New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneQuin View Post
    In standard form lang bro.

Oh yes! Dito sa UK uso na rin yung mga performance diesels. See photos below.

Ford MONDEO ST Tdci:
    http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...o_st_tdci.html

Skoda Fabia VRS
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...oda_fabia.html
    does an owner type jeep with an SR20DET count?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo View Post
    mercedes benz amg's (lahat) - can be ordered sa casa
    bmw m3 m5 m6 m coupe - casa
    porsche (all) - casa
    ferrari (all) - casa
    maserati (all) - casa
    And these are affordable how?

The only true cars that are both "affordable" and "performance" would be the Lancer Evo or the WRX. Even then, these do not come cheap. Maybe an RS or a Civic Type R, but you'd be better off spending the money on the first two.

A BMW 320d is hardly a performance car. Being a luxury sedan, it has soft suspension, is heavy as hell, and the engine is puny. I have no idea what would make anyone think this was a performance car. And a Range Rover Sport? Are you kidding me? No SUV will ever be a performance car, not even the formidable G55 or the drool inducing Porsche Cayenne S Turbo. Having a giant engine and slightly stiffer suspension does not suddenly negate physics and the tendency for top heavy cars to roll.

I guess my point is, if you're going to say any car with a larger than normal engine (not a huge feat in most of southeast asia) or "sport package" is a performance vehicle, then almost anything is going to be. This is the same kind of logic that compels people to attach rear spoilers to FWD vehicles and slap a Type R sticker onto a Toyota.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I was going with the original post of power to weight ratio, 0-60, hp/torque. Those alone would include a lot of street cars which may not be track cars and vice versa.

Where I am, not being a track car is not a big disadvantage if we're talking about mainly driving on the street.

I noticed on one of the videos that there's a Ford Focus SVT being reviewed. It's a fine track car. In a race track, it'll leave my ponderous V6 Sonata behind. But out in the street, that's simply not the case.

I know that firsthand because about a year ago, I chased one down after its driver (front of me, offset to the left) decided to spin its wheels and sent rocks flying into my hood and front glass. He tried weaving in and out of traffic and I was right there on his tail. He also tried slowing down and then trying to suddenly accelerate away. No dice. I was riding his bumper until he finally gave up. He raised his hands and feinted innocence. He knew what he did. The thud of that rock was so loud I thought it broke the glass.

It's only afterwards I analyzed closely what I did. I successfully chased down a car with great handling and decent power to weight ratio in a family car with a (probably) better power to weight ratio but much poorer handling.

Of course, I've been on the wrong end as well. Years ago, I thought I could leave all cars behind with my turbo Laser. Imagine my surprise when a souped up pickup truck (modded Chevy 454 SS) rode my tail and made life miserable for me. That brought me down to earth really fast and made me decide that out in the street, a track car isn't that important. And that was at a time when the DSM (Talon, Eclipse, Laser) cars were winning in Showroom Stock races.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    I noticed on one of the videos that there's a Ford Focus SVT being reviewed. It's a fine track car. In a race track, it'll leave my ponderous V6 Sonata behind. But out in the street, that's simply not the case.
    OT side: apologies mods if you'd consider this as one.

I would just like to point out that the car mentioned on the vid I have provided was a FOCUS RS (212 bhp Duratec Turbo engine) which has only been available for the EU market only. I did google about FOCUS SVT and this is it's counterpart here in Europe:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road...pression/834/5

http://www.forddesktops.com/show.asp..._2001_01_b.jpg

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

OT side: apologies mods if you'd consider this as one.

I would just like to point out that the car mentioned on the vid I have provided was a FOCUS RS (212 bhp Duratec Turbo engine) which has only been available for the EU market only. I did google about FOCUS SVT and this is it's counterpart here in Europe:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road...pression/834/5

http://www.forddesktops.com/show.asp..._2001_01_b.jpg
    Well, you are the one who said that we should only consider locally (Philippines) available performance vehicles that can be bought from authorized dealers - but you are continuously posting vehicles that do not fall under your original criteria. Now we are discussing here Talons, diesel Focus RSs, owner-type jeeps, etc.

I've seen my share of hijacked threads here that deviated way off topic (e.g. an infiniti thread that ended up in the discussion of old nissan engines).

For the last time - please stay on the topic. This thread is about stock & locally (Philipines) available (through authorized dealers) affordable performance vehicles.

