New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    We just came from Baguio during the 3 day weekend...drove our new 2011 Accent. On the way back to Manila, i even checked my Tires at La Union Shell Station and went straight to Manila with only few minutes stopover to buy something by the road..

Everything was smooth, drove max 100-120 kph at SCTEX on a Dark and Rainy evening but slowing down when theres cars ahead and overpass (baka ma-radar...hehe)

Drove fast also sa NLEX since surprisingly, no traffic even on a 3 day weekend. Slowdown lang sa paying toll..

Anyway, we reached QC and we went to a resto for dinner.. few minutes later, guard called me to say flat ako..

I checked and flat nga.. (REAR DRIVER SIDE) he offered to call a vulcanizing shop but i didnt want to bec,
    a) It was already late at night and
    b) Our trunk is full of luggage and stuff to get the spare tire and c) that was in Banawe and I have a new car so syempre iwas...

Thankfully I have a compressor/vacuum cleaner. SO I used it to pump air as much as it can.. umanggat naman but not completely... then i can hear and FEEL the air escaping .. malakas ang sirit so i knew its not a nail that got stuck.

Our house is maybe 10-15 mins away, so I drove away, checking the tire every stoplight, I stopped twice on well lighted areas to reinflate, then finally reached a gas station... pinahangin ko (it was only 8 pressure.. so i guess thats the max my compressor can do bec its so heavy) Maxed it at 35 then drove the rest of th way home ok naman.

Once in my garage I jacked up the wheel para di sumadsad... and went to vulcanize it the next day)

While having the tire Vulcanized with my suking vulcanizing shop, kwentuhan kami ng owner speculating what and where it happened...

Even wondered if sa may resto na nangyari yun, or pwede din daw i ran over something in the highway.. one thing he said was be careful sa mga reflectors, sometimes they are damaged and have jagged edge. Baka pwede din dun... finally the worker took outr my tire and saw the problem..... are you ready for this...

THERE WERE BROKEN PIECES OF AN ANTENNA INSIDE the TIRE!

Its a car antenna, the whole damned thing got INSIDE the tire and got broken into 4 pieces while swirling around my rims! Sonova!!

Must have ran over it and it pierced my tire and the whole thing just went inside.

Good thing no damage sa rims naman... tire has signs of worn out from running flat pero pwede pa naman daw, but they suggest I use it as spare , so we took out the spare to use on the rear tire instead...

I guess im still lucky and it could have been worse...

Here's my questions thats bothering/puzzling me...

1) Where kaya nangyari yun?

2) I DID NOT feel or did not notice i was running flat, even running at 100-120 kph.. di ba dapat mapapansin na yun?

3) Di ba dapat running flat for long distance would also have more damage on the tire?

4) Is it possible that at high speeds the tire would not have "time" to let air out? But then I had few stops.. sa tollbooths, traffic light...

5) Maybe it happened when i was already in QC/Manila?

6) Is it dangerous to run on running flat? At high speeds? Ma aaksidente ba? Puputok ba ang gulong? Or mapupudpod lang and rims mo?

I know speculating is useless, important thing is we arrived safe and it was ok, pero still wondering... also for future reference..

Pero masasabi ko lang ok din yung portable compressor/vacuum ko... it was only 1,000 pesos from Ace Hardware pero lifesaver. Naisip ko if naflat ka sa dark or rainy road, u can use it as temporary solution till you get to a safer area to change your tire...

wala lang.. just wanted to share and get your thoughts...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    baka sa highway nangyari yan but we'll never know for sure. if the tire is tubeless, hindi naman sisingaw ng malakas lalo kung mabilis takbo mo until you stop the car. same thing happaned to me last year when we went to subic. sa slex gasoline station ko na napansin na flat pala ako. sinabi lang ng guard pag labas namin ng resto. pinahanginan ko lang dun then we went home. and guess what nung pina vulcanize ko, it was a house key nung binunot.. sana may extra key yung mayari... hehehe. where ako naflatan? we'll never know...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    sa akin sa SLEX running at 100-120kph... kaya pala kumakabig eh flat pala yung gulong ko sa likod.

Nung pinavulcanize ko... hindi na daw pwede kasi oblong na saka may cut sa gilid nang gulong.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mahina lang yun singaw niyang since tumatakbo pa eh hinde kaagad ma flat, yun naka park ka saka na sumigaw talaga.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    malamang sa QC nangyari kasi buo pa yung tire

kapag sa hi-way, high speed running flat, masisira na yung tire like clavel experienced ... besides, with a dead flat at high speed, the noise will be noticeable

Question on Running Flat