New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    e ambulance nga ng lgu kasi. newly promoted siguro yung driver, dating janitor sa munisipyo.

- - - Updated - - -

e ambulance nga ng lgu kasi. newly promoted siguro yung driver, dating janitor sa munisipyo.
    ayan ka nanaman yebo baka may magreact nanaman.

btt: didahil may wangwang at right of way ka di ka na pwede tamaan. yan ang masaklap na aral na natutunan ng ambulance driver.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    According to Atty. Robby of Top Gear Philippines, hindi po abswelto ang jeepney. The fact that the ambulance failed to slow down can only help to reduce the cost that the Jeepney driver and operator will pay. But still, the jeepney will be the one to pay damages.
    OT: doc ganda ng signature mo.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    "kung sino bumangga, sya may kasalanan ... ganon lang kasimple ang batas" - mamang pulis

4. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by falken View Post
    The ambulance has the right of way, but he should've slowed down a bit while approaching the intersection. The jeepney driver meanwhile, was just simply following Philippine traffic rules as in yellow means go faster.
    not having watched the video yet when i read this, i thought the poster was just being sarcastic. but after having watched the very clear video, and at several different angles at that... this post makes sense.

given it's in a philippine (or manila) setting... mukhang mali nga yung ambulansya. green pa naman when the jeep came speeding by since clear naman yung intersection. clearly from camera 2, a few meters before the jeep reached the intersection, nag-yellow. aminin natin, normally, kahit naman ako o ikaw yun that means you're still in the clear kasi it takes a few seconds pa naman bago maka-react yung mga nasa red light. eh yung ambulansya counterflow na nga di pa nag-menor sa intersection. natakot yata maunahan.

be that as it may, pag inimbestigahan na ito... kung ano pa rin ang nasa rule book yun ang pagbabasehan. so doon medyo talo ang jeepney driver dahil parang beating the red light na rin ang dating nung ginawa nya. kaya nga maganda alamin mo rin ang rules para you can drive manila-style, but just within the envelope of what the law states.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post

*Horsepower: China van? Isn't that a Nissan Elgrand?
    Thanks for the correction. I was having a hard time identifying the vehicle. from the badge, akala ko foton or some china brand van. Now that you mentioned it, I browsed Google images for El Grand and saw one similar to this. It's awfully short to be used as an ambulance though.

I did not write the manual on emergency driving. But the maneuver done by the ambulance is a commonly employed maneuver both here and in other countries.

The correct way to do it is (at least for the company I work for):
    1. Approach intersection with light and sirens
    2. Slow down
    3. Switch siren tone (usually from wail to yelp) or hit the air horn button. The change in siren tone breaks the monotony and should catch the attention of other road users. Sometimes we also speak over the public address system to request all vehicles to stop or let us proceed.
    4. When clear, proceed.
    5. Switch back to wail tone

Point is, when you hear sirens and you can't fix on where its coming from, it never hurts to slow down and reassess your surroundings. Manong jeepney driver was obviously not paying attention when he gunned it on a yellow light.

And as per report, the ambulance had a patient and was fully staffed at the time. No way to confirm this from my end.

However, motorists should also yield to an ambulance without a patient on board as a lot of us also respond to calls and without any established idea of the patient's conditions, we have to get there asap.

Most government ambulance drivers, such as the one in the video,also have very little training. They're the same guys who insist on using the hazard lamps in an emergency. Kuya, kahit naka sirena at emergency lights ka, you still have to signal your intention to turn. Apparently, hindi nila alam ito..
    THIS should be made a manual for these LGU drivers and other EMS drivers for that matter.

According to Atty. Robby of Top Gear Philippines, hindi po abswelto ang jeepney. The fact that the ambulance failed to slow down can only help to reduce the cost that the Jeepney driver and operator will pay. But still, the jeepney will be the one to pay damages.
    Hmmmmm..

According to my attorney, the jeepney driver can use Contributory Negligence as a defense and the Ambulance party will NOT be able to get anything from him (as if naman may makukuha sila sa kanya. hahaha!) should the judge rule in his favor because from the video, it's pretty easy to see that the Ambulance driver used his ROW as if it's a force field and completely disregarded the safety of the other road users present at the time.

Just because they're trying to save a life, I believe they should not put others in danger.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Mitigating circusmtances na lang siguro yun ng jeepney driver para mabawasan penalty niya. Pero for sure yari siya.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in saying that initially, we all subconsciously ruled out the jeepney driver completely at fault due to prejudice after years of being annoyed by their habits and attitudes, plus the unnecessary traffic they cause.

And that even after taking a second look and realizing that a little foresight from the ambulance could have avoided the accident altogether (because who expects prudence and decent behavior from a jeepney driver?), still quite can't put some weight on the side of the jeepney.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in saying that initially, we all subconsciously ruled out the jeepney driver completely at fault due to prejudice after years of being annoyed by their habits and attitudes, plus the unnecessary traffic they cause.

And that even after taking a second look and realizing that a little foresight from the ambulance could have avoided the accident altogether (because who expects prudence and decent behavior from a jeepney driver?), still quite can't put some weight on the side of the jeepney.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    LTO issues license to drive, while both drivers intents are driving with a license to kill.

Jeepney drivers - sa halagang 8 pesos isinusugal ang buhay ng pasahero nya at buhay ng iba.

Ambulance driver - has a obligation to save lives, but not to the extent to risk lives of others while performing his duties.

- - - Updated - - -

LTO issues license to drive, while both drivers intents are driving with a license to kill.

Jeepney drivers - sa halagang 8 pesos isinusugal ang buhay ng pasahero nya at buhay ng iba.

Ambulance driver - has a obligation to save lives, but not to the extent to risk lives of others while performing his duties.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Most government ambulance drivers, such as the one in the video,also have very little training. They're the same guys who insist on using the hazard lamps in an emergency. Kuya, kahit naka sirena at emergency lights ka, you still have to signal your intention to turn. Apparently, hindi nila alam ito.
    Nagsalita na si Doc! Indeed, I feel terrible that my requests for holding a driver training seminar for the hospital have not come to fruitition yet. After this video, I'd like to hold it for the entire city.

Given that emergency vehicles have right of way, the fact that the light was green and the ambulance was not visible till it crossed only mitigates the Jeepney driver's culpability partially... doesn't remove it.
    Last edited by niky; January 10th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    ^Mali si ambulance... naghahanap buhay lang si jeepney driver kaya may karapatan siyang i-beat ang traffic signal at huwag pansinin ang emergency vehicle.

Seriously, the emergency vehicle has right-of-way. The ambulance driver should have just been a little more cautious before running through the intersection.

I don't know how to post FB vids either...
    i do agree on you hindi porket emergency ka na eh wala ka na paki alam sa paligid mo.

considering it's an intersection dapat manlang nag menor sya ng konti before mag proceed kasi di mo talaga alam what will going to happen.

remember the ferrari sa singapore intersection din yun and kahit anong bilis ng kotse isang iglap lang yan magugulat ka nalang

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Ambulance VS Jeepney - what is your take on this accident?