New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Love em or hate em?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Musclecars are the greatest!

25 80.65%
  • No way. they are useless pieces of junk that should be put out of their misery.

6 19.35%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex View Post
    if i had to cast my vote, i'd say it would be: "i love it". i'm not so old but i grew up admiring these cars. mind you, such cars were already classics even before i'm born.

what drew my interest to them (muscle cars), is that the nostalgia and the history behind it. it's like owning a piece of history. imagine, every time you rev it up, you blew away a pieze of ozone layer!

seriously, mas pinagtitinginan ka nang tao kapag naka muscle car ka. besides, it is much way simpler to tinker with. all mechanicals. if i may, i would like to compare it with human muscles:

Modern Cars (Rice, et al) = Steroid induced power. More focused on having the most horses underneath the hood.

Muscle Car = All Muscles or in other words, all natural. More focused on having the most muscles underneath the hood.

as far as i'm concerned, i'm hell bent on torquey motor. sure i'd appreciate the horses, but the torque really got me.

while it is true that muscle cars are heavy bunch, it is always amaze me of the power (actually, torque it generates).

one of these days, dadaan talaga ako kila sir turbo. lapit lang sa amin yung talyer nya e.
    All subjective claims. "All motor" is one of the most amusing jargon I've come across in the car world.

As for me it's not the power (mainly, at least), it's the looks. They're not going to make cars that look like that anymore, with all the safety-this-aerodynamic-that-fuel-efficient-those thinking. Any muscle car stands out on the road. Damn, I wish I was rich so I can buy that 4-door Chevelle from my granduncle.

To further illustrate the subjectiveness of taste in cars: The fastback-style Mustang is the most expensive, but guess what? I don't even like it. I prefer the coupe version much better.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    OT
    The AE86 is a legend in its own right not because of output but because it's a relatively lightweight and durable engine. I'm not sure of the proper term. "Perfectly-balanced" seems to be the closest term that comes to mind. A perfectly balanced engine coupled with an equally balanced chassis makes for great drift/mountain road-carving cars.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    It's alright,I havent seen a young asian driver here in the states driving a restored muscle car.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    yup. because it must evolve so it has modern tech. now retro is based on design. the new chrysler is inspired by the orig 300 series of chrysler in the 50s. even the first incarnation of the BMW z3 was inspired by the 507s (or was it 509s) of the 50s. Miatas of roadsters of the past. even now the new charger, etc. from a design standpoint do you dislike these cars? if so that isnt a prob since you are entitled to an opinion. but for many they epitomize cars with soul as opposed to a, no offense, Korean car that may have the latest tech.

hate to say this but even concept cars may have some "nostalgic" (shudder) inspiration. "Classic" means enduring in terms of design and timeless. now adding all the tech parts and modernities are for it to keep up with the times. but then again we are entitled to our opinions as you have yours of course. it is just hard to look at things in a vacuum.
    the retro thingy is good to look at but not bec. it has that "classic" touch. i prefer that it has more of a fashion sense.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    It's alright,I havent seen a young asian driver here in the states driving a restored muscle car.
    Where you at? I've seen Asians driving V8's in the midwest. I've seen a Pinoy with a beautifully restored red, 1970 Firebird complete with flaming hood chicken in Reno NV. Most Asians I've seen prefer modern V8's though. Mustangs seem to be the overwhelming favorite with the Pontiac GTO second.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Where you at? I've seen Asians driving V8's in the midwest. I've seen a Pinoy with a beautifully restored red, 1970 Firebird complete with flaming hood chicken in Reno NV. Most Asians I've seen prefer modern V8's though. Mustangs seem to be the overwhelming favorite with the Pontiac GTO second.
    northeast.I dunno man,I don't have a thing for muscle cars,i think i'm a typical asian guy.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    northeast.I dunno man,I don't have a thing for muscle cars,i think i'm a typical asian guy.
    So am I. Heck, I was born in Japan. But da*n fellow Pinoys. I want to slap some of them silly. For some reason, they think I'm Mexican and look at me warily, at least until I say, "Uy, pare! Kumusta na!"

Of course, many Mexicans have a love for big V8 cars. But, the way they butcher them makes me want to cry sometimes.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Of course, many Mexicans have a love for big V8 cars. But, the way they butcher them makes me want to cry sometimes.
    lmao.

------
    I think most filipinos leaving in the philippines wants a muscle car for *rare* factor.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    lmao.

------
    I think most filipinos leaving in the philippines wants a muscle car for *rare* factor.
    Better than my Dad. When he retired and we decided to move to the Philippines, he sold his (really, really) rare V8 Dodge Dart and chose instead to import our (gasp!) Ford Pinto. He was so proud of that Pinto because it was an automatic.....little gas bomb on wheels.....

Add: Well, a Ford Pinto satisfies the "rare" factor. All throughout the years we stayed in the Philippines, we never saw another one besides ours. But, you wouldn't want one, trust me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 10th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex View Post
    OT: speaking of music, wouldn't it be nice to hear old school classics inside a muscle car like pink floyds or sting and the police, etc.

lately ito ang mga inclinations ko. mga classic rocks at musics- to say the least, era. ganun ba talaga ang tumatanda or simply because i wanted to deviate from the norm of pop culture?
    What about "Highway to Hell"? or "Highway Star"? The latter was a really great tume to race down the road as we did before at the old NLEX with Deep Purple at full blast.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Do you love or hate musclecars?