New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    Thanks. So when I am going to pass through flood, I will do a full stop first then shift to M? After passing the flood, I can shift direct to D?

Yes, better to make a full stop and think twice if you're going to proceed. You can directly shift to D from Manual mode (M) regardless of the car's speed.

What is the purpose of the + and - pala?

Like what was posted, to shift to a higher gear use + and to shift to a lower gear use -. Do not worry using this feature, if the ECU of the car detects that your speed is to low for the gear you are trying to shift to, it will simply not allow it to shift. On the other hand if the ECU detects that your gear is to high for the current speed you are in and you fail to down shift using the - the on board sensor will kick down the gear for you automatically.
    I suggest playing around with this feature you have on your car to get yourself more familiar with it. It's fun to have this kind of feature.

I don't know if I am being paranoid pero parang iba na takbo ng auto ko I know that a civic and city easily passed through the flood in Buendia but what I am worried about e baka nagshift yung auto while I drove through the flood on D It's gutter to a little over gutter deep kasi may dip yung road.

Same question as 3GEMS, what needs to be checked after driving a flooded road?
    Besides looking for any icon that just suddenly lights on the instrument panel. Pull over on a safe side on the road and check the ff: Raise the oil dip stick and see if you can find droplets of water on it or if the oil level is unusually very hiigh, it will be obvious since water and oil don't mix. Open the engine air filter box and pull out the air filter, check if it is wet. If you find water on those mentioned, then don't bother starting the engine, have your car towed to the nearest mechanic.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The most important for me are the bearings, caliper of brakes... Basta pangilalim.

Oil and fluids are not much of a concern unless you crossed hood deep waters... Then again, I'll check the ecu and other electronics first.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by markygy View Post
    Besides looking for any icon that just suddenly lights on the instrument panel. Pull over on a safe side on the road and check the ff: Raise the oil dip stick and see if you can find droplets of water on it or if the oil level is unusually very hiigh, it will be obvious since water and oil don't mix. Open the engine air filter box and pull out the air filter, check if it is wet. If you find water on those mentioned, then don't bother starting the engine, have your car towed to the nearest mechanic.

More evident is the color of the engine oil. Kung Mukhang milo na, well yun na yun. Hehe

Oil level is not accurate because umiikot oil sa makina.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Thanks. So when I am going to pass through flood, I will do a full stop first then shift to M? After passing the flood, I can shift direct to D?

What is the purpose of the + and - pala?
    You dont have to stop when changing to M fr. D
    + is to shift to higher gear and - to downshift

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by markygy View Post
    water and oil don't mix.
    Oil and water do mix by imulsification.

Water ingress to engine seldom happens not unless the entry is in your air intake, but at considerable amount of water ingested would result to an airlock.

Checking breather tubes(axle, trans, transfer) would be more concerning as these vents usually are placed in confined spot. Damage due to water ingress on these parts would be almost hard to notice untill the day weird noises are heard, and by that time its too late.. These breathers are usually located just below headlight level.

Basing water fording capability on air intake alone is risky. Most cars nowadays tho at hood level intake have resonators as low as the radiator and these resonetors are not totally sealed.. Pickups and most SUV's do get the advantage because of air intake inside fenders, plus there are lots of aftermarket snorkels to further raise the intake.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I got this from ANC. This is gutter deep floods diba? Vios should not have any problems after crossing that?

It's only now that I realised that the muffler gets submerged in water at gutter deep flooding.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    I got this from ANC. This is gutter deep floods diba? Vios should not have any problems after crossing that?

It's only now that I realised that the muffler gets submerged in water at gutter deep flooding.

]
    Unless your driving a higher vehicle
    the exhaust will not be submerged

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Survival Guide: Driving Through Floods 101