New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    On the contrary i respectfully disagree with Yebo. An international license is quite usefull and especially now quite necessary in the US. Although the regular DL is sufficient to drive around in the US for a certain period, an international drivers licence is necessary to rent a car. I would not have been allowed to rent a car if i didn't have one. Also having numerous forms of identification will make purchasing plane tickets, applying for a canadian or mexican visa, or even making purchases with credit cards easier. Especially now with the hightened security measures that the US is taking with foreign visitors.

I too was pulled over for going over the speed limit driving the 101 from LA to San Francisco. I was asked for my license. When i gave my local DL he asked if i had an international drivers license. One time i was stopped by a cop for jaywalking outside USC. He Asked for ID and when i gave him my license he asked if i had another form of ID. Since i don't bring my passport around i showed him my IDR. He accepted it and let me go. Another time my brother was pulled over but he wasn't asked for his international drivers license although he had one.

Again as yebo said, you probably might not need one at all, however i think its better to have one and not need it rather than not have one when you need it. Its a precaution that i think is worth getting especially now.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    pwede naman ang philippine license pag mag rerent ka ng car sa ibang bansa....u just need a credit card to go with it...if you plan to pay in cash you need a passport to go with your license...

i did it just last december in 2 diff. countries same procedure
    no international dl stuffs involved

HTH

3. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    ako din, rent-a-car sa canada a few times, phil drivers license lang plus credit card.
    If you're going to the US, try asking there na lang, coz I've heard iba ibang state iba ibang policy din sila.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Bro, I rented cars sa Budget and National in the US and all I showed them was my Philippine driver's license, non-pro. They ddin't even asked for my passport, deposit lang for the cars.

Originally posted by Vexel9
    On the contrary i respectfully disagree with Yebo. An international license is quite usefull and especially now quite necessary in the US. Although the regular DL is sufficient to drive around in the US for a certain period, an international drivers licence is necessary to rent a car. I would not have been allowed to rent a car if i didn't have one. Also having numerous forms of identification will make purchasing plane tickets, applying for a canadian or mexican visa, or even making purchases with credit cards easier. Especially now with the hightened security measures that the US is taking with foreign visitors.

I too was pulled over for going over the speed limit driving the 101 from LA to San Francisco. I was asked for my license. When i gave my local DL he asked if i had an international drivers license. One time i was stopped by a cop for jaywalking outside USC. He Asked for ID and when i gave him my license he asked if i had another form of ID. Since i don't bring my passport around i showed him my IDR. He accepted it and let me go. Another time my brother was pulled over but he wasn't asked for his international drivers license although he had one.

Again as yebo said, you probably might not need one at all, however i think its better to have one and not need it rather than not have one when you need it. Its a precaution that i think is worth getting especially now.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Our IDL looks cheap kasi. Cardboard lang tapos ginagamitan lang ng clear na packing tape to seal the photo. Maybe that's why the appreheding officers just laugh at it upon presentation hence the demand for another form of ID.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
International driver's permit