New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    unless the fill tube of your a/t transmission extends all the way up the top part of the engine, it's best not to wade through floods higher than the lower part of you bumper. dito papasok yung tubig eh, sa fill/check hole ng tranny. and unlike sa m/t na kahit mahaluan ng tubig yung fluid, pag sa a/t ito sigurado sabog tranny mo pag ginamit ng matagal at may tubig.

i'm told na hindi ka dapat palipat lipat ng gear sa a/t while moving fast, like downhill.

engine jerk sa tranny that you speak of is called shift shock. normal for a/t cars manufactured before 2006... not so normal pag Z plate ka na at may malakas na shift shock pa din.

fuel economy while driving an a/t really depends on the year of manufacture. i've found that kahit abusuhin ko yung a/t na 03 civic ko, parehas lang konsumo namin nung kapitbahay ko na naka '02 pero m/t. the newer generation a/ts, or those made after '01, are quite thrifty na din.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post

2. when parking, full brakes > then handbrake> release brakes >shift to P > turn off.... i understand this is the procedure... should i be concerned that the engine jerks noticeably when passing R when shifting from D to P... when i drove manual, i'd shift to 1st gear when parked after i've turned off the engine, but im guessing that won't work here... someone advised me that i should do this: brakes > shift to P > handbrake > release brakes> turn off, but im trying to follow the manual, just concerned about the jerk if it indicates i'm stressing the engine because of the handbrake.
    Paps, hindi ba dapat when parking: Full Brakes > Handbrake > SHIFT to P > Release Brakes > Switch off.

Kasi from my experiences, the transmission wont allow you to shift to P unless you are pressing on the brakes. Thats either from D > N > R > P or N > R > P.

I dont even release the brakes on my car before turning it off. Force of habit i guess...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    * zhandros, the car i'm using allows shifting without stepping on the brakes, i can't remove the key unless it's in P tho. i would've done that also (shift to P then release brakes) but i read in this forum shifting to P should be last to make sure the vehicle's weight (specially if in slight incline) is carried by the handbrake and not the P setting... it's not indicated in the manual when to release the brakes.

*voltcastillo, got it, thank you for the tip re flooding. re shift shock, it's the new altis, the jerk feels like running over a small marble or a water hose, small jerk but you can feel it.

*lazyfoot, thanks for the tips. re engine braking, im trying to understand when and how to best apply this because it was especially pointed out in the manual as vs relying on brakes, that and that it's not advisable to shift to neutral while speeding (two things i did quite a lot on m/t).

thanks for the quick reply, guys.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    * zhandros, the car i'm using allows shifting without stepping on the brakes, i can't remove the key unless it's in P tho. i would've done that also (shift to P then release brakes) but i read in this forum shifting to P should be last to make sure the vehicle's weight (specially if in slight incline) is carried by the handbrake and not the P setting... it's not indicated in the manual when to release the brakes.
    Paps, try mo lang to step on the brakes while shifting the transmission to park, coz i think yan yung reason why nag jerk sya when shifting.

Even if the car allows you not to step on the brakes while shifting, maybe just maybe, mawala yung jerking motion sa sabi mo if you do step on the brakes pag shift mo to P.

Suggestion lang po paps. Hope to Help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AT Driving tips?