New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    STAR picks 2008

By Manny N. De Los Reyes, James Deakin, Lester Dizon, Andy Leuterio and Dong Magsajo Updated December 31, 2008

It’s that time of year again. On the last Wednesday of every year, we the Business Motoring Section staff, come up with our respective lists of the best releases of the year. We keep it down to 10 choices each, just to make the list manageable, then compile them all in one huge article. The process is simple. Each picks his 10 favorites – without restrictions (i.e. – pricing, specifications, etc.). We then justify our choices in a few sentences. The model (or models) with the most number of votes is declared the Star Pick of the Year. But while the process may be simple, the sheer volume of vehicles that made it to Philippine shores this year is quite staggering (well, considering the kind of variety we’re used to). As such, it literally became a headache picking out the models each deemed worthy.

Still, there are some cars that make such convincing cases that they got all five very diverse contributors to the list to give their nod. Ladies and gentlemen, here are our favorites for 2008. We had a blast discovering, driving, scrutinizing and eventually picking them. Read on and find out if our favorites agree with yours…

Manny’s Picks

1. Ford Focus TDCi Powershift: Ford missed a golden opportunity when it launched the sleek-looking Focus TDCi two years ago with only a stickshift. They hit a homerun in 2008, however, when they unveiled an even better looking Focus TDCi, still powered by that mighty 340-Nm common-rail diesel engine but equipped with no less than a 6-speed automatic with a neat Powershift manumatic feature. Sharp looks, European-car ride and build quality, 5-door practicality, mega levels of torque – and now with an automatic. What more can you ask for?

2. Honda Jazz: The most versatile hatchback makes an all-new debut this year and it’s better than ever. Sleeker, roomier, with more features, and still so wonderfully fuel efficient, the Jazz continues to redefine compact car packaging that even large car designers are left scratching their heads. That the Jazz is such a ball to drive is the icing on the cake.

3. Hyundai i30: For the few remaining holdouts who think Korean cars are still inferior, crawl out from under that rock! The i30 is a Euro-style 5-door sport wagon about the size of a Mazda3 but with some BMW 1-series styling cues thrown in. It comes with a 1.6-liter gas engine but I’d make a beeline for the 1.6-liter CRDi engine. This variant is stylish, practical, fuel-efficient, and makes a whopping 40% more torque than the already powerful Civic 2.0 (and just 18% less than the Impreza WRX!).

4. Kia Carens: Kia’s well-designed and well-engineered Carens is a handsome crossover/MPV with a comfortable ride, lots of space, an abundance of features, and a superb CRDi engine. Pound for pound (or more specifically, peso for peso), it is easily the best 7-seater in the world. It’s no wonder you see them all over the place.

5. Mazda6: Mazda’s “zoom-zoom” tagline is no mere advertising gimmick. The Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord are magnificent and supremely comfortable mid-sized sedans. They’re also impressively fast. But one drive in the svelte and ***y Mazda6 and you’ll feel like you just lost 10 or even 20 years. It’s incredibly light on its feet, zooming to 100 kph and past with stunning alacrity. The interior is not as luxurious as the Camry’s or Accord’s, but its energetic 2.5-liter four won’t penalize you at the gas pumps unlike those cars’ big V6s.

6. Mitsubishi Lancer: Mitsubishi morphs the previous ho-hum Lancer into a spectacular World Rally Championship-inspired head-turner. But it’s not just all looks. The new Lancer has solid sports sedan driving credentials, thanks to its Lancer Evo-derived (minus the turbo) MIVEC variable valve timing 2-liter engine, a choice between a 5-speed stick and a CVT automatic with 6-speed paddle shifters, big four-wheel disc brakes, and of course, that rally-bred chassis. Lots of state-of-the-art features including a kick-butt Rockford-Fosgate audio system make it the quintessential poor man’s BMW.

7. Mitsubishi Montero Sport: I’ve never been a big fan of large SUVs, but when I drove the Montero Sport on a test track last July, I became a convert. Slightly smaller than the Fortuner (and much shorter than the Isuzu Alterra and Ford Everest) but with the same 7-seat capacity, the Montero Sport won me over with its more supple ride, strong common-rail diesel engine, smooth-shifting automatic with manumatic function, and smooth understated looks. I love cars that drive smaller than they look, and the nimble-for-its-size Montero Sport is one of them.

