New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ....the autoplus skyline was converted by skyline motors in long beach ca. check out his site. www.turboawd.com.ph

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    A 'perfect conversion' can be done if the car is available in both LHD and RHD variants. For example, a 2000+ Toyota Celica comes out of the factory as LHD or RHD versions as it is sold in both Japan and the US. For a reputable shop that converts cars, converting a RHD Celica would be to buy the LHD parts, remove the RHD bits of the Celica and slap the LHD bits on. No engineering necessary. There should be no performance or safety issues as the car was originally designed from the start to be LHD or RHD.

Converting a LHD-only or a RHD-only car is another story. For example, the new Ford Mustang is only in LHD format. There is a company in Melbourne that specializes in Ford Mustang conversions. They have to re-engineer the car and fabricate new RHD bits just so that it will not only look as if it is originally made in RHD but perform as good as the LHD version. The conversion was detailed right down to the positioning of the wipers and the indicator and wiper controls on the steering column. It also has to pass strict ADR standards so safety was not compromised as well. That said, the above can also be called a 'perfect conversion'.

Considering all the trouble that both scenarios have to go through to convert a car, you should expect to pay a premium to have that service. Now if a no-name shop claims that it can convert cars cheaply, then you should be wary.

Sorry for the OT. Just have to point that out to those looking at 'converted' cars.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KoKoNAT View Post
    A 'perfect conversion' can be done if the car is available in both LHD and RHD variants. For example, a 2000+ Toyota Celica comes out of the factory as LHD or RHD versions as it is sold in both Japan and the US. For a reputable shop that converts cars, converting a RHD Celica would be to buy the LHD parts, remove the RHD bits of the Celica and slap the LHD bits on. No engineering necessary. There should be no performance or safety issues as the car was originally designed from the start to be LHD or RHD.

Converting a LHD-only or a RHD-only car is another story. For example, the new Ford Mustang is only in LHD format. There is a company in Melbourne that specializes in Ford Mustang conversions. They have to re-engineer the car and fabricate new RHD bits just so that it will not only look as if it is originally made in RHD but perform as good as the LHD version. The conversion was detailed right down to the positioning of the wipers and the indicator and wiper controls on the steering column. It also has to pass strict ADR standards so safety was not compromised as well. That said, the above can also be called a 'perfect conversion'.

Considering all the trouble that both scenarios have to go through to convert a car, you should expect to pay a premium to have that service. Now if a no-name shop claims that it can convert cars cheaply, then you should be wary.

Sorry for the OT. Just have to point that out to those looking at 'converted' cars.
    I understand what your saying but i think the only problem with that are the mounting points for items such as power steering reservoir, clutch reservoir, etc.... They'd have to completely change the inner fender wells and bulkhead to left hand drive also. I suppose they can rig something up to where they'd be able to mount the said components but i'd be suspect on something like that.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KoKoNAT View Post

i agree with this one .... tsaka i guess if they just specialized on converting a specific vehicle then i guess EVERYTHING that would be needed to be conveted were all taken into action ... coz hindi rin biro magpaconvert sa mga specialized companies like these .... youd really have to shell out a lot and for that amount of money .. i think everything that concerns safety were taken into account

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hey Whats up guys i just visit this web and i saw that you guys love cars!!! Have you see or heard bout the dodge SRT4? I got this car and i want to import it in the Phil.to give it to my brother...Heres a picture of my car

2005 Dodge SRT4
    2.4L Turbocharge
    300 hp
    350 lb/ft

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rtuazon4 View Post
    That's exactly what i thought, too. I believe anything over 5 years old is not allowed due to the philippines' "anti junk law" but i could be wrong.
    if that's the case then why are we getting all the junk buses and trucks
    that other countries are just too willing to dump on us.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ptk675 View Post
    I agree and not only that but i've ridden on some tricycles and jeepneys that made me wonder whether or not we'd get there alive.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ptk675 View Post
    Oh, they're not that bad. The last bus I rode from Alabang to Quezon City (1996) was pretty decent. A/C, comfortable seats, stereo.....

You want crummy buses, just take a look at what many American kids ride in to school. I could've sworn one school bus I used to ride from 3rd-6th grade (in the 70's) is still in use up to now in Nevada....

9. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    The laws are different for commerical vehicles - trucks, buses...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ...kung s2k pag-uusapan may mga binebenta din ditong USDM (orig LHD). nasa 2M++. tingin lang dun sa classifieds ng mla bulletin.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Importing Car From U.S.