New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    I'm supposed to get my new 2012 elantra this Wednesday and I'm already planning for its upgrades. however, I'm pretty concerned about the warranty. This is my first brand new car and I want it to be as hassle free for as long as i can manage. I've had too many 2nd cars that keep breaking down on me and I want to avoid/reduce maintenance costs. I'm ok with taking it for PMS at the CASA though.

My question now is I still want to do upgrades to it - change the rims to 18", install a more decent sound setup, add fog lamps, etc. I'm not too concerned about the electricals, since the risk is small, but would upgrading my mags really have a great impact on the suspensions? How strong are the suspensions of the elantra anyway, or Korean cars for that matter?

My sisters husband have already upgraded their new Rio to 17" mags on its first week, and they weren't too concerned about it.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    My take:

SUSPENSION
    - Keep the stock rims/tires when you buy a new set of rims, para when you claim warranty for suspension, you slap on your stock rims kapag ibabalik mo sa CASA. Just make sure you use the right offset and don't have a rim/tire setup that will rub against your fender/fender liner when you go over bumps. Also, heavier rims/tire combination = worse FC.

ELECTRICAL
    - Keep the car stock for a few months to make sure there are no problems with the electricals. Usually either the electricals work or they don't. If you've proven that they work, then you can cautiously make upgrades.

- Horn: Get a relay for higher powered horns and make sure hindi nila babuyin yung existing wires mo. Badly wired electricals will come to bite you in the ass when the car gets older.

- Foglamps: I prefer OEM - because *USUALLY* may abang na wires/sockets for this even if your car doesn't come with them, so you won't need to splice any wires. Not sure about the Elantra in particular. This is important! Bad foglamp installs have resulted in burnt wires, dashboards catching fire, etc.

- Sounds: Most good installers give you the option of using OEM harnesses when you upgrade your sound system. This is so that they don't have to splice your existing wires and you can return your car to stock without the electrical 'scars' if you want/need to.

In my opinion - OEM and removable mods are the best.
    List of my suggested upgrades (in no particular order)
    1. Leatherette seat covers
    2. OEM Foglamps
    3. Upgrade bulbs to stock wattage, high output (like OSRAM Nightbreakers plus or Philips Xtreme Power) -- not HID. Para simple ang maintenance.
    4. Ducktail (if you want)
    5. Head unit upgrade w/ OEM harnesses (especially if you have the Elantra without the integrated Head Unit)
    6. Good quality tints (mainit ang panahon ngayon)
    7. Rims w/ proper offset and will fit in the wheel well without rubbing issues when you turn the wheel or run over a pothole. *Use good tires please*. Sayang yung magagandang rims kapag low quality tires naman gamit mo. I'm not a fan of sacrificing function over form.
    Last edited by mda; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:55 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    On my new car, I chose upgrades over warranty. The upgrades I've done are minimal as of now. But for sure, I've already voided some warranty parts by installing the said parts. I'm also planning on adding some modifications soon that will also void the car's warranty.

Thing is, I make sure that the work done is done best. I go to reputable shops and am very meticulous on how the installers do their job. I collect every screws they remove so they wont misplace any -- then just give it back to them when they'll reinstall it --

I want their jobs to be as clean as possible and as invisible to the naked eye as possible, that's why you wouldn't see dangling wires anywhere on my interior and rattling plastics since all of them are in place & intact.

Having a warranty is good, but that doesn't mean it should stop you from doing anything you like. It's your car after all. Do whatever you want that will make you happy.

For the rims, I'd suggest to keep the old set somewhere so if you'd claim suspension warranty you can slap the rims back on then let them do their job. Of course, if you have your fenders rolled... they'll notice since stock rims don't rub.

I don't know whether Hyundai's suspensions are weak but there are some models that experience suspension problems. But for the Elantra, I haven't heard of any.

18s are bouncy, and very dangerous since they can break easily when you hit a pothole HARD. So be extra careful slapping on one. FC will be affected, definitely but grip will also improve.

Usually whatever's changed will be the only ones whose warranty will be voided. For example, HU.. if you change them the warranty will not be honored if the cause of the problem is the new HU. But if it's something else, it should be honored. However, some CASAs find a way to blame you so they won't honor the warranty & you'll pay for the damage.

Bottomline, just be picky about the things you'll put. Good stuff comes at a price. Be watchful on how people will install the new parts. Let them do it good. And pick the shop well. Make sure they don't have, or have only little, negative feedback.

And pick your CASA. Don't patronize CASA who have poor after-sales service & will blame you for everything.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    i'm in the same scenario now. while keeping the stock HU on my 3mos old suv, i want to upgrade the stock front/rear speakers. additional installations would be an amplifier + deadening of the doors. will it void the whole electrical warranty of the car or just the sound system warranty? my wife asked the SA/casa and she said they will refer it to their electrical department...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Thanks to those who replied. For now, until maybe the next 6 months or so, Ill keep it full stock muna para safe. The mags I wanted was no longer available anyway. I may just have leather seat covers installed. But I have a better idea now on how to proceed with the upgrades. Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    i'm in the same scenario now. while keeping the stock HU on my 3mos old suv, i want to upgrade the stock front/rear speakers. additional installations would be an amplifier + deadening of the doors. will it void the whole electrical warranty of the car or just the sound system warranty? my wife asked the SA/casa and she said they will refer it to their electrical department...
    Dapat sound system warranty lang.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Dapat sound system warranty lang.
    thanks to your reply sir mda.

my wife got the reply from casa (citimotors-calasiao) that the whole electrical warranty will be voided if we install an additional amplifier rated 125W and above, dagdag daw kasi sa load ng battery yun. if ma-void lahat then i might as well upgrade the whole sound system.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Like what I said, if you bring your car to a reputable installer you shouldn't have any problems with regards to electrical unless your stock electrical system is defective in the first place -- which is unlikely.

Warranty or upgrades?