New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I always had a preference for a roomy car especially when I'm the one sitting at the back seat. So, only a Camry or Sonata-sized car will do. 200 hp for such car is a definite must, especially with a full compliment of passengers.

That's based from my experience while I was in RP and riding with 3 friends in a souped up Celeste. Well, it felt souped up with just the driver. It didn't feel so souped up with us 4 in it. That wasn't too bad if our driver was a clear-thinking one. But one day, the moron decided to overtake a car (at Quirino Ave near the Sucat Road junction) with a Saulog bus going the opposite way and bearing down on us really fast. Our driver pushed the gas, but, it was barely enough. The Saulog bus slammed it brakes and we managed to squeak by (less than a meter between us). But, we thought we were going to die that day. When we found out we were still in one piece, we proceeded to beat up our driver even though he was our longtime friend. We stopped beating him up only because he was still driving the car. Of course, we cooled off soon after and even joked afterwards.....(Naaaa! He screamed like a giii-irl!).
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 23rd, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    hmmmm if RP in general. i would have to say 150hp on the wheels is adequate enough. for province people like me. take as much hp and torque as the car can give it. hehehehe

only on city with huge traffic (ex metro manila) do we not use hp and tq much. but beyond that. torque very imprtant for those family weekend trips out of the city. for us in the province. for its load carrying capability. and for those compacts with big hp (inthe phils) like the SiR. we can strecth those 160hp legs here. thats why im putting turbo on mine

another example would be the new crv with its k20/k24 engine. in manila they could get could probably use the k05 of that most of the time. here in the province. we can defintely use the whole k24 of it. so its mostly were you live here in the phils.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun View Post
    what is a crown vic???? are you a fireman, postman or something?? heheheh
    OT
    A Crown Vic is the Ford Crown Victoria which is the choice for most police agencies. It's hard to tell if the white Crown Vic is a police car because alot of the cars now do not have lights on the roof but inside or in the grill hidden from view. It helps the cars get faster top speed and hide from speeders not having lights on the roof. As for the second question, I check people in at club fed.

BTT
    Well when I drove my wife's Toyota Corolla GLI in Manila the power it had was more than enough for city driving. But if I was to use it at NLEX for a long trip I would want something with more power since we regulary got passed by trucks.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just wondering what the highest official speed limits are in the Philippines and where. That would help somewhat in determining how much hp is really enough and if it's really a speed enforcement issue rather than needing more hp.

OT
    Next time we're in CA, I'll take some pictures if the CHP comes along. It's funny how a cop car has the freeway to himself and a wall of traffic trailing back maybe 2-3 hundred feet behind just waiting for him to get off an exit.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    65 mph? The cops must be nearby. If the cops aren't there, it's more like 75 mph on the slow lane and +85 mph on the fast lanes. Then, when a CHP car comes along, everyone stays behind the cop. No one dares pass. Many times, I've yelled, "You bunch of hypocrites!" .
    Jun, funny how you mentioned this. Just this morning we had our annual Safety brief, one of the topics is about safe driving and our guess speaker is a CHP officer. He said that normally he drives on the freeway at 75mph on his bike, and he really hates it if you pass him by, I think he has a point here, how can you pass a cop doing 75mph on a 65mph speed zone? But I'm with you here Jun, I too hate it when everybody slows down just because there's a CHP up ahead. And he continue on by saying that he (speaking for himself and not the CHP as a whole) won't even pull you over unless you went over 85mph on his radar gun and that he may give you a ticket or just a warning.
    Last edited by Camgen6; May 24th, 2007 at 09:06 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Eh, I was once in the fast lane doing 85mph at 11pm going to a friend's house. Out of nowhere comes this Crown Vic in the carpool lane doing probably 100mph and just whizzed by, didn't even pull me over and just completely ignored me.

I sometimes see unmarked police cars here too, dead giveaway yung pagiging Crown Victoria nila, and/or yung amber park lights in between the headlights, or the silhouette of the light bar on the roof if so equipped. Another dead give away is the spotlight on the driver A pillar.

