New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    The one thing I noticed about the armored vans is that they are the worst monsters after 1700H. Why? They are in such a rush to go back to their garages and into the arms of their loved ones (?!).

Design and modify the guardrails all you want but it still won't stop a rampaging vehicle from flying off the Skyway. The bottom line here is defensive, responsible driving and minding the signs...

The Skyway, IMHO, is cleared of all liability here because of the sign that they put up on the approach to the offramp...\

Cheers...
    While tama nga, the major responsibility for the incident is on the shoulders of the driver and the company maintaining the vehicle, that still doesn't excuse poor and dangerous road design.

I've been driving on the Skyway since it opened, since I'm from Laguna and we frequently have meetings in Sampaloc, Makati and Quezon City. And that off-ramp is horrible. The design was flawed from the beginning, and, in my opinion, it's dangerous for large vehicles even at 40 km/h (some of you who take it all the time may agree... even 40 km/h seems to fast for most drivers)

They designed it that way from the need to clear buildings and avoid legal troubles... it would've been better if they'd just let it outlet onto Sergio Osmena like the Buendia, Magallanes and the other Makati off-ramp (which is in a poor position, too, but is a little less dangerous).

Simple solution... place blinking yellow lights there, and rumble strips right at the base of that ramp. Costs very little, should prevent further accidents.

-----

And for pity's sake, will someone please tell them to move the rumble strips on the C5 southbound to 100 meters before the turn? They still don't do any good if you're hitting them after you've lost control...

-----

And put speed governors on those armored vans... maybe... 40 km/h? And limit their steering to 10 degrees, so it'll be hard for them to swerve at other cars...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    control...

-----

And put speed governors on those armored vans... maybe... 40 km/h? And limit their steering to 10 degrees, so it'll be hard for them to swerve at other cars...
    holduppers' dream come true

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    While tama nga, the major responsibility for the incident is on the shoulders of the driver and the company maintaining the vehicle, that still doesn't excuse poor and dangerous road design.

I've been driving on the Skyway since it opened, since I'm from Laguna and we frequently have meetings in Sampaloc, Makati and Quezon City. And that off-ramp is horrible. The design was flawed from the beginning, and, in my opinion, it's dangerous for large vehicles even at 40 km/h (some of you who take it all the time may agree... even 40 km/h seems to fast for most drivers)

They designed it that way from the need to clear buildings and avoid legal troubles... it would've been better if they'd just let it outlet onto Sergio Osmena like the Buendia, Magallanes and the other Makati off-ramp (which is in a poor position, too, but is a little less dangerous).

Simple solution... place blinking yellow lights there, and rumble strips right at the base of that ramp. Costs very little, should prevent further accidents.
    Yes, it's a given that we have to drive defensively and responsibly, but that does not stop there. Other drivers must also do the same for everyone's well being. And the roads that we drive on also have to be safe. The Makati exit off-ramp and on-ramp are not the safest points on the Skyway. The design is flawed and dangerous. In a culture like ours where signs are not enough to deter drivers, actually physical measures to ensure that speeds are kept low at these areas have to be in place. If these can't be put there, then they'll have to strengthen the barriers or correct the design. Otherwise, accidents like these are bound to happen again.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Yes, it's a given that we have to drive defensively and responsibly, but that does not stop there. Other drivers must also do the same for everyone's well being. And the roads that we drive on also have to be safe. The Makati exit off-ramp and on-ramp are not the safest points on the Skyway. The design is flawed and dangerous. In a culture like ours where signs are not enough to deter drivers, actually physical measures to ensure that speeds are kept low at these areas have to be in place. If these can't be put there, then they'll have to strengthen the barriers or correct the design. Otherwise, accidents like these are bound to happen again.
    To make it short, it should be idiot proof

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    To make it short, it should be idiot proof
    With the way people drive here,

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Armored Vehicle Fell from the Skyway