New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    does anyone have a pic of a car with this setup? i cannot imagine what this looks like, but i'm sure it looks ridiculous

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Karding
    hindi pa ba nakakarating sa mga wannabe jan yung CANARDS? Baka sooner or later a 107hp Civic would have this, bwahahaha.

well...just my opinion..hehe.
    what's a CANARD?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    karding,
    wow CANARDS? dito sa pinas?! the only place here you could do 200kph+ runs is star tollway in batangas... i agree, sana hindi na mauso yan dito. i hope they just leave it to those insane japanese highway racers and the germans :D maybe if i see these on an evo or a tricked out sylvia/skyline, hmmm pwede...

m54,
    just imagine a civic sedan with the front wheels so low that the tires are almost tucked inside the fender... tapos at the rear it is lifted to a point where you could fit in a shoebox... something like that.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naalala mo yung create-a-ride flash program? pwede mo gawin yung ganon setup don

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ako din meron nakita na ganyan set up, white GSR na merong nakalagay na "AA.Corpuz" doon sa window ng drivers side.

nahihilo ko panooring yung driver kasi parang lagi mahuhulog sa upuan.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by ssaloon
    what's a CANARD?
    C-West CF Canard:

kita mo yang black thing looking like a spoiler?

dunno what speeds they begin to work at, but canards do work for race cars. IIRC the mercedes CLK-GTR cars were having problems with the air getting under the car and flipping them. They installed canards on the sides and that seemed to fix the problem. as for use on GC/GDs, i have no clue other than extra downforce.

Their extensivelyl used on JGTC cars and do help in downforce and aerodynamics but like you said, you have to be going pretty fast for it to start working. I just know you'll be seeing this on stock Civics with just altezza's, canards, and steel wheels.

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gal...21gallery.htm#

http://www.jgtc.net/race/gallery/gal..._ph/021_49.jpg

this pic is too big, click mo na lang.
    http://www.xlconcepts.com/images/cre...s/DSC00380.JPG

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I found this one interesting/contradicting to what a CANARD should be and how/when it SHOULD work:

Canards are a pretty crude way of generating downforce at the front compared to a wing, for example. The reason that they're near the wheels is because you can use the low pressure generated behind the canard to help suck the air out of the wheel well in front of the tire near the road. The front of the tire near the road is a high pressure region because the air is hitting is and the rotation of the tire squeezes the air into the road. So, low pressure sucking that out will reduce the high pressure zone and therefore the drag (and lift). Plus the fact that there is high pressure there reduces the drag from the canard (or dive plane) itself although it does reduce the downforce somewhat.

Anyway, there are a bunch of different configurations that you can come up with for different tracks and cars depending on whether or not you have a splitter, duct exits, etc. near the front corners. One thing ... with anything that creates downforce, it'll create drag as well and slow you down on anything except for a curve.

They're actually more suited to low speed than high speed. In general they make too much drag for high speed use, but that depends a lot on the design. The most important thing is the angle and the curvature (camber). The higher the angle and curvature, the better the performance at low speed. If you want to get an idea of the forces involved, hold a small book out of the window. It's probably worth at least 20 lbs. at 60mph.

Anyway, real ones for race cars are made from carbon with a honeycomb core and are held on with screws to something solid and usually have a support strap or something to hold them up. Even so, they snap off pretty easily.

-Steve

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ...yup, i believe mercedes started that when their CLK-GTR flipped in mid air on a long stretch at 24hrs. of le mans. kala ko sa F1 speed boats nangyayari lang yung mga mid air flips na yan.

...i wouldn't be surprised though kung makarating dito yan at maging fad yang extreme mod na yan. imagine, nakasubsob na yung oto tapos may canards pa.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    may mga cheapo body kits na may ganyang designs na dito diba? parang fins sa chin yung itsura

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....la pako nakikita dito. ang nakita ko pa lang na ay isang civic na naka M3 style fenders.

....saw another subsob car (yep, a civic). at least madali linisin rear wheel well niya.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
.....raised rear end?