New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    GSR or hatch na stock... nah.

Hatchback with a B18A, full race suspension and sticky tires... ...hehehe...
    pati yung mga sir/rolla/evo na ginagamit sa racing/motor"sports" dito considered sportscars na din ba?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Traditionally, sports cars are usually 2-seater RWD cars without the excess weight and extra luxury items. It must also have excellent handling.

Some modern high-performance coupes and sedans are sometimes considered sportscars by some people, because with today's technology you can have a 4-door sedan that can match or at least almost match the handling of a traditonal sportcar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ec55effcNw

For me these are modern examples of real "pure" sportscars...
    911 GT3

Lotus Exige S

BMW Z4 M coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines
    Must have at least 200bhp and not necessarily a top-down.
    For me, better power to weight ratio is probably more important than just the hp numbers.
    A Lotus Elise for example with a 189hp 1.8 liter engine can outperform a Mercedes SLK280 with 228hp, because of its better power to weight ratio making it more agile.

Mercedes SLK280
    max power: 228hp
    curb weight: 3255 lbs (1476.5 kg)
    Power to weight: 154.4 hp per tonne

Lotus Elise
    max power: 189hp
    curb weight: 1965 lbs (891.3 kg)
    Power to weight: 212.05 hp per tonne

Of course other than this, chassis engineering and suspension tuning comes in...
    Last edited by AG4; July 17th, 2007 at 02:56 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    dina man nescessary na 2dr
    pwede na sa akin ang
    a) hyundai tiburon
    b) peugot 407 coupe

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    1. honda S2000
    2. mercedez benz slk (any variant will do).

mahilig ako sa roadster pati convertible na sportscar.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    My definition is:

RWD
    Sport suspension - i.e. stiffer for handling, as opposed to softer for comfort

2 door is not necessary. I'd take the old E36 M3 Sedan or M5 for practicality. But my ultimate is of course the 911.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, the classic definition doesn't require RWD. Just two doors, one or two seats and lightness... and the fact that it's made for racing.

The Honda Integra Type R and the Lotus Elan (the 80's version) are amongst the sharpest cornering sports cars ever built. And they're front wheel drive.

I've always wanted to try my car against the Integra, personally. I think it might be close.

pati yung mga sir/rolla/evo na ginagamit sa racing/motor"sports" dito considered sportscars na din ba?
    Tama! One seater, lightweight, made for racing...

Like I've said... considering the classic definition, very few modern cars actually count as sports cars in the classic sense.

The only ones that come close are the Lotus Exige and the Porsche 911 GT3RS. The BMW Z4 isn't built for racing. Neither is the Nissan 350Z.

Which is why I say: to heck with definitions. If it's fast, handles well, and drives nicely... that's good enough for me.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Personally, if you set it up for racing, it's a race car, especially if it's no longer streetable.

If you can still drive it on the streets, but tuned for "sporty" handling, then it can be a sports car. RWD is my personal preference just for the fun of it.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Traditionally, the "true" sportscars are lightweight... this also explains why most of them are 2 seaters with 2-doors.

Last edited by AG4; July 18th, 2007 at 04:34 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sports Cars?