New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    The ambulance has the right of way, but he should've slowed down a bit while approaching the intersection. The jeepney driver meanwhile, was just simply following Philippine traffic rules as in yellow means go faster.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Stupid Ambulance driver. That guy should be sued for reckless imprudence. While it is correct that EMS vehicles have extraordinary right of way, I believe this can't possibly be absolute (I'll ask The lawyer later).

Knowing he's coming from the stopped portion of the intersection, he should have exercised diligence (and effin' common sense) that there's this possibility that the vehicle(s) in the green lighted lane would hit them.

The jeepney, being Public Enemy no.1 will probably be crucified but the fact remains that there's NO WAY he could have possibly seen the ambulance nor heard the ambulance. This is a good test for doppler shift calculations though.

I wonder if a Japanese (i.e. Toyota Grandia) / American brand (i.e. Ford E150) would also roll in that scenario. OF course, this is a china brand van so ridiculous failure is always expected.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    As much as I want to side with the ambulance, I couldn't. The jeepney driver was definitely gunning it but that's okay since the lights were green and the lights turned yellow when it was too late for him to make a full stop (knowing how weak their brakes are) and considering his speed baka mas devastating ang nangyari if he makes a full stop -- the passengers will go crazy about it, there could be a car at the back who was gunning it as well, and he might "overshoot" and be placed in an awkward position. It's understandable, really. I would say it was wrong if he crossed on a red light.. but nope, he didn't. He crossed on a "just-switched-to-yellow-light"

Though the ambulance has the right of way, least he could do is be cautious since he knew that he was crossing a RED light at speed and it isn't impossible to have a car cross the intersection where the jeepney came from.

If I were in the jeepney driver's shoes where my engine is probably louder than a crosswind at high speed, I might not hear the sirens from a distance where I could stop or slow down safely. Baka too late na rin nadinig ni jeepney driver.

*Horsepower: China van? Isn't that a Nissan Elgrand?
    Last edited by renzo_d10; January 9th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I did not write the manual on emergency driving. But the maneuver done by the ambulance is a commonly employed maneuver both here and in other countries.

The correct way to do it is (at least for the company I work for):
    1. Approach intersection with light and sirens
    2. Slow down
    3. Switch siren tone (usually from wail to yelp) or hit the air horn button. The change in siren tone breaks the monotony and should catch the attention of other road users. Sometimes we also speak over the public address system to request all vehicles to stop or let us proceed.
    4. When clear, proceed.
    5. Switch back to wail tone

Point is, when you hear sirens and you can't fix on where its coming from, it never hurts to slow down and reassess your surroundings. Manong jeepney driver was obviously not paying attention when he gunned it on a yellow light.

And as per report, the ambulance had a patient and was fully staffed at the time. No way to confirm this from my end.

However, motorists should also yield to an ambulance without a patient on board as a lot of us also respond to calls and without any established idea of the patient's conditions, we have to get there asap.

Most government ambulance drivers, such as the one in the video,also have very little training. They're the same guys who insist on using the hazard lamps in an emergency. Kuya, kahit naka sirena at emergency lights ka, you still have to signal your intention to turn. Apparently, hindi nila alam ito.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    It's a Nissan Elgrand

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    It's a Nissan Elgrand

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sa lakas magpatugtog ng stereo yang mga jeepney driver siguradong walang narinig yan na sirena ng ambulansiya. pag nag yellow light dun sila umaarangkada.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Naghahabol yata si manong puj driver ng pasahero sa next jeepney stop, which is usually a few meters after the intersection.

The ambulance was crossing the intersection as if there's no tomorrow.. putting too much confidence on his siren thereby neglecting even the basic safety rules.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    wow galing ng info from *otep!

but since hindi nag slow down si ambulance (baka hindi rin nag change ng siren tone), absuelto ba si jeepney?

- - - Updated - - -

but since hindi nag slow down si ambulance (baka hindi rin nag change ng siren tone), absuelto ba si jeepney?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    galing din ng reflex nung naka bike

though na singhot nya yung black smoke malamang

- - - Updated - - -

galing din ng reflex nung naka bike

though na singhot nya yung black smoke malamang

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dfopiso View Post

- - - Updated - - -

According to Atty. Robby of Top Gear Philippines, hindi po abswelto ang jeepney. The fact that the ambulance failed to slow down can only help to reduce the cost that the Jeepney driver and operator will pay. But still, the jeepney will be the one to pay damages.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Ambulance VS Jeepney - what is your take on this accident?