The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon View Post
    DMF Motorsports!
    Haha... pero Nissan lover yata siya...

Pati mga Trueno bodies, sinasalpakan niya ng Nissan SR20 engines... :evil:

Nagtanong na ako sa kanya kung magkano... hehehe... wala akong balak, promise!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    sorry mga sirs!! I'll prohibit myself from using sms style of words..

mga sir totoo po kaya un?? ung 240bhp?? di ba pang stock na grp A engine un?? if so, what could be the realistic power and max engine speed of an 4AGE 20V engine?? pwede kayang mag 9500 rpm max nun??...
    How much would a AE86 Trueno GT apex would cost now?? may mkikita po kaya ako na tuned na Hachiroku?? kasi if every thing goes smoothly it will be my project next year!!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Orido View Post
    sorry mga sirs!! I'll prohibit myself from using sms style of words..

mga sir totoo po kaya un?? ung 240bhp?? di ba pang stock na grp A engine un?? if so, what could be the realistic power and max engine speed of an 4AGE 20V engine?? pwede kayang mag 9500 rpm max nun??...
    How much would a AE86 Trueno GT apex would cost now?? may mkikita po kaya ako na tuned na Hachiroku?? kasi if every thing goes smoothly it will be my project next year!!
    Realistic naman. 4AGEs are used in road racing, and I've seen some set-ups with about that much power.

But as a road engine... I don't know... it might be too extreme for road use... engines that highly tuned don't often idle well, and they drink gas like crazy.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flagg View Post
    Noong drag racing way back when... (wala pang building sa Ortigas Center... ahihi... ) may Lancer box-type, SL ang tatak, puro masilya... only 3 mods:

13" Compomotives
    1.8 GSR engine
    2-shot NOS... yahoo!

Meron din owner-type todo strip-down, tub lang & 1 racing seat (Kahit hood, wala)... 3T engine... panalo! :dude:
    ahehe.. di kaya sa mga pinsan ko yan? greenhills tambayan namin nun eh

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    oh??!! 240 is a realistic number??.. so 9.5K to 10K rpms are also do able??... if this project will push through it will be my weekend stress reliever! and I may have to sell my car for this...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Orido View Post
    oh??!! 240 is a realistic number??.. so 9.5K to 10K rpms are also do able??... if this project will push through it will be my weekend stress reliever! and I may have to sell my car for this...
    What I mean is: It's possible to have a 4AGE at 240 hp. Sorry, I took so long to answer, I had to look it up as I'd forgotten the race series... the 4AG with that much power is the one used in the Formula Atlantic series... where it is used in open-wheeled racecars.

But it's not a streetable engine. That $699 engine you saw may be a secondhand race engine, BUT:

It'll be hard to install... almost all the auxilliaries are different and you'll have to customize a lot.

You won't get the full 240 hp. See those long intake trumpets and extended exhaust? When you chuck those for not fitting underneath the hood of the AE86, you lose some of the Formula Atlantic's power.

It won't be streetable. Meaning, it'll rev badly (you'll have to set idle at 2000 rpm or so), it'll probably buck and bang at low revs if you don't give it full throttle, and you won't pass emissions testing. And your fuel economy will suck.

And, best of all. It'll be expensive to buy and maintain. Brand new ones cost about 18,000 dollars.

It's much more realistic to buy a 20V or a 4AGZE and tune up from there. With a well-built and modified 20V, you can get maybe 175-180 hp. With the 4AGZE, maybe 200+, but you'll need to modify the engine internals, too. Not quite as much, but more realistic, unless you're a millionaire.

But if you do have a lot to spend, and fancy having around 300 hp or so under the hood, go for DMF's SR20DET conversion... the SR20DET gives you about 200-250 hp as base (but the 250 hp versions might be expensive), and it can be tuned for up to 500 hp (tons of money), or 300 hp (just lots of money, but at least you can do this on the stock internals). This'll be cheaper than finding, buying and maintaining a Formula Atlantic engine. You can tune a 4AG for this much power, but it'll be harder to do.
    Last edited by niky; December 10th, 2006 at 12:02 AM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ADDENDUM:

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~stompyz/changes.htm

Here's a list of changes needed to fit the Formula Atlantic engine in an AE86.

Remember, though, that minimum price for a used running engine, is about 9000 dollars. It's still 18000 for a new one. What you saw was probably just a regular 4AG with some FA parts... no way is anyone going to sell that low.

And if you want those parts... here are the *gulp* prices...

http://www.toysport.com/New%20Products/Atlantic.htm

5000 dollars for a crankshaft... ouch... a full, branded turbo kit costs less...

[size=1]By the way, thanks... this was interesting research.[/size]

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    thanks sir niky!! all of the information that you have researched are very helpful po!! I dont think I can afford that.. pero I'll still go with N/A tune am not a big fan of turbos eh!! tyka the sound of an Hachiroku going full blast at 9K rpms are sweeter than the turbos!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Tuner Ideas Needed