New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    hehe tama yun, steer where the tail is flipping, napanood ko yun minsan sa tv, they call it counter-steer. if umikot na yung car, apply brakes and let go of the steering in order daw na tumigil agad. i forgot the name of the race car driver who gave this tip

eto another tip, well for those who don't have ABS like me haha, when you need to stop quickly, don't slam on the brakes that may cause any of your tires to lock. dami ko times nabangga when my 2 front tires lock, masama pa jan, the car won't react when you steer if those 2 are locked. pero knowing this, i still slam the brakes haha!!! (how i wish may ABS ako) in some cases i let go of the brakes once i hear them skidding and apply brakes smoothly so i could steer.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    First, a few cautions. Make sure your seat belt is securely fastened. Make sure there is plenty of room for each of these maneuvers with a good margin for error and there is no other traffic around that could be startled by your sudden changes in driving patterns. If you are a new driver, have a more experienced driver or a driving instructor accompany you to help evaluate your performance.

Remember, your safety is your responsibility. You must use your own good judgment to make sure conditions are safe for each of these maneuvers. If you do not feel comfortable with any of these maneuvers, then do not attempt them without an experienced driving instructor accompanying you.

The reason you are doing these maneuvers is to gain experience and confidence in your abilities and to know what to expect from your car when a real emergency occurs.

* Try a panic stop. First check your mirror to make sure no one is behind you; then try to stop the car as short as you can from about 30 miles per hour. Don't do this more than a few times in a row without letting the brakes cool off. If you find your car skidding sideways, especially in the rain, try releasing the brakes and then immediately reapplying them. Notice how you quickly regain steering control. Now, try pumping the brakes in the rain. By pumping the brakes, you maintain steering control while stopping in the shortest distance. That is the principle behind anti-lock brakes which can "pump" the brakes at the rate of about ten times per second. (Note: If your car has anti-lock brakes, then the proper procedure is to just stand on the brakes and let the anti-lock system do the pumping for you.)

* Try swerving from one lane to another. Warning: When performing this maneuver, keep in mind that certain vehicle types, such as sport utility vehicles, are inherently unstable and may tip over when turned sharply. The best way to avoid many accidents is to steer around an obstacle. If you are in the left or right lane on a highway and you find the traffic suddenly stopped in front of you, the best course of action might be to steer onto the shoulder or safety lane rather than panic stop. Even if you think you have enough room to stop, the person behind you may not react as fast and hit you in the rear, possibly causing a chain reaction accident.

Make sure there is more than enough room in case you misjudge your car's ability and that there are no cars along side of you or to the rear. See how your car responds to sudden changes in direction. Remember, you're doing this so that in a real emergency, you won't be caught off-guard by your car's handling ability and lose control.

* Step on the gas hard while coming around a turn. Only try this in an empty parking lot while it is raining. If you have a front wheel drive car, it will probably react by going straight until you let go of the gas. If you have rear wheel drive, the car will probably go into a spin as the rear tires break loose. This response can get you into serious trouble if it happens on the road and you didn't expect it. By practicing like this in a parking lot, you'll be able to recognize and prevent a spin by letting up on the gas.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    In a front wheel drive car, do not suddenly release the gas or brake while swerving. Brake first, then steer.

If you brake during the swerving maneuver and you're in a comfort-tuned front wheel driver with low grip, chances are, you're transferring anywhere from 80-90% of the car's weight to the front wheels. This will lead to understeer in most cases, but if you suddenly turn as this is happening, it can lead to snap oversteer, sending you sideways into the object you're trying to avoid.

Of course, if you have relatively good tires, the car may not go all the way into a spin, but it may start to fish-tail, and you'll have a hard time trying to tame the rear-end unless you have the presence of mind to get back on the gas (to combat oversteer) and know how to countersteer. In an emergency, you might not have the luxury.

The parking lot is a good place to practice nga. You will learn to recognize the balance of the car in a safe environment, and recognize the onset of understeer, snap-oversteer, and, in the case of rear-drivers, power-oversteer.

By learning how far over the limit the car has to be to spin or plow, you learn how much leeway you have in avoiding a possible accident.

Good rule of thumb: A car can only do so much at one time. If you ask it to brake, it'll brake, if you ask it to accelerate, it'll accelerate, if you ask it to turn, it'll turn. If you ask it to do two things at once, it can only do a little bit of both.

Oh, and keep six eyes on the road at all times, give other cars lots and lots of leeway, and stay aware of your escape routes. If you don't have any, be extra vigilant and careful.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you brake during the swerving maneuver and you're in a comfort-tuned front wheel driver with low grip, chances are, you're transferring anywhere from 80-90% of the car's weight to the front wheels. This will lead to understeer in most cases, but if you suddenly turn as this is happening, it can lead to snap oversteer, sending you sideways into the object you're trying to avoid.

Of course, if you have relatively good tires, the car may not go all the way into a spin, but it may start to fish-tail, and you'll have a hard time trying to tame the rear-end unless you have the presence of mind to get back on the gas (to combat oversteer) and know how to countersteer. In an emergency, you might not have the luxury.
    this is what i was talking about in my previous post

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt View Post
    this is what i was talking about in my previous post
    Pero, take note, using the gas to straighten the car out will only work for a front-driver or four-wheel drive vehicle, and only under certain conditions.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bbt View Post
    hehe kasi thinking about it, the reason you're skidding is that you're wheels have basically run out of grip na. if you brake or just wait for the car to regain control by itself, edi parang hinintay mo lang bumalik yung grip.
    Well.. yes nawalan ako ng grip because maulan din noon and I was in a highspeed.. Any kind of car will lose control if it is driving too fast.. (any tire design is also useless..)

problem is, what if you don't regain grip and the sliding progressess into a full-on slide? whereas if you power out of the skid, you are able to end it more quickly and regain control. diba? hehe ewan ko lang pero parang thinking of the physics, stepping on the gas makes more sense. might be wrong though
    Nasabi na din ni boss kiper yung sasabihin ko..

btw..new cars are equip with brake distribution force, abs, etc.. for safety..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Evasive maneuvers, avoiding accidents, driving skills, etc