8. Subaru Impreza WRX: Want to enjoy Porsche Boxster acceleration for the price of Toyota Camry? Then you need only walk into a Subaru dealer and drive off in an Impreza WRX. You get a hairy 227-hp 2.5-liter turbo-intercooled motor and rally-proven all-wheel-drive traction for a 5.8-second 0-100 kph run (and a 220-kph top speed). You also get seating for five, surprisingly supple riding comfort, and 5-door hatchback versatility. There’s also the 300-hp 255-kph Impreza STi, but the P600,000 premium over the WRX for a 1-second 0-100 kph sprint advantage doesn’t give it that much better bang for the buck.

9. Toyota Innova: This is a no-brainer. If we reverted to a post WWII communist rule and had to have just one car for everyone, the Innova would be the prefect choice. It looks good, has lots of space for 7 or 8, is impressively fuel-efficient (especially with the CRDi motors), and has that legendary Toyota reliability. The flagship V variant even has a full-leather interior, middle row captain’s chairs, and woodtrim. The 2008 facelift gives the Innova a Mercedes-like chrome grille and a new front bumper with a sporty air intake – which makes me like it even more.

10. Toyota Vios Sport: The limited edition Toyota Vios Sports take off where the immortal Honda Civic SiR left off ten years ago. It may not make more power than the standard 1.5-liter Vios, but the fire engine red paint and the ***y aerodynamic body kit of the Sport give the already zippy little car that much more visual oomph. It’s one of those rare cars that look fast even when standing still. The base car, of course, already has lots of winning attributes – as thousands of happy owners already know.

cont'd.....

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    James’ Picks

1. Toyota Fortuner: There was only really one chink in Toyota’s knight in shining sheet metal, and now that the men in white coats have finally managed to take the edge off that bumpy ride, the competition has finally run out of excuses. The revised edition looks even better than ever and how could you not love the new steering wheel controls, blue tooth radio with hands free phone function and iPod connectivity. The best just got better.

2. Mercedes GLK280: Comparing this to the X3 is almost like comparing a CD to a cassette. I know that sounds harsh, although not probably nearly as harsh as the BMW’s bouncy ride, but the GLK is just in a different league. Even riding on 20 inch rims, the GLK always remains smooth and composed, with a fantastic engine/transmission combination. You can be sure that BMW will come back with something stellar, but for now its game, set, match, to the new Baby Benz! Until Lexus opens up their doors next month perhaps...

3. Kia Carens: I’m not sure if anyone is keeping count, but this could be the Philippine’s most awarded vehicle. And for good reason, too. It is hard not to join the chorus of praises after driving this 7-seater up and down to Subic with the whole family on board. It is very well priced, has a terrific choice of engines (both gas and diesel are brilliant) and feels very durable. If it could only throw in ABS and airbags, this would be unstoppable. Or should I say, stoppable?

4. Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0: Talk about a radical departure. If the old Lancer was the wallflower of the compact class, the new EX 2 liter is the king of the prom. I am currently shopping for a company car and the Lancer really puts forward the most convincing case: 18 inch rims, HID headlights with cornering function, full on body kit, sports steering wheel with paddle shifters and that monster Rockford Fosgate sound system to boot! The only bad thing is that all the Evo owners are complaining that their cars are beginning to look quite, err, common.

5. Nissan Grand Livina: Okay, it may not win any beauty pageants, but Nissan’s new Livina is doing its bit to keep the big three honest. It rides really well, has a really good electronic power steering system, offers seating for 7, albeit at a pinch, and adds a level of refinement that is missing from the nation’s favorite micro seven seater, the Toyota Avanza. I hate to sound like just another billboard, but it really does drive like a sedan that you’ll forget it’s an MPV. Sometimes I’m not even sure if Nissan knows what it is...

6. Land Rover Discovery 3: Beauty, brains, and brawn... if it were a woman, it would be Angelina Jolie without the tattoos and weirdness. I have never driven anything so refined yet so tough. During a weekend test drive over to Tanay, I was able to take the Disco 3 into terrain that even Carabaos feared to tread, and then pulled up at a five star hotel that same evening and never looked out of place next to the Benzes and Beemers. This is the country’s most under rated luxury SUV and deserves more driveways to call home.

7. Honda Jazz: I would be amazed if the Jazz doesn’t end up as the Star pick for 2008. This is the “Fortuner” of the sub compact class – just when the competition come up with something worthy, it ups the game. The Jazz always seems to be one generation ahead of the rest and this new one is nothing short of exceptional. All the minor kinks were ironed out, like the minor CVT and the EPS woes of the first generation, and Honda managed to give it a cosmetic make over that would leave Vicky Belo envious.

