New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Xer View Post
    IMm29,

If you ever find yourself in QC maybe you can drop by our service shop.
    We accept card payments without surcharge.
    Thanks! Will do that if I'm in the area

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    You're right in that the credit card companies are not there to be your friends, and if you're not careful, it's real easy to sign away on a card that is not very beneficial to you. However, there are many valid uses for credit cards other than "spending next month's salary." Not everyone has problems with spending wisely and within their means.[/QUOTE]

My point was never that spending wisely was beyond too many people, though that is too easy to fail at with Credit Cards. My point is that the system enforces the participation of all consumers be they users of the CC or not. Why should I, a cash consumer, have to bear the burden of the 10% commission that the CC company collects. Granted that my 10% goes to the store owner, it was taken out of my pocket by the CC company, and forcibly done so because the CC company, with the co-operation of the pertinent goverment agency, forces the shop owner to charge everybody for the 10% commission of the CC company.

I don't see valid uses of the CC other than making it truly easy for you to spend your money. Perhaps you could oblige me by listing a few of the benefits. All I see is that a few monied clever people have inserted themselves into my transactions and have given me a bigger bill in the process.

Pencils

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencils View Post
    Why should I, a cash consumer, have to bear the burden of the 10% commission that the CC company collects.
    Don't like it? Shop somewhere else. That is the nature of capitalism. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that shops add a surcharge because they care so much about cash paying consumers.

I don't see valid uses of the CC other than making it truly easy for you to spend your money. Perhaps you could oblige me by listing a few of the benefits. All I see is that a few monied clever people have inserted themselves into my transactions and have given me a bigger bill in the process.
    - You don't have to carry cash around.
    - Large purchases don't require you to make a trip to the bank, or several withdrawals at the ATM.
    - If your wallet is lost or stolen, you only lose the card, not the money it represents.
    - Credit cards offer charge back for merchants that don't deliver.
    - A lot of cards offer cash back rewards or frequent flyer miles.
    - You have a detailed account statement; useful for tracking spending.
    - Online purchases.
    - Helps you build credit for bigger loans.
    - Useful when you need money in a pinch.

What's not to like?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto_Xer View Post
    IMm29,

If you ever find yourself in QC maybe you can drop by our service shop.
    We accept card payments without surcharge.
    sir, san shop niyo sa QC?

back to topic, if you will look at the penalty masyado mababa ang affordable ng mga violators.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Practically all the car shops in the Malugay, Makati area impose surcharge on Card purchases.

The Indian owner of LACars would even give you a litany of reasons why he imposes surcharge none of which makes sense. He even reasons with all grace and aplomb as if all his customers are clueless with credit card/merchant/acquirer related transactions.

The owner of one other shop in the area, Karland or Karplus, would give discounts by way of waiver of the surcharge, which is fair.

I think we should name all these shops that imposes these surcharges in this thread. As consumers we should be vigilant of our rights.

Also, anytime we encounter a shop doing this, we should report it to the DTI:

http://www.dtincr.ph/complaint.php

The penalty may not be much for 1 or 2 offenses but repeated violations may lead to revokation of their business license.

I once e-mailed a complaint on another customer related issue and I got reply from the DTI and, subsequently, a clarification from my internet service provider. Its worth the effort.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    all my credit cards are paid in full every month so no finance or penalty charges are ever charged to me, so non of that 'minimum payment' nonsense. i also have my yearly membership fee waived.

for me, the CC is very useful, bringing around cash or going to the ATM all the time is just too risky nowadays.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    ALso since you need to go grocerys, gas and the likes everyday, you earn points also whenever you do this and shop or dine....

WBR,

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    Don't like it? Shop somewhere else. That is the nature of capitalism. Just don't fool yourself into thinking that shops add a surcharge because they care so much about cash paying consumers.

- You don't have to carry cash around.
    - Large purchases don't require you to make a trip to the bank, or several withdrawals at the ATM.
    - If your wallet is lost or stolen, you only lose the card, not the money it represents.
    - Credit cards offer charge back for merchants that don't deliver.
    - A lot of cards offer cash back rewards or frequent flyer miles.
    - You have a detailed account statement; useful for tracking spending.
    - Online purchases.
    - Helps you build credit for bigger loans.
    - Useful when you need money in a pinch.

