New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    to the threadstarter, that's ok... just doing some housekeeping around here. :police:

---

BTTT

I missed it... the ultimate in affordable performance here in the Philippines... the Westfield Megabird!

Available as: Complete kit (less engine gearbox wheels and tires), Starter kit
    Engine: Honda Super Blackbird 1100
    Capacity: 1137cc
    Cylinders: 4inline DOHC 16V
    Fuel: 95 Octane unleaded
    Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
    Ignition system: Electronic ignition & Honda throttle bodies
    Max Power: 165 Hp * 9500rpm
    Max Torque: 88 lb.-ft * 7250rpm
    0-100 km/h: 3.9 seconds
    Transmission: 6 speed constant mesh
    Final drive: 3.36/3.21 optional LSD
    Steering: Rack and pinion
    Lock: 2.5 turns
    Brakes: Disc brakes all round
    Wheels: 15” x 6” Front 15” x 7.5” Rear Aluminum Rota Italia
    Tires: 195/55VR15 Front / 205/50VR15 Rear Bridgestone Potenza RE540S Tires
    Fuel Tank capacity: 28.4 liters
    Suspension: Fully independent wishbones front and rear with adjustable shock absorbers
    Overall Length: 3340mm
    Overall width: 1610mm
    Weight: From 440kg

c/o C! Magazine
    source: http://www.c-magazine.com/c_article.asp?articleid=1

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    That's not the point. A V12 S-Class could destroy a Civic Type R both on and off the track. Does that make it a performance car? Of course not. Having the ability to hang with, or even kill, another vehicle does not automatically make such a car a performance car. There's a difference between fast cars and performance cars.

A performance car is one that has been engineered with pure driving performance as a priority. Whether or not said engineering lives up to its intentions is an entirely different issue.

I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, but let's get this straight: A performance car is not simply a car with good power-to-weight ratios. Camries, Accords, and Galants are not performance cars. They may be relatively quick, but their primary purpose is not performance. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
    Performance is relative depending on the parameters. Quickness off the line can be counted as performance. But, I guess I missed reading the required parameters later in the thread. Anyway, I posted those stats to answer some the questions in thread starter's original post. If those cars aren't performance cars, then they're not. My apologies.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 18th, 2007 at 03:12 AM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I guess I have given a topic that is too broad for us at the moment. We all both know that this is a public online forum, that's why everyone's opinion matters. At the end of the day, it all boils to each to their own opinion. If one would say this and that, then that's fine. But for me, there really should be more than power to weight ratios thingies and what not. As I've said, it should be as a whole package.

Now this would fall, for me, in the right category!! Anyone know how much this beast is?

Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    I missed it... the ultimate in affordable performance here in the Philippines... the Westfield Megabird!

Available as: Complete kit (less engine gearbox wheels and tires), Starter kit
    Engine: Honda Super Blackbird 1100
    Capacity: 1137cc
    Cylinders: 4inline DOHC 16V
    Fuel: 95 Octane unleaded
    Compression Ratio: 11.0:1
    Ignition system: Electronic ignition & Honda throttle bodies
    Max Power: 165 Hp * 9500rpm
    Max Torque: 88 lb.-ft * 7250rpm
    0-100 km/h: 3.9 seconds
    Transmission: 6 speed constant mesh
    Final drive: 3.36/3.21 optional LSD
    Steering: Rack and pinion
    Lock: 2.5 turns
    Brakes: Disc brakes all round
    Wheels: 15” x 6” Front 15” x 7.5” Rear Aluminum Rota Italia
    Tires: 195/55VR15 Front / 205/50VR15 Rear Bridgestone Potenza RE540S Tires
    Fuel Tank capacity: 28.4 liters
    Suspension: Fully independent wishbones front and rear with adjustable shock absorbers
    Overall Length: 3340mm
    Overall width: 1610mm
    Weight: From 440kg

c/o C! Magazine
    source: http://www.c-magazine.com/c_article.asp?articleid=1

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    around 1M pesos... but the price is dependent on the choice of engine and options that you want to put in.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    They used to offer the basic kit for 700k (sans engine)... but I don't know if they're still doing business (I've tried looking).

----

RE: Ford Focus Sport 2.0: Yes, it's soft, but it's still a more composed handler (IMHO) than the current Civic, as it has better spring and shock rates. I've driven the TRS-fettled 1.6 Focuses (Focii?), and you're right (ghosthunter), with just the proper springs, they're excellent handling cars.