8. Subaru Impreza STi: There are no shortage of supercars out there; Subaru was just able to teach their one some manners. Aside from fuel consumption worthy of its own twelve step program, the STi removes all the compromises you had just grown to accept with a car of this performance. Brilliant handling, awesome power, but a nice light clutch and smooth transmission. It has all the makings of track day hero, but without the ridiculous ground clearance of cigarette paper and a ride as firm as the rock of Gibraltar.

9. Nissan Navara: It may lack the composed and much softer ride of the Strada, but the Navara hits a home run everywhere else. Bed space, power, ruggedness – this feels like a pick up you could go to war with. If you’re after a good working truck, this one takes a lot of beating.

10. Ford Focus TDCi Powershift: This is the only other car on my company car shopping list. Honestly, if it weren’t for the overwhelming equipment list of the Lancer, the decision would have already been made. But while it lacks all the goodies that the Lancer so proudly boasts, it features an engine and gearbox combination only ever seen on cars more than twice its price. It’s a tough decision, so while I take the new year break to mull it over, they both end up on my top ten list for 2008.

Lester’s Picks

1. Kia Picanto 1.1: With the recent spike in fuel prices, economy cars were suddenly placed in the spotlight. The Picanto sips gas, keeps up with traffic and has gobs of space inside. Its new rounded look makes it even more lovable.

2. Honda Jazz 1.3 A/T: We’ve been Jazz fans since its introduction, but the all-new model is such a big improvement in looks, function and fuel efficiency. Where else can you squeeze 11.89 kilometers to a liter in heavy pre-Christmas Metro Manila traffic with the convenience of an automatic transmission but in a new 1300c Jazz?

3. Foton Blizzard 4x2: It may look like an update of the Isuzu Fuego and it may sound like a truck, but if you have a small business and you MUST have a pickup truck, the Foton Blizzard can’t be beat. It’s a few hundred thousand pesos cheaper than the base mainstream Japanese pickup and that cash can go a long way in today’s business climate.

4. Mazda BT-50 4x2: Mazda’s new BT-50 is a more cost-effective alternative to its more popular kin, the Ford Ranger, and they share the same mechanical design underneath. It’s a well-built pickup truck at prices that are very competitive.

5. Chevrolet Captiva 4x4 CRDi:
    This small sport utility vehicle from Chevrolet’s Korean assembly plant is what I’d buy if I were limited to just one family vehicle that can do everything. It’s good for family trips around the city or out in the country while its svelte size makes it easy to maneuver in traffic.

6. Kia Carnival LX: If you have a growing family, this multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) from Kia is just the ticket. Its 2.9-liter CRDi diesel engine delivers 350Nm of torque, which is more than enough to give you muscle car oomph in a soccer mom mobile guise.

7. Subaru Impreza STi: Why buy a two-seat sports car when you can buy a four-door, four-seat hatchback that can equal or even exceed the sports car’s capabilities? Sure, it may not have the *** appeal of the sports car but it’s a whole lot of fun to take three of your friends or your family for an exciting all-wheel drive turbocharged ride. No wonder it’s the 2008 Philippine Car of the Year.

8. Chrysler 300C 3.5 V6: If I have a couple of million pesos burning a hole in my pocket, I’d get me one of these Mafioso-looking luxury cars. No, I won’t get a 5.7-liter Hemi or a 6.1-liter SRT8 because the 3.5-liter V6 feels just right for our Philippine roads. Besides, the mean countenance of a black 300C is enough to tell other drivers: “Don’t mess with me!”

9. Mercedes Benz C-Class: I’ve always been an E-Class man but when I drove the C-Class, I became a convert. This is a Benz that you can live with and it’s priced just right. It’s powerful yet fuel efficient and the tri-star on the hood has enough prestige to get you prime parking spaces.

10. Mercedes Benz ML350 Sport: This P5.5M SUV would be the ultimate yuppie mobile statement in today’s trying times. It’s roomy, sporty, smooth and comfortable. The ML350 features an alphabet soup of features that allows you to get to your destination in a swift, safe, serene and secure manner. Once you’ve been in one, you won’t like to be without an ML350 Sport.

cont'd...

