New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    andyinmanila wrote: "ROAD EDUCATION is what is lacking, In the first world countries it takes best part of a year to earn a licence and a rigid driving and theory and hazard perception test must be passed."

Yessir, I readily agree to this. That's why here in the Philippines, we don't have a 20-30 car pile ups in the highways as is happening in the first world countries (US and UK notably?) because we filipinos do not have proper driving instructions before obtaining our driver's license.

On the brighter side, the saying goes that "If you can drive here in Manila, you can drive in any part of the world".

Now, you've been here 3 years, with such an astute obsevation. So what can we do about that?

Live with it and drive defensively.

I have a british co-worker here who have resigned and stayed in Pampanga with his wife and his comment? I LOVE THE PHILIPPINES and its people.

Only in the Philippines.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by burjegol View Post
    andyinmanila wrote: "ROAD EDUCATION is what is lacking, In the first world countries it takes best part of a year to earn a licence and a rigid driving and theory and hazard perception test must be passed."

Yessir, I readily agree to this. That's why here in the Philippines, we don't have a 20-30 car pile ups in the highways as is happening in the first world countries (US and UK notably?) because we filipinos do not have proper driving instructions before obtaining our driver's license.

It is because there are no roads where you can safely drive over 70 kph, Can you please tell me when the last big vehicle pile up was in the UK?

Is this why people are killed daily by buses? killed daily riding motor bikes like idiots?

First 3 months of 2009 only below.
    At the same time, the PNP noted that [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]cars[/COLOR] were most involved in road accidents with 3,698 cases, followed by motorcycles with 2,529 cases, while passenger buses placed third with 991 cases during the same period.[/COLOR]
    The latest accident involving two passenger buses in Lucena, Quezon killed nine and wounded 41 others, Not a good record,

UK
    Now check the UK national statistics office,

In 2007, 646 pedestrians were killed in road accidents in Great Britain; this was 22 per cent of all deaths from road accidents, a 78 per cent decrease from 40 years ago when pedestrian fatalities were 2,964.

The total number of deaths in road accidents fell by 7 per cent to 2,946 in 2007 from 3,172 in 2006. However, the number of fatalities has remained fairly constant over the last ten years.

Nearly half (49 per cent) of people killed in road accidents were car users in 2007. Pedal cyclists and motor cyclists represented
    5 and 20 per cent of those killed respectively. Occupants of buses, coaches, goods and other vehicles accounted for the remaining 5 per cent of road deaths.

I am used to living here now so dont try and tell me the driving is safer here in PI.

On the brighter side, the saying goes that "If you can drive here in Manila, you can drive in any part of the world".

Rubbish, is that why most filipinos in the UK fail a driving test several times before they get a UK licence? I know My wife and I live among Filipino nurses in the UK for years

Now, you've been here 3 years, with such an astute obsevation. So what can we do about that?

Live with it and drive defensively.

Defensive? a word un known to many on the roads here

I have a british co-worker here who have resigned and stayed in Pampanga with his wife and his comment? I LOVE THE PHILIPPINES and its people.

I obviously love living and working here as well or else I would move on, I dont understand your comment?

Only in the Philippines.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    so what's the percentage, in UK in comparison with the Philippines? How many motorist is UK compared to the Philippines?
    And have I tried to tell you that it is safer to drive in the Philippines? Please do note it to me since I tend to forget those.
    and filipinos flunking tehir driver's exam in UK? Of course. You drive in the wrong lane (to the filipinos' point of view). Them guys were used to drive on the right side of the road. So, turning right he has to be on the right lane. In UK, turning right, you have to be on the left lane. Have that experience with my Indian colleagues when I was in Saudi. They have difficulty adjusting to driving there as they, like you limeys, were driving on the left side of the road.
    Rubbish? sir, put any seasoned filipino driver on the wheel on any country and within minutes he can adjust to the driving attitudes of that place. My wife's uncle has a Canadian friend who visited here in the Philippines. He was driving in Canada for 30 years. Upon arrival in Manila, he rented a car from Avis. after 30 minutes, he returned the car saying that he cannot drive in this place so he opted a chaffeur to go with.