What's not to like?
    My goodness. I really should open a business for customers like you. Better yet, I should establish a CC company of my own. What's not to like ? I get 10% of every peso you spend by relieving you of the terrible weight of carrying a few bills. For 10 % of every peso you spend I offer you some brownie points which will encourage you to spend more for the PRIZE ! I'll even help you to count the money you spent because you no can't be bothered by keeping receipts to tell you where you let your money go. Besides, you'll never figure out that 10% of that went to me. You'll actually be gratefull that I sent you a summary of all your spendings. I'm your friend. I'll even help you find more ways to spend, like online shopping. Why shop local when you can shop worldwide. Plus I throw in another PRIZE. I'll tell others you're a good spender, if you spend enough and actually manage to pay for it all. Anyway, if you fail to pay on time, I can always charge you another 10 or 15%. These are only numbers. The more customers I have like you, the more commissions I get and if I get enough people like you, I can force my way with all the people who are so selfish that they would deny me my 10%. And don't you worry if you're a bit short. You have automatic bridge financing that will allow you to continue spending.

What a great customer you are and all I get is a miserable little 10% of every peso you spend. Who are these evil tightwads who want to deny me my 10% when I can give them brownie points and summaries. How selfish of them to do their own counting.

I'm the fool for not going into the CC business when their are great customers like you around.

Pencils

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    I offer my apologies.

The tone of the preceding post was cynical and sarcastic and certainly not discursive.

The thing I point out to you is that those items you point out as valid uses of the credit card are interpretable as silly non-existent gifts. If you want to borrow big, you need collateral and a proven income the is at least 5x youre amortizations. That's a standard in banking regulations enforced for the sake of giving you every chance to pay your loan on time and not default your collateral. Large expenditures for whimsical purchases are just proof of poor money management and an impulsive nature. Likewise, frequent flyer miles are intended to attract the frequent flyers who normally have real reasons for the need to travel and not just a desire to win that free flight. It's not economical for any but the business people who need to fly anyway. The rest of us do so for the rare vacation justly earned and sorely needed. The summary can also be called a bill and online purchases are truly attractive but only if the product involved is not locally available, or the local merchants are truly that bad.

What you need to be aware of is that the CC collects 10% or some such for each and every peso you spend with the CC. Merchants cannot absorb so large a cost. That percentage is passed on to you the CC user and is built into the selling price. Do you think it won't be there if you don't think about it ? It was certainly very visible when CC's first were introduced but these days the practice has been enforced by patronage and we no longer think about it. Am I so very bad for wanting to preserve my 10 % and looking for the merchants who at least offer me a discounted price for paying in cash ?

Who do you serve when you report merchants who put a surcharge on CC users ? Who benefits ? As I see it, the decree is just the goverment agency making sure the 10% that the CC company earns is hidden from your eyes. It becomes hidden because cash and CC consumers are charged the same. The CC company doesn't care that the merchant gets the added 10 % as long as you are unaware that they get that 10 % for every use of their CC. Does this truly benefit you ? I think the reason behind the regulation is to benefit the CC company.

The CC can be an asset for those who regularly entertain at company expense or even their own. Being high volume spenders, carrying that amount of money on a regular basis is inconvenient and clumsy at times. Regardless that many of these merchants now issue their own CC's in various forms, a general CC is better to have as it allows you flexibility in places to go and spend. These people who legitimately need to spend large volume and frequently are few. Most of us do not have that need, but we are being forced to participate by this regulation.

I don't like credit cards.

Pencils

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Large expenditures for whimsical purchases are just proof of poor money management and an impulsive nature.
    Some people buy on a whim because they can afford to, not because they have a credit card.

The CC can be an asset for those who regularly entertain at company expense or even their own.
    I wouldn't want to carry 5,000 pesos in cash just to do my groceries. Or carry exact change for a full tank of gas. (I will never know how much until I fill it up.) I find the CC quite useful in that respect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AUTOSHOPS - May dagdag when paying via credit card (surcharge)