New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    e yun ngang khaos stc wala kahit isang bad review either from print and tv! what do you expect from paid mercenaries, they'll say and print what the manufacturers/dealers tell them to say and print. those people are nothing but advertising copy writers masquerading as journalists.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    We might be in for a surprise: I fear that many of our so called motoring journalist might have either little knowledge on automotives as I do or maybe even less than what I know.

Yikes!

I'm just curious on how the editors-in-cheif of these dailies pic their reporters for, say, automotive or technology. Do they just randomly pic from one of the cub reporters (AFAIK this happens a lot in the journalism world) with the understanding that they should learn as they progress, or do they check the background of reporters to identify if they even know the difference between a crankshaft and a valve-train.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    isa lang nasa isip...sayang ang free drives, free lunch/dinner, free trips etc. oh and sayang ang advertising income from the car manufacturers

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's some of the text messages that they got from the class / crap article:

Don’t compare yourself with others. Just go on writing the way you write — simple, honest, relevant, to the point and hard hitting (at times). — Cris Lara

How to improve? Simple enough. I’ve never seen a failing grade for a car evaluated by motoring journalist in the Philippines. — 09206221103

Be as professional as you can be. Keep your pride. We have our own class as Filipinos. Keep it up and keep your heads up! — Ian, Cavite

What that grammatically challenged chap probably meant was that very few local motoring journalists give unbiased, non-car company junket tainted car reviews. — 09178888800

No need to emulate the Americans or the Europeans. We have a different culture and different motoring needs. In my opinion the local motoring press is doing a fine job. — 09194117916

Regarding Mr. Magsajo’s column, that person probably meant that you guys do an independent technical evaluation of vehicles featured and not sound like you’re just reading specs off a handout. Thanks. — 09196776327

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Somebody makes a valid criticism about motoring journalists here in the Philippines, and the columnist attacks his/her grammar or writing style, and dishes out a crash-course on proper syntax...a typical response of a guilty person.

But have you actually read a no-nonsense, unbiased review recently? Especially if the car is manufactured by a major manufacturer. I remember that I always used to laugh (and cringe) during the Q&A portion of Auto Focus, when they invite motoring journalists as hosts. It was apparent that certain hosts are mere talking heads, couldn't even speak English properly, yet pronounce certain words with a twang. And they always ended their spiel with "I hope that answers your question. Thanks for writing." Yuck!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    that's why i don't read local reviews. and i don't approve of them. once a so-called "motoring" columnists starts talking about the good points of a new car model, i read the other stuff.

i mean, how many times will an individual change cars, much less buy a new one? once? twice? if they are really rich, thrice? so i think there is not much use for automotive reviews.

what motoring journalists should be writing about are issues concerning motoring like road safety, government policies affecting, what local government shld do abt our crappy roads, etc.

halatang-halata na agenda ng mga motorcing journalists natin.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here is a typical U.S. review of the Kia Sorento V6. It highlights the good and the bad points [plus second opinions from other staffers via the 'counterpoint' segment] of the product being reviewed. It doesn't seem like bashing to be, I don't find any crass in it. I wish local reviews were more like this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...orento-ex.html

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    sir OTEP,

one of the most reliable source talaga ang Car and Driver.... their comparison test is one of the best IMO. avid reader since 93 pa ako ng C/D. too bad hirap na makahanap ng copy ngayun sa mag stores dito. kaya sa net na lang ako tingin.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I've never missed an issue of C/D since '92. That's also our reference material of choice when looking reviews for prospective pre-owned vehicles. May archive dito sa bahay. But the oldest issue I have is an '85, I think.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    wow!!! 1985 pa, mas matanda pa sa aken!!!

ako December 1993 ang oldest issue ko... Mustang GT Vs Camaro Z28 on the cover.

madame na rin ako nabibiling iba...pero iba ang C/D eh...

they are not afraid in rating cars sa comparisons. sayang namatayan sila ng magaling na tester si Don Schroeder.... since then yung mga topspeed nimbers nila, usually estimates na lang.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
PhilStar's Class over Crass