New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Can somebody please share their knowledge about VW Beetle history in the PHilippines? I'm really interested to know more about it, especially the 1300-S.

To save me some time, I copy-and-pasted this post from another thread:

Apparently, VW Beetles have had different versions, because I saw this thread in a VW forum (can't remember the URL) about this Australian guy who was amazed that the US had a different 1967 Beetle than they had in Australia.

I've been trying to google about this particular Beetle version, that apparently was only sold in the Philippines (and perhaps a few other countries, including it's country of origin) under the DMG-Pilipinas network. I remember it was called the "1300 S" and it looked exactly like my Dad's "1968 1500 Sedan", except for a few details unnoticable to the non-enthusiast's eye. (Like you guys, I was already an enthusiast at an early age).

The 1300S no longer had the "heat exchanger" like the later model Beetles that came from Brazil.

As far as I can recollect, the different VW Beetles I've seen sold here in the Phils were:

1. (Pre-68). Same front end as the 68 non-Super Beetles, but with the smaller "round" bumpers, smaller tailights, rounded lens headlamps, with the largest engine offering of a 1300. Color Availability: Deep Red/Sky Blue.

2. (1968-72). The first appearance of the 1500 sedan, had locking front seats, squarish bumpers, rounded lens headlamps, larger tailights (all-red, no backup light), hubcaps. New Feature: External Gas-Filler Door (no need to open the hood for refueling) Color Availability: Deep Red/Sky Blue.

3. (1972-?) Brazillian(?) 1500 Sedan. Same as German 1500 sedan except for flat lens headlamps, additional louvres on the engine cover, tri-color tailamps, backup light. New Feature: Hazard Warning Flasher Circuit. Color Availability: White/Beige/Yellow.

4. (1974-?). Super Beetle. 1600cc, different front-end and rear-end, McPherson strut front suspension, large round tailights, additional cooling louvres on the engine cover. Color Availability: White/Beige/Yellow.

5. (1976-?) Updated 1300 sedan. Same front end as 68 and 72 1500, but had flat-lens headlamps, large round tailights, and extra louvres on engine cover (like 72 1500 sedan), NO external gas-filler door. New feature: Low-intensity "parking light mode" headlamps. Color Availability: White only.

6. (1978-?) 1300-S. Same mechanicals as the 76 1300 (w/c was also still in production at this time), but body was similar to '68 1500 sedan--i.e., no extra louvres on engine cover and regular-sized tailamps (tri-colored, like the '72 1500 sedan), but flat-lens headlamps. Color Availability: White only.

Somehow, the 1300-S must have been in limited production because they seem to be rare, not like the '76 1300 with the large round tailights.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Bump ko lang, baka may Beetle enthusiast dumaan muli...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadetree MKNX View Post
    Bump ko lang, baka may Beetle enthusiast dumaan muli...
    Hi!

I would recommend you check out the site of Cavite VW Club... pero matagal na itong hindi na update. but I think they have a list of their officers... One guy who knows a lot on the history of VWs in the Philippines is Luwie Bautista...

another from QC - Marikina - Mr. willy Bayer, he is from VWCPI

http://cvwci.bravehost.com

We had a few 1300s in the club. In Imus there was one in mint condition - all original - but I think it was sold already.

Best of luck!

VW Beetle History in RP