New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    [SIZE="4"]SINAG[/SIZE], the country’s first solar-powered car was
    developed by De La Salle University engineering students.

It will compete in the 3,000-kilometer 20th
    World Solar Challenge in Darwin, Australia in October 21-28, 2007.
    CONGRATULATIONS and GODSPEED!

You / 2bu
    [SIZE="4"]Driven youth[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]By Mark Christian Parlade
    Inquirer / Posted date: August 01, 2007
    [/SIZE]

MANILA, Philippines—It is said that the world belongs to the youth who will someday inherit the earth. But with today’s headlines screaming disastrous global climate change, can the young be blamed for their impatience, for taking into their own hands the cause of the environment, and for demanding a more viable alternative energy source?

A group of mechanical engineering students of De La Salle University can wait no longer. With the help of their mentors and the country’s biggest corporations, they are developing the Philippines’ first solar car which will compete in the World Solar Challenge in Australia, this October.

They’re not even joining the contest to win. They are just out to prove that the Philippines can stand shoulder to shoulder with other progressive nations in developing solar power as an environmentally safe alternative energy source.

Appropriately enough, they have named the car Sinag, evocative of the bright new day that will come when alternative energy is fully realized. Mostly junior and senior students, they have worked day and night for the past year to put the solar car together from scratch.

The students were divided into various groups to oversee the assembly of the solar car’s critical parts: the mechanical, electrical, and shell teams.

The mechanical team handles the design and fabrication of all mechanical components like steering, brakes, suspension and weight balancing.

Electrical components, instrumentations and race strategy are the concerns of the electrical team.

Meanwhile, the shell team is in charge of designing and assembling the car’s aerodynamic shell.

While they major in mechanical engineering, the students said nothing really prepared them for the challenge. “We had to read about car assembly from the Internet and books,” said Jose Martin Lucas Sy-Quia, leader of the shell Team.

Before Sinag, the bespectacled 21-year-old loved to cook, swim and read. “We’ve focused on this challenge for now. Everything else except for our studies takes a backseat.”

Robert Obiles leads the electrical Team, where his penchant for computers, surfing the Internet and playing strategy games serves him and his teammates well.

“We’ve done so much research on schematics and assembly. It’s difficult enough to build a car. Much more, a solar car!” said Mico Villena, 20, leader of the mechanical team. “But in the end, we hope all the hours studying and sacrificing for this endeavor will be worth it.”

Under professor Rene Fernandez, the team has been diligently putting together Sinag’s composite body made out of carbon fiber and Nomex honeycomb core structure which will make it ultra-strong and light.
    At only 150 kg, the car is capable of reaching a maximum speed of 100 kph. Six sq. m. of the car’s top surface is covered with terrestrial grade silicon solar cells from manufacturer, Sunpower, that collect energy from the sun and convert it into electrical power.

Corporate sponsors of the car are Ford Group Philippines, Motolite, Philippine Airlines, San Miguel Corporation, Shell, Sunpower, and Ventus.

The project is also supported by Aurora, Cabrera Lavadia and Associates, J. Walter Thompson, Creasia, Merritt Partners, Tuason Training School, Gochermann Solar Technology, and Stratworks.

Post info and your comments related to Sinag on this thread.
    Last edited by dprox; September 2nd, 2007 at 04:21 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    This is nice, I saw the solar car yesterday along edsa near mall of asia while it was on a flat bed tow truck, it was interesting to see this, too bad I couldnt take a picture because my camera phone wouldnt focus..

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    We're all proud of Sinag and the people who made it possible.

Go Pilipinas!

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Wow... I hope it will finish the 3000 km race. More power! I hope you're reading our thread as well. :wink:
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    From Inquirer, August 08, 2007 ~

The 2007 World Solar Challenge website reveals another entry in the Adventure category listed as "Japan/Philippines" under the name Salesian Polytechnic Solar Car Team. As of this posting, however, the involvement of another Philippine team in this project has not been verified.

Does anybody have info on the "Salesian Polytechnic Solar Car Team"?
    Last edited by dprox; September 2nd, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    From Inquirer, August 08, 2007 ~

The 2007 World Solar Challenge website reveals another entry in the Adventure category listed as "Japan/Philippines" under the name Salesian Polytechnic Solar Car Team. As of this posting, however, the involvement of another Philippine team in this project has not been verified.

Does anybody have info on the "Salesian Polytechnic Solar Car Team"?
    Eto po sir DPROX o, The name Salesian University Institutions stands for all the study centres like the colleges, or centres for higher studies that are guided and administrated by the Salesian Congregation (the Salesians of St. John Bosco) around the world: 30 centres present in 18 American, Asian and European countries. IUS does not include all the other university academic salesian centres that are specifically meant for the ecclesiastical formation (philosophy and theology) of the members of the Salesian Congregation. Afaik, Don Bosco is part of this.

http://www.donbosco.net/iusasia/index.htm
    Last edited by drey; September 2nd, 2007 at 10:43 PM.
    iam3739.com

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Godspeed, i pray that they win!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Congratulations to De La Salle University. Well done, hoping for more success. This is a good demonstration of practical use of environmentally friendly and unlimited energy - power of the sun...
    Godspeed team Philippines!

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    the parts, and raw materials in making the vehicle are they locally manufactured? (solar pannel, carbon fiber, engine, wheel, etc)

is it available in the market here?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i think only the engine and solar panels are imported other else dito lang ginawa. my former classmate (now a professor at dlsu) is working on the project, after ku magswim sa lasal i always drop by sa shop, i got to see how sinag started out till when it was ready to drive

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
"Sinag" Filipino Solar Car