New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yung kotse namin dati na wala pang one month yung new battery pero hindi na yata gagamitin yung car. Mas ok lang ba na disconnect nalang ang battery or alisin nalang battery sa kotse? Sayang kasi yung battery.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    I had my cars stored in our garage for a month cause we were out of town. What i did was disconnected all the battery terminals and manual locked the car. i also made sure that i only had a few liters in the tank. that's all.

after a month, connected the battery again, filled up the car with a gallon of Gas/Diesel and it started like it was new. left them "ON" for 20 or so minutes.

there's nothing really wrong with not starting or not using the car for a long time. the only problem with leaving the car for a long time without it being turned on is the fuel degrades from time to time. You need to make sure that you disconnect the battery terminals.

About the engine oil, i made sure that i changed my engine oil sooner that it should be. cause you'll never know that sludge might have built up on the bottom of the oil reservoir.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    kahit yung possitive terminal ng battery ang disconnect sir, kahit hindi na tangalin

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^be careful in removing the positive terminal. I wouldn't recommend it entirely cause sh*t may happen. You might be able to hold on to the cars body which has a Negative polarity and therefore electrocuting yourself.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    ^be careful in removing the positive terminal. I wouldn't recommend it entirely cause sh*t may happen. You might be able to hold on to the cars body which has a Negative polarity and therefore electrocuting yourself.
    Yes possible nga pala sir dahil yung body ground eh negative so not the positive, the negative polarity or it's better both thanks also for reminding sirboossr

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KIANTOT View Post
    Yes possible nga pala sir dahil yung body ground eh negative so not the positive, the negative polarity or it's better both thanks also for reminding sirboossr
    car batteries can be 12-24v. just don't touch where the metals contact and spark when they initially complete the circuit and you won't get hurt. the car is not an inverter nor a transformer though i'd like it to be.

regarding the terminals, always remember "tiit" or +--+. it means that from a battery without any connection, attach the positive terminal first followed with the negative. removal should be negative first followed by the positive terminal. the positive terminal stays longer on the battery.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    just read somewhere that disconnecting the battery from the car causes rusting of body parts. if this is so, cost benefit analysis---if one has to choose, cost of battery or cost of body repair?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    i had read other forums that idling just to warm up the engine for several minutes have no good benefits but may do worst and damage your engine, if i remember it right this will build sludge as engine oil is still cold and did not meets its operating temp... his advise is drive your car put serious miles on it or leave it there rather than warming it up stationary (specially if its on BREAK-In period)... i dont know which is better but it sounds right to me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    running til the oil gets to normal temp and running it some more comes from the premise that moisture comes from the air that goes through the engine when it cools down. this water will mix with the oil and must reach boiling temp to be expelled as steam. that's why constant short runs is considered a severe condition since your engine is collecting water each run. is oil temp. data available in an OBD device such as scangauge?

another premise is that the additives that neutralizes whatever unwanted byproducts from burning fuel work at those temps. wth?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    This is what I did, I bought a car alarm with auto start function, marami syang features, pero ang inactive ko is yung everyday tuwing 9am around 15mins auto start. Pwede mo rin iset once a week lang. Though yung again nailalabas naman at least once a month, what I did is may trusted driver kami na nagbyahe sa Airport pick up ng pasahero or naghahatid, kumikita pa yung sasakyan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Not using your car for a long period of time