New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I read another article that says it is still legal to import a car to subic since it is a free port. However, the car can not leave subic base's designated free port area. This lets the importers get cars from Japan and take them to Subic to be converted to left hand drive or instalation of emmisions and safety equiptment while taking advantage of cheap Filipino labor. Then these cars are then shipped to neighboring countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, maybe even South America to make a large profit.

I had a chance to look at cars in a Subic importers lot last year and the agent mentioned to me that the cars that they had in front of the lot are the last batch avialable for the Philippine public because they were tax paid before the government deemed grey market cars illegal. I saw a bunch of nice SUVs in the back and asked about them. The agent mentioned that they are just here to be converted then they will be shipped away to another country.

In a way feel bad because i want to buy a car that i normally cant afford through a regular dealership brand new. At the same time I can understand the rational, that this law was necessary to give the local automotive manufacturing community a boost to improve our economy.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Altec, what starting letter did your sportage have? How did they know it was an import? Pajeros, LCs, Bighorns are obvious targets; but a Sportage?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    so it's true then na pag binili sa Subic ang surplus vehicle, dapat sa Subic lang gagamitin?

yari ngayun mga nakapaglabas hanggang dito sa Maynila, kotong all the way hangga't

d sila nagbabayad ng tax. in another sense, too good to be true naman talaga

yan imported vehicles from Subic mas mura pa kaysa local cars eh suppose to be

pag nag-import ka parang ka na din bumili ng bago sa tindi ng tax.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by altec
    So what happens to all those 2nd hand cars already running in our streets? Happy na naman ang mga TMG and kotong cops natin nito??? We even have one unit Kia Sportage in Manila purchased and registered in region 7 that is now impounded in Crame because of the claimed improper payment of taxes. Ang hinihingi ng TMG: 100K. Ano sila hilo? I bought that car for only 220K plus freight to Manila. And then what? The next TMG guy to flag down the car and ask for anuder petots?

ano ba maging proseso pag in-impoung ng TMG ang mga hot cars na ganyan. i-fofoward ba yun name of owner sa BIR and Customs. kasi technically, they are tax evaders.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel
    Altec, what starting letter did your sportage have? How did they know it was an import? Pajeros, LCs, Bighorns are obvious targets; but a Sportage?
    Starts with the letter "Y". Cebu plates are either G, then became Y. From what I understand from the dealer, the importer registered it in Bais City, which is in Negros Oriental. Ang sabi ng taga TMG na naghuli, impounded due to suspected tampered ang chassis number or engine number. Sus, gimmick talaga. Since walang pera yung salesman namin na panglusot, na impound. We told them ipa etching mo lang and you will know di yan tampered, coz we have records from the importer yun ang mga numbers pag import. Ito ang mga documents na hiningi:

1. Invoice of original sales
    2. customs certificate of payment
    3. copy of promissory note of mortgage
    4. invoice of engine and chassis
    5. deed of sales first owner to the last registered owner
    6. pnp clearance for original registration
    7. confirmation of certificate of engine and chassis
    8. certificate of plate assignment
    9. confirmation of certificate of registration
    10.Motor vehicle pertinent documents

Talo pa ang brand new car documents sa hinihingi ng tmg. With this new ruling, lalong tatapang ang mga mokong na yan para hulihin ang mga tumatakbo na sasakyan sa kalye na duda nilang imported. And yes, nabasa ko rin yun na although they exclude subic, it meant that subic can import but should also be reexported and not sold in the Philippines. I doubt it if TMG really wants to check that even those coming from subic really paid taxes in full.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    take note when you buy a car, whether brand new or surplus imported, no one provides you the figures on the amount of taxes that they actually paid, nor do you get a certificate for your permanent plates (they just give it to you and write it manually into our certificate of registration), or the pnp clearance. We just rely on the dealer, brand new or 2nd hand, to take care of those things.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    i suppose the law is not being implemented fully since there are plenty of cars on the road with plates that begin with r (?)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel
    All cars from subic now have "R" as first letter, so they know which ones are from subic. Problem are the previous ones with "X' or "Z".

Retroactive ba yun EO?
    it is not only Subic cars that get the R as first letter in its plates. All cars registered in Region 3 hsve the R prefix. since Subic is in Region 3, it also follows the R prefix.
    Signature

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
imported surplus vehicles now illegal-Supreme Court