Never heard of defensive drivers in Manila? I have encountered aplenty. Even I am one.
    Now, look. we people, notably the middle classes, have to scrimp and save in order that we can obtain a car. so we have to care for it as repairs for it hurts our pocket. One of the unnecessary repairs is due to road accidents. hence, we try to avoid it by driving defensively.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    But we have to admit, defensive drivers are a minority here in the Philippines.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    that is why i hate driving around manila......my BP tends to boil when driving around manila.
    I also noticed sa SLEX, hindi masyadong conscious mga drivers sa passing lane and driving side by side kaya madalas may build up ng slow moving vehicles.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    that is why i hate driving around manila......my BP tends to boil when driving around manila.
    I also noticed sa SLEX, hindi masyadong conscious mga drivers sa passing lane and driving side by side kaya madalas may build up ng slow moving vehicles.

pansin ko rin to sa SLEX mga nasa kaliwa mababagal kaya lahat ng mabibilis napupunta sa kanan. Overtake rin ako sa kanan na kase pag punta ka fast lane naku ang babagal.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Rubbish, is that why most filipinos in the UK fail a driving test several times before they get a UK licence? I know My wife and I live among Filipino nurses in the UK for years

I beg to disagree. Most of our nurses who goes abroad may have not owned a car or have driven at all their life in the Philippines.Its when they go abroad that they can own a car or learn to drive because it becomes a necessity and one factor is their age, when your trying learn to drive when your older it take more effort learning when your young. Thats why I think a good number of filipino nurses fail. I have driven in the U.S. it din't become a problem adjusting.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    lets admit it.. most filipino drivers are less courteous on the road same with pedestrians.. my father went in the united states for a 1 month tour and he told me that traffic rules are well observed in the US unlike here in the PH.. we can say that filipinos are "madiskarte" in driving but still we do not follow the rules..

andyinmanila just posted what he observed and from that, it may come to our senses to change our driving habits.. there are always room for improvement and we need it to make our country a better place to live..

in other countries where the law is strictly implemented, filipinos adapt and follow the rules wince they don't want to get into trouble.. but here, we know we can get away so we break the law... just the same ^ekfinder^ did when he drive in the USA "he adjusted" and that isn't a problem at all

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by praetor91313 View Post
    But we have to admit, defensive drivers are a minority here in the Philippines.
    Yessir. though a minority, but they do exist here in manila.
    As andyinmanila wrote "Defensive? a word un known to many on the roads here". Sir andy, quoting from a famous Englishman "Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    lets admit it.. most filipino drivers are less courteous on the road same with pedestrians.. my father went in the united states for a 1 month tour and he told me that traffic rules are well observed in the US unlike here in the PH.. we can say that filipinos are "madiskarte" in driving but still we do not follow the rules..

andyinmanila just posted what he observed and from that, it may come to our senses to change our driving habits.. there are always room for improvement and we need it to make our country a better place to live..

in other countries where the law is strictly implemented, filipinos adapt and follow the rules wince they don't want to get into trouble.. but here, we know we can get away so we break the law... just the same ^ekfinder^ did when he drive in the USA "he adjusted" and that isn't a problem at all
    Just as what I have mentioned previously. Any veteran filipino driver could readily adapt to the driving attitudes of his locality. Just take a look at those puj drivers in quiapo. 2 pumps at the clutch pedal before engaging the transmission with a crraaacckkk, 3 pumps on the brake pedal to stop, a full turn on the steering wheel before the vehicle responds, yet they pass thru traffic at minimum distances, stops a few feet from intended stop and what else?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    NLEX today at Bucaue coming back to Manila, I was in the exact fare lane, patiently waiting my turn, then at least 6 or 7 cars try and drive direct to the front of the line, of course no one wants to let them in.

The jerk next to me (yes its a single lane but he tries to barge his way in) cannot be patient and let the traffic flow. he is about 3 inches from the car in front and eventually in his impatience he hits the car in front..

I took great please in waving at him (in a friendly manner as he stood arguing with the driver of the car he hit)

Also in Angeles a car had broken down ON the roundabout right next to Marquee Mall causing huge tailbacks, instead of pushing it out of the way the clown was working on it in the middle of the road..

Absolutely comical how the F**K are they allowed to get away with it?

I assume no one cares or gives him grief or assistance to push the car.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Ambulances on SOuth Super Highway