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Andy’s Picks

1. BMW M3: Get this car if you’ve always wondered what it feels like to be a rock star. The M3’s rarity compared to any model from Porsche causes second glances and long stares everywhere you go, while BMW fans shamelessly “ooh” and “aah” and pose for pictures with it. Its lightweight V8 is 400-horses strong and puts out a symphony of music, while its exquisitely tuned suspension let safely you explore the limits without fear of flying off a cliff and making headlines just like a real rock star. Screw American Idol. This one is Bono with a carbon fiber roof and twin dual tailpipes.

2. Mercedes Benz C-Class: Mercedes’ bread-and-butter sedan has shed its stodgy image and evolved into a very stylish, sporty sedan that excels at long drives. While it doesn’t have the almost-telepathic driving abilities of the rival BMW 3-Series, the C-Class in my book is no slouch and simply looks better inside and out whether you get the base 4-cylinder or the high-end 6. From the look of the gauges to the grain of the plastics and the tasteful combination of colors and textures, the C-Class is about money (admittedly a lot of it) well spent.

3. Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT: The pride is back. After the last generation’s ambivalent personality, the Lancer EX GT is an all-singing, all-dancing, supremely confident compact that scores high in the performance, handling, value, and all-important pogi points scoresheets. Oh, and if you simply must have more mojo, you can always order up an Evo X if you’ve got the moolah.

4. Hyundai i10: While I think Hyundai’s tack of naming its cars to shamelessly ape the popularity of the iPod is just a little too cute, the i10 is an indisputably good deal. The i10 is an exercise in making a “budget car” fun. Pert styling, good space maximization, and a zippy nature endear it to folks who even remotely like to drive, while its fuel-sipping nature will put a smirk on anybody who just loves to put one over the big, bad oil companies.

5. Nissan Frontier Navara: Pickup trucks are not supposed to be fun to drive. Neither are they expected to burn rubber. Yet the Navara’s high output CRDi drivetrains in both 4x4 and 4x2 variants, coupled with rack-and-pinion steering that’s almost as precise as a car’s, can make any driver forget he’s at the helm of a truck with dimensions approaching a Ford F-150’s. And for those who still remember the old Frontier’s seriously stiff leaf springs, the Navara’s suspension has been mercifully tuned in favor of a comfortable ride without sacrificing off-road or load-bearing capability.

6. Mitsubishi Montero Sport:
    Alone among the truck-based SUVs, the Montero Sport has an independent rear suspension that gives it a chop-free ride and handling dynamics that gave Mitsubishi enough confidence to let us motoring journalists preview it on a race track. Think of it as a 7-passenger evolution of the Strada pickup truck, but with more standard goodies like USB and AUX ports for the 6-speaker stereo, multi-info LCD panel, and auto climate control.

7. Kia Carens: It is this generation’s “Space Wagon”. This compact MPV seats 7, has a supple ride that seems to have been tuned by Europeans, and is available with very good gas and diesel drivetrains. It may look like a mom-mobile, but few mom-mobiles can drive and ride as well as the Carens while providing enough accommodations for the kids, the nanny, and the Lab.

8. Isuzu D-MAX Boondock Edition: Isuzu revitalized the workhorse Global D-MAX late this year with the “Boondock” edition, sporting a taller ride height, bigger, mudcrawling tires, and approach, departure, and incline angles that’ll let it scale some of the worst terrain you’d subject your own truck to. For a mudcrawler though, it still has a civilized ride that won’t induce nausea, and the list of standard equipment like back-up sensors and a pretty good sound system make it a truck that’s easy to live with.

9. Honda Jazz: No longer the cute hatch that turned the econobox market on its head in its first generation, the all-new Jazz is a model of packaging efficiency and anime styling. Honda’s trademark precision is reflected in its smooth-revving, smooth-shifting four-cylinder drivetrains and overall build quality, while its handling characteristics make it a genuinely fun-to-drive, pseudo hot hatch.

10. Subaru Impreza STi: A compact that’s not for everyone. With standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive in all variants, and a trio of excellent flat-four engines from non-aspirated in the “R Sport” to all-hell-breaking-loose in the “STI”, the Impreza is a driver’s car for those who appreciate the finer points of car control and who’d rather endure Ellen than get a car just like the neighbors’.

Dong’s Picks

1. Honda Jazz: Honda’s compact hatch has been on the best seller list almost as steadily as Stephen King novels have (yes, even the bad ones) – with good reason. It has stayed one step ahead of the competition on every level. And just when the competition finally catches up, the Jazz ups the ante once more with updated features galore. Oh yes, it still leads the pack in its segment on practically every level – without a doubt.

