New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    To the MODS/Admins, i don't know if pwede ito dito. Pero i still encountered auto shops that tells me pag nag bayad ako nang credit card may surcharge pa din.

Dati kse sa news, i've heard na bawal na ito. Nag research ako ulit for that law and found this..
    http://www.dtincr.ph/law_policies.php
    http://www.manilatimes.net/national/...70422top2.html

http://www.dtincr.ph/files/LawsAndPolicies-DAO_10.pdf -- PDF file

DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 10
    SERIES OF 2006
    SUBJECT: Reiterating the Rules on Price Tags/Labels and Providing Prohibition Against the Imposition of a Surcharge, Extra Charge or Additional Charge in the Use of Credit/Automated Teller Machine (ATM)/Debit Cards for Payment of Purchases of Consumer Products or Services

WHEREAS, Republic Act No.7394, otherwise known as the Consumer Act of the Philippines, declares that it is the policy of the State to protect the interests of the consumer, promote his general welfare and to establish standards of conduct for business and industry;

WHEREAS, Article 3 of Republic Act No. 7394 declares that the best interest of the consumer shall be considered in the interpretation and implementation of the provisions of this Act, including its implementing rules and regulations;

WHEREAS, the progress in technology of the globalized economy comes along with the convenience of business activities and consumer transactions through the use of credit cards as a mode for payment of goods and services;

WHEREAS, the credit/ATM/debit card holders must be protected from sellers/retailers who impose surcharges or additional amount over and above the price tag on the goods and services in the use of credit cards in payment thereof;

WHEREAS, there is a need to amplify and supplement the current DTI Department Administrative

Order No. 09, dated 10 September 2002, providing rules on price tags and labels;

NOW, THEREFORE, pursuant to the provisions of the Consumer Act, the following Order is hereby
    prescribed for the information, guidance and compliance of all concerned:

Section 1. Scope and Coverage. This Order shall apply to all retailers and retail sales to consumers.
    Section 2. One Price Tag Requirement. Every retailer is required to display a price tag to indicate the
    price of each consumer good and/or services, as required in Articles 81 to 83 of the Consumer Act of
    the Philippines or R.A. No. 7394.
    The price tag must be written clearly, indicating the price of the consumer product including Value
    Added Tax (VAT) whenever the consumer product is VATABLE. Service charge, if any, shall not be
    included in the price tag.
    Example:
    1. Correct – When the price tag is inclusive of VAT as shown in Official Receipt issued.
    PRODUCT 1 1 P26.00
    PRODUCT 2 1 36.00
    PRODUCT 3 1 112.00
    TOTAL SALES P174.00
    TAX INCLUDED 18.65
    The consumer pays P 174.00 only.
    2. Wrong – When the price tag is exclusive of VAT as shown in the Official Receipt issued.
    PRODUCT 1 1 P26.00
    PRODUCT 2 1 36.00
    PRODUCT 3 1 112.00
    SUB TOTAL P174.00
    VAT 18.65
    TOTAL SALES 192.65
    The consumer pays P 192.65.
    Section 3. Modes of Payment and other Price Tag Practices . It is necessary to consider business
    practices relative to the mode of payment to determine compliance with Price Tag Law. These
    practices include the following:
    1. When the consumer pays in cash, he shall pay only the price indicated in the price tag.
    2. When the consumer pays through a credit/ATM/debit card, he shall pay only the price indicated in
    the price tag.
    3. When the retailer offers the consumer an option to pay in cash, card or on installment, the same
    is allowed provided the payment options shall be disclosed by way of a separate information to
    the consumer but not in the price tag.
    4. Price tag indicating a separate CASH PRICE TAG and REGULAR PRICE TAG on each product
    or service is not allowed.
    5. Price tag indicating a separate CASH PRICE TAG and CARD PRICE TAG on each product or
    service is not allowed.
    Section 4. Price Reduction Sales Promotion. In case of sales promotions involving price reduction,
    seasonal sales, reduced revenue sale, discount sales, and other general or selected prize reductions,
    it shall comply with the provisions of Rule XIII, Sections 1, 1.1 to 1.6 of Department Administrative
    Order No. 2, Series of 1993 implementing the Consumer Act of the Philippines.
    Section 5. Prohibition Against Surcharging by Retailers. All retailers who honor/accept
    credit/ATM/debit cards for payment shall not require the cardholders to pay a surcharge, extra
    charge, or additional charge over and above the price tag on the consumer goods and services.
    Section 6. Consumer Complaints. The provisions of the Consumer Act under Article 159 to 166 as
    well as DTI Department Administrative Order No. 07, Series of 2006 shall govern consumer
    complaints on violations of Articles 81 to 83 of the Consumer Act and this Order.
    Section 7. Penalties. Violations of the provisions of Article 81 to 83 of the Consumer Act and this
    Order shall be penalized under Article 95(b) and Article 164 of the same Act quoted as follows:
    1.) Article 95 (b) of the Consumer Act: any person who violates the provisions of Article 81 to 83
    for the first time shall be subject to a fine of not less than Two hundred pesos (P200.00) but no more
    than Five thousand pesos (P5,000.00) or by imprisonment of not less than one (1) month but not more
    than six (6) months or both, at the discretion of the court. A second conviction thereunder shall carry
    with it the penalty of revocation of business permit and license.
    2.) Article 164 of the Consumer Act wherein after formal investigation, any of the following
    administrative penalties may be imposed on the respondent even if not prayed for in the complaint:
    a. the issuance of a cease and desist order, Provided, however, That such order shall
    specify the acts that respondent shall cease and desist from and shall require him to submit a
    report of compliance therewith within a reasonable time;
    b. the acceptance of a voluntary assurance of compliance or discontinuance from the
    respondent which may include any or all of the following terms and conditions:
    1.) an assurance to comply with the provisions of this Act and its implementing rules and
    regulations; and
    2.) an assurance to refrain from engaging in unlawful acts and practices or unfair or unethical
    trade practices subject of the formal investigation;
    3.) an assurance to comply with the terms and conditions specified in the consumer
    transaction subject of the complaint;
    4.) an assurance to recall, replace, repair, or refund the money value of defective products
    distributed in commerce;
    5.) an assurance to reimburse the complaint out of any money or property in connection with
    the complaint, including expenses in making or pursuing the complaint, if any, and to file a
    bond to guarantee compliance therewith;
    c. restitution or rescission of the contract without damages;
    d. condemnation and seizure of the consumer product found to be hazardous to health
    and safety unless the respondent files a bond to answer for any damage or injury that may arise
    from the continued use of product;
    e. the imposition of administrative fines in such amount as deemed reasonable by the
    Secretary, which shall in no case be less than Five hundred pesos (P500.00) nor more than
    Three hundred thousand pesos (P300,000.00) depending on the gravity of the offense, and an
    additional fine of not more than One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) or each day of continuing
    violation.
    Section 8. Repealing Clause. All orders and issuances which are inconsistent with this Order are
    hereby repealed or amended accordingly.
    Section 9. Publication and Effectivity. This Order shall be published in two (2) newspapers of
    general circulation and shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication.
    Issued this 18 day of October 2006 in Makati City, Philippines.
    (Sgd.) PETER B. FAVILA
    Secretary
    Recommended by:
    (Sgd.) ZENAIDA CUISON MAGLAYA (Sgd.) VICTORIO MARIO A. DIMAGIBA
    Undersecretary Director
    Consumer Welfare and Trade Regulation Group Bureau of Trade Regulation and
    Consumer Protection
    Medyo magulo, kse nag copy and paste ako. Andun sa taas ung PDF link.

