New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodfire View Post
    Yikes! Thanks for the heads up midinite!

I guess I'll just park it in my garage in the meantime and do some research/due diligence on who can work on it. For the detailing, trims etc... I'll just work on it myself.

My concern now is the convertible top. Can anyone recommend a very good installer of soft tops?
    Ano pa po kulang sa restoration nyo sir, besides the detaling/trims/soft top? Ayus na makina?

On another note, di ba kaya ni boss turbo gawin yong di pa tapos? Though i understand if he might be busy as a bee on restoring his own cars right now.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Allow me to post my humble experience on the hobby. I can also consider myself a newbie, having gotten interested only exactly a year ago after picking up a 3 for 100 used magazine on Mustangs. Because of the Philippine connection with the USA, there are still a few cars left on our shores and I was surprised that the price of unrestored cars were very affordable.

Like many of you, I went head-on, bought a 67 Mustang shell after being sweet-talked by the seller from Fairview that he had all the parts and could help me restore. After a few months, I sort of got wind that I was turning into somebody's milking cow and decided to cut my losses. However, the muscle car bug bit hard and I was soon looking for a more complete car to work on.

To cut a long story short, I took a hit and swapped the shell for a more complete 69 Mach1. It is now being worked on by Midinite's team in Guiguinto, Bulacan which also worked on his 70 Mach1 that was recently brought home after just 6 months. Also, a 71 Mach1 I bought last March 2006 has already been completely restored by the same team and is just awaiting for brand-new weatherstrips via Forex Balikbayan box from L.A. which I expect to arrive next week.

All I can say is that Midinite's team delivered. They are composed mainly of 2 childhood friends from the 50's who grew-up around, worked-on, and owned several muscle cars. They are of humble backgrounds and retired from their respective work now. They restore muscle cars purely for the love of it as they like reliving a part of their youth everytime they are near these cars. Sometimes they get too attached to the cars they work on but hey, that's passion for you. Also, they seem to know where to buy original parts for these cars, both new and used. They are hobbyist themselves and they charge very reasonably. How about PHP10,000 for labor on overhauling a V8?

So you see guys, there is hope for the hobby for people like us without a whole lot of cash but who still want to own a piece of history. I hope that through this post, our numbers will grow. Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swordsman View Post

OT: for the owners or muscle cars who are not mechanically-inclined and without the factory service manual, for regular maintenance of running units, do these cars need special shops/tools to be worked on or your friendly neighborhood talyer would be able to work on them?
    Actually, american shouldnt be a big issue toolwise. prob is for the Euro...had encountered some specific tooling needs for my harrington. however, madali na yun since there are some helpful collectors out there. if you find the right collectors it is a friendly and amiable community. the key though is to find a way in since siyempre they are wary of guys selling "snake oil" or the occasional swindler. and they also have been burnt kaya medyo cautious sila. but once you start talking to them they are so easy to get along with. common thread being cars.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Guys,

Otep and his dad had their '40's-era Ford restored in Marilao Bulacan. I believe they had a problem with the restorer there in Bulacan. Anyways, just let Otep be the one to relay their experience.
    Would that be the siblings of the president of the VCCP? don't know many kasi in that area. anyway, it would be good if others were informed because as it is starting to be apparent some are having problems and the thread is meant to help newbies not get scared off but help them research on how they can enter the hobby as painlessly as well. wouldnt we want to be told if a someone has had a good or bad experience in order for us to assess as well. rather than have someone stay silent and watch as others get sucked in?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    Would that be the siblings of the president of the VCCP? don't know many kasi in that area.
    Yes that would be them. I'm not sure which problem sir dindo is talking about. No restoration goes without at least some semblance of a hitch (I guess that's where the fun comes from).

Ok naman ang final product. And matiyaga sila. They take everything apart. Medyo mabagal nga lang.

Nagkasama kami ulit dun sa Bb. Pilipinas parade. Cougar ragtop ang dala nila.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yikes! Thanks for the heads up midinite!

I guess I'll just park it in my garage in the meantime and do some research/due diligence on who can work on it. For the detailing, trims etc... I'll just work on it myself.

My concern now is the convertible top. Can anyone recommend a very good installer of soft tops?
    I may work on a convertible top for one of my cars with a guy called Alex from Marikina. Another one I am investigating is a guy in Sampaloc who does work for some collectors as well. pila lang sa kanya. sa may Vicente Cruz daw. I have their contact numbers if you want but would advise checking their work first, get a quote and a timeline. I am sure you do this pero it is part of my checklist too and is more for those getting into it. HW is the key.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yes that would be them. I'm not sure which problem sir dindo is talking about. No restoration goes without at least some semblance of a hitch (I guess that's where the fun comes from).

Ok naman ang final product. And matiyaga sila. They take everything apart. Medyo mabagal nga lang.

Nagkasama kami ulit dun sa Bb. Pilipinas parade. Cougar ragtop ang dala nila.
    that would have been a sight to see. anyway, any restoration has hiccups...and of course there are outright horror stories as well. good to see yours wasnt. and you are now enjoying your car.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We're preparing the car for my cousin's wedding in February. Medyo parang palyado ang tunog. Not sure kung sa carb tuning lang. Kinabitan na namin ng Japanese electric fuel pump to cure fuel delivery issues.

Hindi pa din naman masyado natetest kung mag-ooverheat sa traffic with the aircon on. Siyempre hindi pwede mainitan ang bride.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrox View Post
    Allow me to post my humble experience on the hobby. I can also consider myself a newbie, having gotten interested only exactly a year ago after picking up a 3 for 100 used magazine on Mustangs. Because of the Philippine connection with the USA, there are still a few cars left on our shores and I was surprised that the price of unrestored cars were very affordable.
    Don't have a car yet, but got interested thru this thread, and then went out and bought same 3 for 100 Mustang & Car collector mags
    Also, a 71 Mach1 I bought last March 2006 has already been completely restored by the same team and is just awaiting for brand-new weatherstrips via Forex Balikbayan box from L.A. which I expect to arrive next week.
    Ano po makina ng Mach1 nyo? 351C V8 po ba stock nyan?
    Buti na lang pwede na Paypal sa Pinas, madali na bumili sa Ebay ng mga accessories, then just ship via Johnny Air Cargo.
    So you see guys, there is hope for the hobby for people like us without a whole lot of cash but who still want to own a piece of history. I hope that through this post, our numbers will grow. Thanks!
    Thanks, very encouraging.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Hey I know woodfire very well. He was the best boss I had when I was still in the world of banking. He's a stickler for details but fair and very honest.

I was with him in the U.S. during his vacation in early 2005 when he bought his parts for his stang. Talagang complete na yung binili plus some some sweet edelbrock performance parts. Ikakabit na lang ng restorer niya sa bulacan.

Kaya I'm surprised kung bakit hindi tapos yung stang niya. Sir woodfire... I wish and fervently hope you can finish your stang this year.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Muscle Cars - Who would you recommend for restoration in Manila?