapa mura ka lang. There are few who choose to be responsible and work really hard and guess what just like your staff they live a comfortable now.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Badtrip mga squatter na nakatira malapit sa creak dito. Binabarahan nila un creak para inde sila bahain. Sarap lunurin ng mga ogag.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NightRock View Post
    Sabi nga ng founder ng Alibaba "if you are still poor at 35 you deserved it"
    Amen. Diskarte lang. Plus luck. Resources? This can be covered by diskarte.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    parang unti unti na namang dumadami ang squatters sa agham road. Pati na rin dun sa holy spirit ba yun yung kanto ng luzon ave at congressional ave extension. napapaisip tuloy ako kung nagkataon lang o dahil malapit na 2016 election.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789