New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    i also think that fraternities also play a role in the corruption of our country... i mean,, the line brad ko yun pwedi mo e daan dun.. or wag mo ireport brad ko yun.... what im trying to say will probably get people mad.. but i see it in college level and high school level even.. so what more in the goverment level where money and power is involved....there can be positives of fraternities..but isnt taking advantage of others one of the main issues that highlights fraternities?just asking.....

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    i also think that fraternities also play a role in the corruption of our country... i mean,, the line brad ko yun pwedi mo e daan dun.. or wag mo ireport brad ko yun.... what im trying to say will probably get people mad.. but i see it in college level and high school level even.. so what more in the goverment level where money and power is involved....there can be positives of fraternities..but isnt taking advantage of others one of the main issues that highlights fraternities?just asking.....

ha???say that again?
    OT: marcos and ninoy (afaik) came from the same frat but they never did what you are trying to point.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    this is my opinion.. and i know i could be wrong.. but are you totally disagreeing to what im trying to say?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Manila Standard 9-13-2007

Shield vs imported used cars sought Local car makers have urged the government to strictly enforce the laws on importation of vehicles, particularly on used cars with the impending Senate ratification of the highly controversial Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement.
    Elizabeth Lee, president of the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines Inc., said the government must guarantee that the partnership agreement would not be detrimental to the local motor industry and would not invite an open dumping of used vehicles in the country.
    “We are not at all against the ratification of JPEPA. Certainly, what we need is an assurance from the Philippine government that our industry will be fully protected once the treaty takes into force. Now the question is, will the automotive industry close shop because of JPEPA, the answer is no,” said Lee at a roundtable discussion on the implications of JPEPA in Dusit Hotel organized by the Universal Access to Competitiveness and Trade, a private-led advocacy group.
    She cited the provisions of Executive Order 156, which provided for a comprehensive industry policy and directions for the motor vehicle development program and its implementing guidelines, but had not been fully enforced.
    Rommel Gutierez, assistant vice president of Toyota Motor Philippines Corp., raised concern that the agreement might be used by some importers to bring in used vehicles.
    “We just want to make sure that this EO 256 will be respected and will not be used as a venue for Subic importers to continue their importation of used vehicles. We would like to get more assurance from the government with respect to EO 156,” Gutierez said.
    Lee said despite the stiff competition in the local and global market, the automotive industry had gained ground and made inroads since 2004. The industry has 100,000 formal markets and enlisted some 200,000 new registrants.
    “But it’s never too late for our local industry. That is why I am very positive that if we do national marketing program and strictly implement the regulation against the importation of used vehicles, then it is never impossible for the Philippines to be at par with other automotive industries in the world,” Lee said.
    JPEPA was deemed as the most comprehensive bilateral economic agreement that the country has entered into since the Philippine-US Parity Agreement of 1946. It combines a bilateral investment treaty and a bilateral free trade agreement on goods (manufacturing, agriculture and fisheries) and services.
    It also has provisions on intellectual property rights, movement of natural persons, mutual recognition and bilateral cooperation.
    The Fair Trade Alliance, meanwhile, said the 1,000-page partnership text showed imbalances, which need to be corrected.
    The Philippines, for instance, had committed to liberalize 98 percent of its product lines upon enforcement of the agreement, while Japan would only eliminate tariffs on 90 percent of its total tariff lines, it said.
    Rep. Lorenzo Tañada III (4th District, Quezon) urged the Senate to take cognizance of the concerns of various sectors. Elaine Ruzul S. Ramos

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT

jpdm, you should put your post in quote - matetechnical ka sa Tcash ruling

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the people making our laws made it with too many loopholes. Yung mga subic na kotse, the law states na yung mga RHD brought into subic will be converted to LHD but should be reexported. What the law allows for converted LHD to be sold locally is trucks, not cars. Unfortunately, our government agencies are too independent of each other, they hardly coordinate. Thus, enterprising individuals have made arrangements with LTO, police, customs, etc., for their individual (personal in effect) requirements. After their lust is satisfied, you switch on the ignition and away you go. Then some enterprising police later on will stop your car and demand you prove that you paid the right taxes. You are guilty until proven innocent! Baliktad na!

Why people still buy? Because it is cheap! And they believe that if it is registered by the LTO, then the records must be straight or else how did it get registered?? But the reality is that records are far from straight. Majority of these car's registration are downright crooked. And why people still import and sell? Because there is money to be made. The system has become too complicated, and entrenched.

What the government should do is not to allow any exemptions. No cars that are not identified as a locally assembled vehicle should be allowed to be registered and renewed. No importations of such luxury cars should be allowed, even if they are willing to pay the proper taxes. This will keep things simple. If your car looks imported, not local, then that car is not legal. Period.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Just a thought, why not declare that owning such vehicles as illegal? Or, if LTO has the balls, decline registration of vehicles with questionable origins? I think everyone knows the difference between a local/legal and the smuggled cars.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    i definitely agree.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hay ang rami mayayaman na offical ng goverment dito sa Pinas. Pero ang bansa natin mahirap pa rin. Sino ba kasi nagstart yun subic free port na yan. Si former Prs. Ramos d ba? At saan na si Ramos ngayon? Mas mayaman pa yata sya sa former US president Clinton.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    so saan nga ba galing ang yaman ng mga iyan? isep isep....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
uncontrolled vehicle smuggling