I'll be deleting all off-topic posts later. :police:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anyone mentioned the Ford Focus 2.0L hatchback? Its just at the P1M mark and does deliver good enough performance on the road but it does only come in A/T form.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hehehe. My bad, mods. Guilty as charged. I feel like a College student that has just been told off inside the classroom or inside the Library. But hey, were all grown ups here aren't we? Hence, the acceptance of my fault. Apologies again to the mods.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    anyone mentioned the Ford Focus 2.0L hatchback? Its just at the P1M mark and does deliver good enough performance on the road but it does only come in A/T form.
    Isn't it that Ford only gave us Pinoys the Ghia model as the top of the line? Although, someone might correct me on this one. I don't really consider that as a "performance" car as it is too poshy with all those leather and soft suspension.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sorry for the OT post. But, that was just to illustrate performance in the track does not necessarily equate to an advantage on the street.

Anyway here's some numbers. HP to weight ratio doesn't necessarily mean anything with other factors to consider such as transmission, gearing, power delivery, etc. Turbos further complicate matters in its favor. But here:

------------------------
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 2.0L I-4 Turbo 286hp (1:11.3) 3219 lbs
    Subaru Impreza STi 2.5L I-4 Turbo 293hp (1:11.4) 3351 lbs
    ------------------------
    Subaru Impreza WRX 2.5L I-4 Turbo 234hp (1:13.9) 3192 lbs
    Subaru Legacy GT 2.5L I-4 Turbo 243hp (1:14.1) 3415 lbs
    Subaru Forester 2.5XT 2.5L I-4 Turbo 224hp (1:15.0) 3360 lbs
    ------------------------
    Toyota Camry 3.5L V6 268hp (1:12.9) 3461 lbs
    Hyundai Azera 3.8L V6 263hp (1:13.8) 3629 lbs
    Mitsubishi Eclipse 3.8L V6 268hp (1:13.0) 3472 lbs
    ------------------------
    Honda Accord 3.0L V6 244hp (1:13.5) 3371 lbs
    Mitsubishi Galant 3.8L V6 230hp (1:15.7) 3616 lbs
    Hyundai Sonata 3.3L V6 235hp (1:14.7) 3458 lbs
    ------------------------
    Ford Lynx RS 2.0L I-4 142hp (1:19.1) 2717 lbs
    Honda SiR 1.6L I-4 160hp (1:16.3) 2600 lbs

:
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 17th, 2007 at 05:02 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Isn't it that Ford only gave us Pinoys the Ghia model as the top of the line? Although, someone might correct me on this one. I don't really consider that as a "performance" car as it is too poshy with all those leather and soft suspension.
    Ford is selling the Focus 2.0L Sport (hatchback).

Ford Philippines' price list:
    http://www.ford.com.ph/servlet/Conte...Page&c=DFYPage

I have test driven it and its not that too soft nor "poshy". It might lack some real "sport" essentials like a limited slip differential to tame the potential wheel slip but it can handle pretty well.

IMHO, the suspension is good enough for the everyday driver but not suited to be pushed that hard. But if they gave it stiffer suspension (as stock), then most potential buyers would complain about the stiff ride (as some owners of the 1999 Corolla GLi and even older version of the Honda CRV have complained in the past). The stock suspension is good enough, it does dip slightly under hard cornering/braking but I won't fault it as being too soft. If you plan to take it racing, you could always swap the springs for a stiffer set.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Sorry for the OT post. But, that was just to illustrate performance in the track does not necessarily equate to an advantage on the street.

Anyway here's some numbers. HP to weight ratio doesn't necessarily mean anything with other factors to consider such as transmission, gearing, power delivery, etc. Turbos further complicate matters in its favor.
    That's not the point. A V12 S-Class could destroy a Civic Type R both on and off the track. Does that make it a performance car? Of course not. Having the ability to hang with, or even kill, another vehicle does not automatically make such a car a performance car. There's a difference between fast cars and performance cars.

A performance car is one that has been engineered with pure driving performance as a priority. Whether or not said engineering lives up to its intentions is an entirely different issue.

I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, but let's get this straight: A performance car is not simply a car with good power-to-weight ratios. Camries, Accords, and Galants are not performance cars. They may be relatively quick, but their primary purpose is not performance. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Performance Vehicles sa Pinas