2. BMW X6: Forget about the fact that it only seats 4 people. The BMW X6 is a radical departure from the tried and tested SUV mold and it makes a glorious aesthetic statement along the way – “we’ll follow our own rules, thank you very much”. Legendary BMW drive quality, unique exclusivity and superb headturning capability. This not-so-little Bimmer hits its target market’s solar plexus right on. It’s an image and marketing coup de grace through and through.

3. Ford Focus TDCi Powershift: We in the motoring media were actually waiting for this little bugger to arrive as early as its more proletariat yet not any less politically correct manual transmission variant made its debut. Well…it finally arrived…and how! The Focus TDCi Powershift is quite simply the most practical and intelligent car in its class. Heck, it’s packed with technology cars twice its price boast of! ’Nuff said…

4. Audi R8: When Tony “Iron Man” Stark flashed his Bulgari timepiece in his debut live action Hollywood blockbuster film, I drooled. When I saw his R8, the janitors at the movie house were practically wiping my saliva from all over the floor. When I saw and felt the Audi R8 in person, I went to heaven. Someday I’ll have a watch like that, a car like that…heck, a suit like that!

5. Nissan Navara: Pick up fans will probably recall how the Navara’s predecessor, the Frontier, used to lord it over the pick up segment – until everyone else came up with decidedly better products, that is. Well…the long wait for Nissan’s return to the top of the pick up heap is over. The Navara has “class leading” written all over it – in practically every important department. Oh, and that six speed manual transmission and insane torque combination is simply monstrous!

6: Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0: We drove this handsome new Lancer in Japan last year (October 2007) – much earlier than anyone else in the Philippines did. And even back then we knew it would end up on our top ten list at the end of 2008. It’s quite simply the biggest improvement of any model out in the market today. Welcome back to the game, Mitsubishi!

7. Subaru Impreza STi: Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to the Impreza STi’s on-road thrilling capabilities at its price range. With its combination of power, punch, handling, exclusivity and suppleness, it is without a doubt the most exciting yet still practical and pocket friendly vehicle available to the Filipino car buff. Before it arrived, you’d probably never hear the words “hatchback” and “macho” uttered in the same sentence. With the arrival of the Impreza STi, those days of hatches being considered small fries are long gone…

8. Kia Carens: The Carens is the MPV that finally put some much-deserved street cred attached to the Kia badge. Practical and pretty, it comes in two very impressive variants (petrol and CRDi) that make for some excellent variety (although personally, I’d go for the CRDi’s political correctness). It garnered its fair share of awards this year, and I’d be the first person to say that this is one vehicle that deserves all the accolades. Bravo, Kia!

9. Hyundai i10: With the arrival of the Chinese brands this year, a whole new market was attracted by an enticing new battlecry for cars: affordability. Well, now armed with years of experience, Hyundai jumps into the “affordable” fray and adds another attraction as well: reliability. The Hyundai i10 is the embodiment of the Korean carmaker’s valiant push to meet the needs and demands of practically every segment of the car buying market – and the car is a commendable effort indeed.

10. Toyota Vios Sport: Legendary reliability and a good understanding of market desires can push a carmaker to great heights. Toyota has a good understanding of these concepts and it shows in the Toyota Vios Sport. The sheer amount of Vioses out there ought to make the next Vios look typical, but the Vios Sport’s fiery red shade and external highlights make it quite a sight to behold. The best thing about the car is that it looks mighty enticing, but still manages to retain its fuel efficiency – which is one of its core strengths. Such a great marketing effort on the part of the one carmaker that just seems to do everything right year in and year out.

Finally....

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    looks like consistent ang mitsu lancer at montero sports sa 08 picks

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pass the salt please! we all know where those envelopes came from don't we!

do a test drive, that is the only way to gauge. you make the choice, do not let anyone else make it for you.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    don't bother reading hehehe

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post

do a test drive, that is the only way to gauge. you make the choice, do not let anyone else make it for you.
    AMEN.... next thread, please?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Guys, please do not be so cynical. At every yearend, there is always a list somewhere.

And as always, there is somebody who will do a critique for those that is in the list.

Anyway, it is just somebody's list. But to some it, may be a useful guide.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hehehe... some are just being paid to put up a list... while others take joy at berating those who put up the list... what a wonderful world!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post

my thoughts exactly! give new meaning to the oft used phrase '...and the envelope please..'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
PhilSTAR picks 2008