Most auto shops na napuntahan ko was in Makati, Malugay. Sabi ko alam ko bawal na yun, ang sabi sa akin. "Meron talga sir, sa amin".

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, tama ka. Bawal na yan...

Sa Servitek, Autotechnika & CPM Muffler wala naman surcharge kapag via credit card ang payment.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    yes bawal yan, in our depot selected lang items pwede gamitan ng CC...for those na pinapatungan before, strictly cash only para walang sabit. of course hihina ang sales on some items pero those are the super low markup items kaya no choice..

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Bawal yan. Pag may surcharge, I just don't patronize their products/services. Pwede mo i-report sa Credit Card company mo, so they could take action/s.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    So in essence businesses will increase their prices to cover for the possibility that the customer will pay with a card. Tama ba? Because they have to make sure they can pay the CC "commission".

If that's the case then that doesn't sound pro-consumer.

Does anyone have statistics on the % of Filipinos who actually have a credit card?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    [quote=the_wildthing;813021]So in essence businesses will increase their prices to cover for the possibility that the customer will pay with a card. Tama ba? Because they have to make sure they can pay the CC "commission".

That's not fair.Magulang ang tawag sa mga yan.E ang taas na ng mga mark ups ng mga yan e

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    di rin naman naalis ang surcharge eh...tinago lang ng mga establishments(dept. stores)....kung dati...may mga naka-tag na regular price(para sa credit), at cash price....ngayon....inalis na yung cash price sa tag pero kapag tumingin-tingin ka sa mga items, and after mag-inquire regarding some specs of the item, ang itatanong na sa yo ng salesperson is kung cash mo ba bibilhin kasi may discount daw kapag cash purchase...so...ganun pa rin ang suma-total....meron pa ring regular price at cash price....kaya balewala din yung batas regarding this

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    medyo unrelated, pero even PCX has removed the 6% surcharge for card payments. ang ginawa na lang nila, me 3% discount pag cash B)

it would be nice if we could all pay via card sa talyer...i know i would've racked up some serious points these past 2 years...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by lm723 View Post
    Most auto shops na napuntahan ko was in Makati, Malugay. Sabi ko alam ko bawal na yun, ang sabi sa akin. "Meron talga sir, sa amin".
    Yup, just purchased a drop in air filter along Malugay. There was a surcharge for use of the credit card. There was also a shop along Malugay na nakiki-swipe sa iba pang establishment. They charge 9% coz yun daw ang sinisingil sa kanila nung establishment kung san sila nakiki-swipe. Had to agree to that crappy deal that time coz my installation was complete, I didn't have cash on me, and they said they accepted cards. D*mn! Di na ko bumalik.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    I don't like Credit Cards. They charge 10% of your bill in restaurants and I don't know what they charge for other purchases, but if I could save the 10%on everything I purchased, simply by paying cash, I would be very happy.

To make things sweeter for the CC company they charge you for using their CC regardless that they don't make money if you don't, and they also charge you extra for NOT using their CC if you have one but don't make any purchases. One company sent me a CC with the declaration that I was PRE-APPROVED, and would be allowed the first year without the subscription charge. When I didn't use their card they immediatly began charging me P 200/month that I failed to make any purchases with their card. They've given up on me now.

Seems to me that everything goes in favor of the CC company. Now with this law, I don't have any advantage left for not using a CC except the feeling of satisfaction that they don't make money from my purchases.

I don't like Credit Cards. I can still remember how the restaurants I used to patronize raised their prices because of the CC. Besides, it encourages me to spend my money even before I've made it, moreso had it in my pocket. And, if I make the mistake of spending too much, the CC company gets to charge me usurous rates for the amount I fail to pay. Now they really have me every which way.

It seems to me to be better to refrain from purchasing anything until I have the cash to pay for it.

Pencils

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AUTOSHOPS - May dagdag when paying via credit card (surcharge)