New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    With regard to the C5- Ortigas flyover... the problem is the truck driver already knows na alangan yung size and weight ng vehicle nila pero still, pinagpipilitan idaan sa flyover instead of going straight under.

Yep, DPWH and Binay wanted a flyover; Bayani had better things in mind. His reasoning was that it would cost less to build the elevated U-turn but if you look at it, resources and materials used dont seem too far apart.
    You cannot compare the costs just by looking at it.

A system of flyovers may require more space (i.e. land) to accommodate the ramps. Land is definitely expensive in Metro Manila.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's a couple of pictures I took at around 10:00am yesterday as I was driving through C5.

First picture, you will notice ALL vehicles are funneling to the three NARROW lanes under the flyover. This is like 5 WIDE lanes of C5 suddenly changing to 3 NARROW lanes causing the bottleneck. Note that this traffic extends all the way past Market Market. The speed of traffic is much SLOWER than someone walking on the sidewalk. Immediately passing through the elevated u-turns, traffic gets much lighter and flowed quickly.

Second picture, you can see a truck STALLED on top of the elevated u-turn with a tow truck in front of it. I don't know the story behind it but most of us knows the net result of having ONE LESS LANE on the u-turn. Note that the truck and tow truck is not moving for the entire duration it took me to pass through the area, it's like the guys were working on the disabled truck right on the elevated u-turn.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; May 18th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    You cannot compare the costs just by looking at it.

A system of flyovers may require more space (i.e. land) to accommodate the ramps. Land is definitely expensive in Metro Manila.
    Thats also the concern actually if you're talking about land use; the U-turn flyover required much more space as they had to expropriate more land, cut through more rock and mounds/hills, and widen a much longer portion of the road just build it. Had it been the straight-through flyover (for C5 north and southbound lanes) as proposed by other parties, they would just have to widen the road near the intersection to accommodate the service road for those going under to turn left or right.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    It's funny to read all the past negative comments and criticisms that it won't work. lol.

I've passed here several times and C5 Kalayaan intersection has improved a LOT. Obviously, it was dreadful during construction (just like any) but look at it now.

Before, I always expect that there will be traffic starting at the approach of the flyover before Kalayaan (sorry don't know its name) up until Kalayan avenue itself, also at its opposite (market market to Kalayaan). Now, nada. I still haven't experienced that build-up so far. :-)

Hopefully, MMDA can also do something about Mayon avenue. It's this road from A.Bonifacio that leads to Welcome Rotonda. It's worse than an off-road track.

Thumbs up to BF!
    You must not have use C5 on rush hour (specially mwf) or you are extremely lucky or your an MMDA employee/etc. heheheh. C5 traffic is so heavy on rush hour that its just ridiculuous it takes around 30 minutes or more just to get pass from market market to pasig cbd (ramp down)!!! maybe they should have just created an H-elevation and not a U-elevation. (H-Elevation so that vehicles on the lane approaching the ramp up do not have to change lanes to go forward.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Let me add, the congestion then encourages many Pasig bound drivers to aggravate it by "2 cutting lanes" across the downward ramps and into the path of cars coming from Buting, Pasig who need space to merge into U Turn slot leadin to the Kalayaan or C5 southbound lane. All these crazy swerving causes accidents, my sister's car was side swiped by a jeep, of course wala kaming na kuhang pera. For a short time, the MMDA installed barriers so that only cars from Buting/Pasig could enter into the service road....hehe, di nag tagal, Inalis. Bakit kaya? Nagreklamo kaya iyun mga public utility jeeps na gusto ganoon ang pagmamaneho? Jeeps have of course learned to "linger" at the intersection to pick up passengers. If you stand on top of the pedestrian walkway, you will see what a disaster it is, a student driver would dread using this U turn slot. Tsk Tsk. And so far, now initiative from the MMDA to sort this out. I talked to one MMDA officer there, I asked why none of them bothered to call the attention of swerving motorists, he said, ang titigas po ng ulo, di mapasunod....huh???????????? Meantime, there are 3 - 4 of them cooling their heels at the Kalayaan side waiting to catch cars from C5 soutbound who swerve into Kalayaan from the middle lanes instead of using the service road.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Here's a couple of pictures I took at around 10:00am yesterday as I was driving through C5.

First picture, you will notice ALL vehicles are funneling to the three NARROW lanes under the flyover. This is like 5 WIDE lanes of C5 suddenly changing to 3 NARROW lanes causing the bottleneck. Note that this traffic extends all the way past Market Market. The speed of traffic is much SLOWER than someone walking on the sidewalk. Immediately passing through the elevated u-turns, traffic gets much lighter and flowed quickly.

Second picture, you can see a truck STALLED on top of the elevated u-turn with a tow truck in front of it. I don't know the story behind it but most of us knows the net result of having ONE LESS LANE on the u-turn. Note that the truck and tow truck is not moving for the entire duration it took me to pass through the area, it's like the guys were working on the disabled truck right on the elevated u-turn.
    The reason they are cramming into 3 lanes is because the fourth lane is closed due to falling rocks on the side. Plus this is not the cause of the traffic, as you pass through this bottleneck, it is still traffic because the real bottleneck is the bridge and the c5 ugong flyover.

And despite the stalled truck up the flyover, there is a lot of space to turn there. For sure, the two lanes are open.

Anyway, be it this flyover or another type of flyover, there is no doubt that traffic had improved there than before. I remembered traffic was horrible there, backing all the way to gate 1 in kalayaan ave. going to pasig or from c. Raymundo going to makati. Now, everything is moving.

I said before, this flyover would be so successful moving traffic faster that the other flyover will be causing traffic.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Traffic talaga kahit pag balibaligtarin nyo yung flyover na yan o u turn slot or whatever you call that monstrosity of a structure...best solution is RH bill...go to the RH bill thread for more info hehe

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    Traffic talaga kahit pag balibaligtarin nyo yung flyover na yan o u turn slot or whatever you call that monstrosity of a structure...best solution is RH bill...go to the RH bill thread for more info hehe
    LOL, nagising ako dito. :coffee:

* MGuy, both the two-lane Pasig flyover and the U-turn slots are bottlenecks actually. If you go southbound in the morning, the traffic starts to free up after the U-turn flyover but the buildup starts well before the Pasig flyover (similar case as with the northbound in the evening as you mentioned).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    even the association of Engineers eh sinabi na PALPAK itong ginawa ni BF. meron ako na post dito sa show ni CheChe Lazaro regarding this issue eh. parang "asyong aksaya" ang title eh

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

this is what we're talking about. 5 lanes going to three.

those reopened U-turn slots in the pasig C5 don't help traffic at all either.

I hate these u-turn slots. dalawang beses na kami nabangga sa mga pesteng uturn slots na yan.

All things equal, mas gusto ko pang dumadaan sa espanya kaysa sa q.ave. Less jostling for position kasi hindi nagna-narrow yung roads every now and then.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Bayani's Kalayaan Fiasco