One of these days I'd like to at least own a former police car with the whole police package save for the light bar and shot gun hehe (they can sell those to private citizens right? I mean after X years of service...?) and just drive on the freeway so everybody slows down and nobody would dare go in front of me or pass me

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Just wondering what the highest official speed limits are in the Philippines and where. That would help somewhat in determining how much hp is really enough and if it's really a speed enforcement issue rather than needing more hp.

OT
    Next time we're in CA, I'll take some pictures if the CHP comes along. It's funny how a cop car has the freeway to himself and a wall of traffic trailing back maybe 2-3 hundred feet behind just waiting for him to get off an exit.
    80 km/h. No kidding.

On the highways, though, it's officially 100 km/h, but they'll let you off if you're doing under 120 km/h on the North Expressway, simply to make room for speedometer error.

On the South Expressway, it depends on what the officers had for lunch. They sometimes catch people for doing 105... often catches people by surprise, because according to their speedometers, they're still doing 95-100 km/h. It also caught my cousin by surprise when he was caught for doing 50 km/h in that alley between Skyway Toll Plazas. They put a 40 km/h restriction on that road (which nobody follows), while on the rest of the Skyway, minimum speed (unenforced) is supposedly 80 km/h. Thus, he was speeding up to merge on the Skyway and they nabbed him... the bastards.

Of course, those are official speed limits... what people actually drive at is another thing entirely... ...overtaking and obstacle avoidance become pretty scary when you're driving beside an 18-wheeler burning rubber at over 100 km/h on a road that looks like a rally stage.
    Last edited by niky; May 24th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    In my opinion a former police car will generally have more hard and extreme miles on it, in just about every sort of driving condition, when compared to a ordinary similar car, secondly the miles shown on the odometer would not reflect the true usage and hours, some of the police cars run all day to keep the battery charged, as they need to keep the police radio on, and a comfortable temperature in side for the occupants, if I wanted a car that people might think is a police car,

I would buy the same make and model that was more pampered from the private sector, then add some of the finishing touches to complete the look, yes I can relate to why some one might want the police car look, as rudeness and recklessness on the roads seems common place, and you might have some added degree of safety with out people cutting in front at the last few seconds etc.

in some ways I think the police encourage speeding by allowing people to ordinarily drive a little over the speed limit, thus creating the psychological effect that a little over the speed limit is somehow actually the limit, then when you go a bit beyond this point you are quite a bit over the actual limit, and getting caught at a higher speed means paying a higher fine, so they stop fewer people but make up for it with higher fines at a higher speeds, a police car is some thing that I find some what of an enigma as in some ways it’s cool but in other ways it’s not.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenhillsKid View Post
    Noticed the RP insted of PI. I guess that's the "PC" term to call Pinas....
    actually hehe, the PC term for Pinas is PH ... OT lang. now back to the topic.

I drive a 145hp car, just enough for my daily trips Sta. Rosa-Alabang-Sta. Rosa. Just enough to cruise 120-140kph sa SSH. Mas matipid sa hiway. Good thing, di ako apektado ng metro traffic.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clem View Post
    In my opinion a former police car will generally have more hard and extreme miles on it, in just about every sort of driving condition, when compared to a ordinary similar car, secondly the miles shown on the odometer would not reflect the true usage and hours, some of the police cars run all day to keep the battery charged, as they need to keep the police radio on, and a comfortable temperature in side for the occupants, if I wanted a car that people might think is a police car,

I would buy the same make and model that was more pampered from the private sector, then add some of the finishing touches to complete the look, yes I can relate to why some one might want the police car look, as rudeness and recklessness on the roads seems common place, and you might have some added degree of safety with out people cutting in front at the last few seconds etc.

in some ways I think the police encourage speeding by allowing people to ordinarily drive a little over the speed limit, thus creating the psychological effect that a little over the speed limit is somehow actually the limit, then when you go a bit beyond this point you are quite a bit over the actual limit, and getting caught at a higher speed means paying a higher fine, so they stop fewer people but make up for it with higher fines at a higher speeds, a police car is some thing that I find some what of an enigma as in some ways it’s cool but in other ways it’s not.
    I meant not just the looks but the equipment as well. Higher capacity cooling system, suspension upgrades, reinforcement of the chassis, etc...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Do you really need that much Hp in RP?