New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Mga tsikoteers please answer this..

Assuming the odometer reading is flawless and accurate and nobody had tampered it before and the car is well maintained..Question.

Can we safely say that the odometers reading is relative to the age of the car assuming a normal usage of 20Thou km per year?

Example: A 1996 (10 year old) car's odometer reads 74thou KM and using as our gauge the normal usage of 20thou km/year..safe to say that this 10 year old car is only 4 years old if we considered its low mileage? In short kahit matanda na ung car pero mababa pa ung odometer reading nya, fresh pa rin sya dahil mababa mileage nya?

Please guide me on this..Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Medyo tama assumption mo...

When I got my Altima na 94, nasa 79K palang odo nya... But don't forget that some parts of the car isn't based on the mileage lang...

I mean, stuff like the body and paint isn't mileage dependent... Some parts of the car needs replacement based on aging din...

But in most cases, yes, tama hinala mo.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    hehehe kasi may bibilhin akong car 77K odometer for a 10 year old car...hindi naman siguro na tamper yun.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It's usually the case, but not always. Take for instance human beings. Compare a 20+ year old eating fatty foods, smoking, drinking, etc., to a 40+ who religiously exercises, eats a balanced diet and has no vices.

If the car has low mileage, be sure to still check the engine and suspension condition. You'll never know, it could be kilometers of pure overdriving.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    ur right there as well..

and dont forget the driver seat......kung lubog and faded pero pinagpilitang seldom use, at nakita mong low milage, magduda ka..

yup engine sound, suspension bounce and rattles are sometimes good indicators...include mo din ung fading ng steering wheel, button marks, basta ung fading...(kung walang steering wheel cover)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Correct! of course those are good indicators also, well those are the usual wear and tear of the car parts eh but if we consider its odometer as indicator of its true age assuming good working condition of the odometer..we may presume its true economic age with respect to its mileage

8. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Just the other side of the coin:

Assume there are two cars of identical make, year and model, but different mileage, same exterior and interior condition, in short all else being equal, I'd rather get the car that has 100,000km on it but well maintained (with records) than one with 50,000km but has no evidence of regular maintenance/tune-ups.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing
    Just the other side of the coin:

Assume there are two cars of identical make, year and model, but different mileage, same exterior and interior condition, in short all else being equal, I'd rather get the car that has 100,000km on it but well maintained (with records) than one with 50,000km but has no evidence of regular maintenance/tune-ups.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    ask the owner, on the place of residence. a 10 year old car may have reached 77T Km, which is relatively low, pero kung puro city driving yan para mo na rin sinabi na yung car is 100T Km ang tinakbo. unlike the 10 year old car whose mileage is 77T Km, but puro highway driving naman e mas maayos pa rin kung tutuusin compared to the first sample.

tama si eurie. ako i drive a 150T Kms car, with regular maintenance. ok pa naman sya, di pa nagkakaproblema nang matindi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
guide to cars age:odometer reading?