There's just a bit too much understeer in the car, though, due to the slippery tires they put on the TRS Cup cars to keep speeds down. But I'm not sure if it's just that or due to some quirk of suspension geometry with the Focus, as this also appears in the Focus ST. (and throw those "nose-heavy" guesses out the window... EVO has measured the Focus ST to be perfectly 60:40 in weight balance... even better than many other modern "hot hatches", which linger around 65:35)

With some power mods (a CAI and an exhaust should net about 20 hp more) and good springs, a Focus 2.0 Sport is a pretty nifty (if not too fast) car.

But a great performance bargain here is a Honda Jazz. Fitted with lowering springs, a Mugen(?) exhaust kit and 15's with Neovas, it really took names on a track day we had in 2005. Chased my cousin's SiR into a spin in the midfield... hehehe.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    And these are affordable how?

The only true cars that are both "affordable" and "performance" would be the Lancer Evo or the WRX. Even then, these do not come cheap. Maybe an RS or a Civic Type R, but you'd be better off spending the money on the first two.

A BMW 320d is hardly a performance car. Being a luxury sedan, it has soft suspension, is heavy as hell, and the engine is puny. I have no idea what would make anyone think this was a performance car. And a Range Rover Sport? Are you kidding me? No SUV will ever be a performance car, not even the formidable G55 or the drool inducing Porsche Cayenne S Turbo. Having a giant engine and slightly stiffer suspension does not suddenly negate physics and the tendency for top heavy cars to roll.

I guess my point is, if you're going to say any car with a larger than normal engine (not a huge feat in most of southeast asia) or "sport package" is a performance vehicle, then almost anything is going to be. This is the same kind of logic that compels people to attach rear spoilers to FWD vehicles and slap a Type R sticker onto a Toyota.
    the range rover sport, the amg g55 and the porsche cayenne S turbo ARE PERFORMANCE fine not cars but SUVs ... then why did they ever created these special models if not for performance? there is a normal range rover which is bigger, a normal g-wagen and a normal cayenne but why release special models like these? its for performance and for those who wants the performance and speed of a sports car but in a body of an suv ...

tpos you call the rs and type R and evo as performance cars e ganun din yun e the RS is a lynx with a 2.0 engine the type r is a civic with a slightly stronger engine and the evo, a lancer with turbo and awd

same banana to the suvs mentioned above e halos lahat naman talaga ng performance vehicles are normal cars that are slapped with bigger or stronger engine e
    Last edited by kmo; May 19th, 2007 at 02:33 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Though I'll throw all of these out of the window once the new Miata becomes locally available here before the year ends. 2 seats, 170hp, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution... what more can you ask for?
    Sure na po ba yong dating ng bagong Miata locally? May updated timeframe ng local release po ba, and any approximate pricing? Thanks!

Makapag-ipon na nga...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hmm ... if affordable meaning 1.1 M or less, my choices would be:

1. Impreza 2.0 -- HP 150 // AWD!
    2. Focus 2.0 TDCi -- HP 134 // 340 nM Torque and Diesel!
    3. Civic 2.0 -- HP 155 // Honda Efficiency & Reliability
    4. Mazda3 2.0 -- HP 147

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Hmm ... if affordable meaning 1.1 M or less, my choices would be:

1. Impreza 2.0 -- HP 150 // AWD!
    2. Focus 2.0 TDCi -- HP 134 // 340 nM Torque and Diesel!
    3. Civic 2.0 -- HP 155 // Honda Efficiency & Reliability
    4. Mazda3 2.0 -- HP 147

I think the thread starter needs to define exactly what he means by performance cars. He seems to already have a predefined meaning. He needs to tell us what it is although it may only be a subgroup of what's considered a performance car. At the very least, he needs to narrow it down as much as possible since many mainstream cars can be modded to or has a performance version just like what many here have said.

For example, he probably wouldn't consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-600 (Hennesey-modded) a performance car even though the thing has 620-turbocharged hp, 0-60 mph of 3.7 sec, quarter mile of 12.2 sec, and pulls .90g at the skidpad (Compare to a Civic Si which pulls .87g's, 0-60 mph in the mid 6 sec, and quarter mile in the upper 14's/low 15's).
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 14th, 2007 at 08:30 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Performance Vehicles sa Pinas